Violent Criminals

A person commits a violent crime (rape, murder, child molestation, etc.):

• They're ALL mentally unstable and should get the chair.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • They're ALL mentally unstable and should go to an institution.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're ALL nuts, but I don't believe in the death penalty so they should get a life prison term.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some are truly mentally unstable and those should go to an institution; others should get the chair.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Some are truly mentally unstable and those should go to an institution; others should a life sentenc

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other/Explain.

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Gee, guess which one I picked? :lol: And I'll tell you something else - I'll bet these little skeezers who cry fake rape would think twice about it if they knew their fake attacker was going to be put to death. Right now they figure they can cash out or the guy will do a few years in prison so it seems worth it to them. I'll bet you'd see a lot less false reports.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Gee, guess which one I picked? :lol: And I'll tell you something else - I'll bet these little skeezers who cry fake rape would think twice about it if they knew their fake attacker was going to be put to death. Right now they figure they can cash out or the guy will do a few years in prison so it seems worth it to them. I'll bet you'd see a lot less false reports.

Actually, I bet they wouldn't care any more/less ... after all, it's all about them ... now, you throw a serious sentence on THEM for crying foul and I bet those numbers go down. :really:

willie

Originally posted by tatercake
Actually, I bet they wouldn't care any more/less ... after all, it's all about them ... now, you throw a serious sentence on THEM for crying foul and I bet those numbers go down. :really:
:yeahthat:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by tatercake
now, you throw a serious sentence on THEM for crying foul and I bet those numbers go down.
For real. There should be a HUGE penalty for ruining someone's life.

Mig got me interested in insanity pleas, which got me interested in Jeffrey Dahmer, which got me interested in JonBenet Ramsey. So I looked her up on CrimeLibrary.com and did you know that there was absolutely NO evidence to suggest that either of her parents killed her or had anything to do with it? The news kept saying there was no sign of forced entry - but there actually was. They said there were signs that she had been previously sexually assaulted - a lie. And now not only did they lose their daughter, but they've been branded by the media and had their lives destroyed.

Hell, I believed the parents were guilty, too, based on what we were hearing on the news. :ohwell:

K

Kain99

Speaking of the Media.... I watched Shattered Glass this weekend. True story about a reporter that cooked 27 out of 41 stories while working at The New Republic Magazine. (preferred in flight reading on Air Foirce One.)

Amazing....:mad:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
If I were setting policy for the criminal justice system, I would decree that anyone convicted of first-degree murder be sentenced to lifelong isolation from the human race. A tiny 8x8 cell with no doors or windows, no TV or radio or books, lights on 24 hours a day, no shower, no clothes, a hole in the floor as the toilet, bread and water delivered through a slot.

If the person killed someone I loved, I would want them sentenced to lifelong physical and emotional torture. I'd even ask for a prison pass so I could visit anytime I wanted to administer the torture myself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Tonio
I'd even ask for a prison pass so I could visit anytime I wanted to administer the torture myself.
Seek help, Tonio. You have serious psychiatric problems.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Seek help, Tonio. You have serious psychiatric problems.

If a criminal killed Larry or one of your children, wouldn't you want to make that bastard suffer pain? I know you would stand up for yourself and not let yourself be pushed around like that.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by kwillia
If a criminal killed one of my loved ones, I would want them to be put to sleep via lethal injection. That would be justice enough for me. They are not worthy of me spending the rest of my life harboring such hatred and ill intent. I would not want to give them that power over me.

:yeahthat: plus, I'd be pizzed over the extra $1.25/day of my taxes that'd be going to provide even the limited shelter/food you suggest, Tonio.
old_sparky_100_100.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If a criminal killed one of my loved ones, I would want them to be put to sleep via lethal injection. That would be justice enough for me. They are not worthy of me spending the rest of my life harboring such hatred and ill intent. I would not want to give them that power over me.
^ What she said ^

I know you would stand up for yourself and not let yourself be pushed around like that.
What does standing up for yourself have to do with torturing someone?

Makavide

Not too talkative
I am not a big proponet of the death penalty - costs too much money and takes too long.

Though, I think we should change our prison system. Get rid of all the cells (they have more room then the typical sailor on a ship) and make the prison just one big room. Then make their family resposnible for "keeping them alive". If the prisoner wants food, clothing or other things, the family proviedes it and if the prisoner is capable of keeping the things then they survive - jungle rules apply. We need to quit coddling them, they went against civilization, so why do they need to the right to live in a civilized manner.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
What does standing up for yourself have to do with torturing someone?

Because that person is nothing more than a grown-up psychopathic version of a bully. He is out to get you, and he takes pleasure in pushing you around and making you feel afraid and helpless. The only way to stop people like that is to make him feel the same feelings of fear and helplessness that he made you feel. The cold, clinical execution method of lethal injection feels like you're running away from a fight instead of defending yourself. When you act like you're not man (or woman) enough to fight your own battles, you're only encouraging others to prey upon what they perceive as your weakness.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think that there are both sick people and there are ruthless people. I don't think the current use of the insanity defense is working very well and at times the heinous acts of the insane deserve the death penalty too.

Each case is different and should be treated as such. But couldn’t we gain a little humanity from the death penalty by getting those awaiting the sentences as healthy as possible and terminating them medically while doing organ harvest for transplant. Thereby getting the “eye for an eye” justice and extending or saving another life or two.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I chose Other...
One, I'm not sure about the death penalty anymore because of all the cases that have been turned over in recent years by DNA evidence.

Two, I don't think perpetrators of involuntary manslaughter and the like should be put to death. I know it sounds corny, but I keep remembering Nicholas Cage in ConAir. So, I do think violent crimes need to have "grades" of violence (I guess that's what 1st degree, 2nd degree, etc. are).

It's a tough question of which I don't know the answer.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Makavide
Though, I think we should change our prison system. Get rid of all the cells (they have more room then the typical sailor on a ship) and make the prison just one big room. Then make their family resposnible for "keeping them alive". If the prisoner wants food, clothing or other things, the family proviedes it and if the prisoner is capable of keeping the things then they survive - jungle rules apply. We need to quit coddling them, they went against civilization, so why do they need to the right to live in a civilized manner.

If you get rid of all the cells, how do you propose that the guards defend themselves? I think you'd see an increase in riots.

And you'd still have to have prisons for different types of crimes. I don't think someone who laundered money should be in the same prison as murderers, especially in an open room system as you propose. All criminals are not the same.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
What are you "defending yourself" from?

From other criminals. Look at Spain. By caving instead of fighting, that country painted a target on its azz with a "Terrorists, Come and Get Us" sign. The only thing our enemy respects is pain and brutality.

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by sleuth14
If you get rid of all the cells, how do you propose that the guards defend themselves? I think you'd see an increase in riots.

And you'd still have to have prisons for different types of crimes. I don't think someone who laundered money should be in the same prison as murderers, especially in an open room system as you propose. All criminals are not the same.

I had an idea for a new type of prison...came up with this on last deployment...

Instead of decommisioning an aircraft carrier (not nukes) or other large ship (oceanliners, cargo ships, etc.) we should turn them into floating prisons. Just dissasemble the drive compenents and steering, but leave the engines in for a power source. Tow them out to sea, and drop anchor. It doesnt have to be very far out, 10 miles would do. Then just haul the prisoners out there. They could run their own galley, laundry, and everything else. For work, they could keep up the ship, repairing and the like. Using the prisoners for any type of work which wouldnt pose a security risk (i.e. divers)

I thought the aircraft carrier would be the ideal platform because it has the huge flight deck (exercise area) along with the hanger bay. Then you already have all the bunkroom setup along with the galley and laundry. and for the trouble makers, the brig is already installed as well...maybe it could be expanded...

This wouldnt be practical for a maximum security mind you, but you could let the prisoners run loose around the ship...where are they gonna go right?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From other criminals. Look at Spain. By caving instead of fighting, that country painted a target on its azz with a "Terrorists, Come and Get Us" sign. The only thing our enemy respects is pain and brutality.
But if we just kill them outright, we still get the last laugh and they're gone for good. We don't have to spend another dime of our money feeding and housing them.