Any local F1 fans?

Petter Solberg

What type of racing are locals into other than NASCAR.
I am a fan of F1 and Sports Car racing, primarily the SPEED Challenge. I also watch a little WRC, Superbike, Grand Prix Bikes.
Rob

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
We hit Budd's Creek every father's day for the Pro-National dirt bike races ... I'm not as much into it as Nascar, but Tater and our DQ enjoy it thoroughly. :smile:

I like it cause I get a nice tan while we're there. :cool:

Broke90GSX

I love watching F1/CART on Speed, WRC is the ####, & I make it a point to turn the channel anytime something NASCAR related comes on. My name is Rob & I'm addicted to cars.

Rob

Broke90GSX

Re: broke

Originally posted by tatercake
You're "addicted to cars", but "turn the channel when nascar comes on"? :confused:

NASCAR isn't racing. I believe in having to actually wiggle the steering wheel left & right. In general I hate any oval tracks, even if it means F1/CART running in circles, I don't watch, it's to boring.

Rob

crabcake

Re: Re: broke

Originally posted by Broke90GSX
I believe in having to actually wiggle the steering wheel left & right.

they do that ... to remove the debris from their tires under caution. :shrug:

:wink: I gotcha.

dustin

UAIOE
Everyone here knows I'm a motorgeek. Missed the F1 race at UAE (or was it Bahrain) last Sunday...WRC is a fav, anything with bikes (yes even dirt track).

NASCAR is ok, I tend to not watch it because of the regs and rules. Too restrictive. I read somewhere that Toyota spent Millions developing a carb'd, pushrod, 350 V-8 to run in the truck series because they had never even made one! Letting the manufacturers introduce newer, better technology into racing helps in advancement of technology found in consumer vehicles. Trickle down effect. Some say its for safety reasons. Horse puckey! If the organizations are worried about the vehicles reaching a certain speed, you install speed restrictive electronics on all the cars. The same electronics on all of them....they are already found on production vehicles....and have a setting programmed into each car at each track. Different tracks, different speeds. Then leave all the rest of the mods to the manufacturers to let them do what they want. The only other restriction I can see is weight....and that can be solved with lead bars like in drag racing...

Ok off my soapbox...

I'm waiting for some more newbies to show their faces!

Petter Solberg

I too am not much of a NASCAR fan, although the old muscle cars/stock cars of the past are awesome. I grew up with the Indy 500, and was in awe over the sheer speed that an Indy Car can produce, but turning left for two hours just isn't all that exciting. I would rather see a car put through the test of turning left, right, braking and accelerating. F1 shows this in the best manner, and the technology involved is a marvel.
Rob

Last edited:

tater

nope. Don't care to watch a bunch of foreigners race cars that basically drive themselves with all the electronics, traction control, etc, etc. They're basically like F-16's with wheels. Just my opinion though. To each his own. :shrug:

As far as the same ole tired azz arguement of Nascar just turning left, going in circles, and being boring, I guess if you're not into it, then I could see that. Some peeps are into golf and like to watch that on the tube. I couldn't. Depends what you're in to. I like the close racing, personality conflicts, the points battle, and yes.... even sometimes the crashes (as long as they aren't serious and it's someone like Kurt Busch or Jeff Gordon :lol:).

And.... I've been to lots of different events and Nascar BY FAR is the most fun, with the best atmosphere, and the best fans (IMHO).

Gives me permawood just thinking about it. DAMMIT! Is it time for Richmond yet?!?!?! :yay:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And there is always Watkins Glen and Infineon (Sonoma) where they go left and right (on purpose).

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Peter Solberg
They just don't do it all that well.
I prefer the NASCAR vehicles over the plastic F1s that can't even support a jack and are no more than 2 feet in height. Looks like advanced go-carting to me.

Petter Solberg

Originally posted by tater
nope. Don't care to watch a bunch of foreigners race cars that basically drive themselves with all the electronics, traction control, etc, etc. They're basically like F-16's with wheels. Just my opinion though. To each his own. :shrug:

As far as the same ole tired azz arguement of Nascar just turning left, going in circles, and being boring, I guess if you're not into it, then I could see that. Some peeps are into golf and like to watch that on the tube. I couldn't. Depends what you're in to. I like the close racing, personality conflicts, the points battle, and yes.... even sometimes the crashes (as long as they aren't serious and it's someone like Kurt Busch or Jeff Gordon :lol:).

And.... I've been to lots of different events and Nascar BY FAR is the most fun, with the best atmosphere, and the best fans (IMHO).

Gives me permawood just thinking about it. DAMMIT! Is it time for Richmond yet?!?!?! :yay:

As far as a technology standpoint goes, yes a F1 car is more closely related to a F-16 than any other race car. They don't drive themselves at all. There is still a human turning the wheel, shifting, braking and accelerating the car. F1 cars out brake, outhandle, and in most cases out accelerate far better than all other cars. So what is boring about it? Yes Ferrari seems to always win, but there are more places on the podium than 1st place.

Petter Solberg

Originally posted by Ken King
I prefer the NASCAR vehicles over the plastic F1s that can't even support a jack and are no more than 2 feet in height. Looks like advanced go-carting to me.

Good rebutle:rolleyes:

Plastic F1s?
More like Carbon Fibre

Can't even support a jack?
What are you talking about? F1 cars are extremely rigid.

Looks like advanced go-carting?
Well maybe. I know of shifter karts that can give a NASCAR a good run for the money on a twisty course, and only have a 250cc engine.

I know most locals prefer NASCAR, and NASCAR is OK. I started the thread with "Any local F1 fans", not, "lets compare NASCAR and F1". Apples and oranges.

Petter Solberg

Originally posted by tater
:confused:

Well, go show 'em how it's done............ peter

There are less common forms of auto racing such as Grand Am, SPEED GT, Aussie Super Cars, Rolex Sports Cars and even street legal exotic sports cars that can complete a road course such as Watkins Glen quicker than a NASCAR.

Broke90GSX

Originally posted by Peter Solberg
There are less common forms of auto racing such as Grand Am, SPEED GT, Aussie Super Cars, Rolex Sports Cars and even street legal exotic sports cars that can complete a road course such as Watkins Glen quicker than a NASCAR.

Yep & when was the last time there was a NASCAR event in DC? Just last year the National Gran Prix came to RFK stadium/Anacostia area. :) I love the humming of the F1's at idle, then the rising crescendo of RPMs screaming for the 1st place battle at the drop of the green light. The following panic that ensues due to 25-30 drivers all trying to squeeze into the first chicane is an event in it self. If you've never watched a F1 race before, I suggest you take a look & listen.

Rob

crabcake

Originally posted by Broke90GSX
Yep & when was the last time there was a NASCAR event in DC?

:duh: Where is there room for a Nascar track in DC? Even if it was a half-mile oval like Bristol ... :shrug:

Clear the idiots off the beltway though and I'm sure they'll flock! :lol: