US Navy downsizing thousands

acommondisaster

It's been awhile since I was in the Navy, or stationed at a navy duty station, but I always seemed to have the luck of being someplace where we were short handed. Port and starboard watches, barracks duty every weekend for months or just plain not enough people to man all the posits in the work center. Not complaining, I just remember how much it sucked. I feel sorry for the people in mid-career for having to leave the Navy, especially when unemployment is so high in the civilian world. With any luck, they'll get hired at twice the salary as contractors to do the jobs they've left - because that's how our govt. rolls.

Asmodeus

....=o&o>
All the services are doing it this year... USAF - 40,000, USA - 100,000, USMC - 10,000, USN - 3,000

Combs as usual is full of sh!t. It has nothing to do with sequestration and it is not performance based. There are no military position cuts related to sequestration.

Republicans are NOT in charge of the DoD. Conservatives are not driving Military cuts. eff you Combs, you POS liar... As usual the democrats have all the management skills of celery. Unfortunately this has propagated down to Obama political appointee military planners. Panetta and his political cronies he has taken along with him to every single agency he's effed up have got to go.

My son was caught up in the DOS Rollback done by the USAF. Why? Because his DEROS was dead on the date they have to be out by. Even though his entire chain-of-command tried to keep him. So now he will be out more than 3 years before his DOS by contract. When he asked for terminal leave it was denied, why? Manning... WTF!!! You are excess but we cannot afford to let you go. :smack:

MMDad

Lem Putt
It's been awhile since I was in the Navy, or stationed at a navy duty station, but I always seemed to have the luck of being someplace where we were short handed. Port and starboard watches, barracks duty every weekend for months or just plain not enough people to man all the posits in the work center. Not complaining, I just remember how much it sucked. I feel sorry for the people in mid-career for having to leave the Navy, especially when unemployment is so high in the civilian world. With any luck, they'll get hired at twice the salary as contractors to do the jobs they've left - because that's how our govt. rolls.

Contractors are laying off too. This is hitting everyone. Having the training and experience doesn't matter if they aren't hiring.