Dog Scratches All the Time

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
I have a doberman that scratches and bites at himself all the time. It drives me nuts. When we first got him in January, he was fine.

I took him to the vet and they scraped his back leg and looked at it under a microscope and it was negative. Then the vet pulled some hairs from that same area and he told us they were going to run a bacteria test on it and it would take 10-14 days. He put him on antibiotics, which are not helping. I feel like the bill I paid at the vet was for nothing. He's still scratching and biting.

He scratches the tops of his ears and there is some hair missing now. When I touch the backs of his back legs and a couple other area's on him, he jumps and run's, like it's sensitive.

I'm afraid the vet's going to say the bacteria test is negative and then I don't know what to do. He doesn't have flea's, so it's not that.

I don't know what to do.

Anyone have this problem with there dog or doberman?? If so, any info would be great.

TIA!!!

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
The vet did mention mites and I think that's why he scraped his leg and looked under the microscope and it came back negative.

The links that archimedes gave me was for benadryl and vitamins. I take it the benadryl is for allergies but what about the vitamins??

I have another dobie before this one for 13 years and he never had this problem, so I'm at a loss as to what this could be.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by tatgirl99
The vet did mention mites and I think that's why he scraped his leg and looked under the microscope and it came back negative.

The links that archimedes gave me was for benadryl and vitamins. I take it the benadryl is for allergies but what about the vitamins??

I have another dobie before this one for 13 years and he never had this problem, so I'm at a loss as to what this could be.

Was this pooch a puppy when you got him, or a bit older?

mainman

Set Trippin
Cut his legs off... Of course you will not be able to take him for walks anymore. You will have to take him for drags... problem solved though...:smile:

You are welcome...

Next?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by mainman
Cut his legs off... Of course you will not be able to take him for walks anymore. You will have to take him for drags... problem solved though...:smile:

You are a donkey!! :spank:

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
Originally posted by mainman

You are welcome...

Next?

:stooges:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Check his dog food. He might have developed a food allergy. My dog used to scratch too, tests always came up negative.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Sharon
Check his dog food. He might have developed a food allergy. My dog used to scratch too, tests always came up negative.

I was thinking allergies, too. If he didn't have this issue before, then it must be something he's newly developed. Allergies are so hard to figure out, but hopefully you can determine what it is sooner than later.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Some dogs are allergic/irritated by Carpet Fresh or stuff like that too.

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely try it.

I feel so bad for him, he just scratches and scratches and bites and bites at himself.

Oh an MM, if I ever met you, I would be putting some visine in your drink and locking the bathroom...hahaha.

S

starr

might want to try...

Oatmeal shampoo. My dog has pink very sensitive skin and the oatmeal helps a lot. You can buy it anywhere plus it neutralizes those doggie odors longer than anything I have tried. Hope this helps.

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by tatgirl99
Oh an MM, if I ever met you, I would be putting some visine in your drink and locking the bathroom...hahaha.
***note to self***

Dear Self,
Stay away from tatgirl
Your firend,
Me

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Do you have new carpet in your home, by chance? I've heard of animals and people having allergies to whatever the chemical/residue is that is on brand new carpet ... since he's probably on the floor, laying down a good bit, that might be the culprit. :shrug:

tatgirl99

Go Steelers!!!
Originally posted by appyday
What color is this Dobe? Is it a blue or a fawn? Where do you keep him/her..house dog or out side..If he has a dog house what are you using for bedding? Answer these and I will get back to you on some other ideas

He's black and tan. I used to have a blue dobie and know all about there skin disorders. He stays in the house all day when I'm at work.

There's nothing new in the house.

When we got him in January, he seemed ok. Then about 1 or 2 months later he started the scratching and biting. A couple weeks after I got him I did buy him a dog bed, and he laid on it all the time. Now he doesn't seem to want to lay on it. But there's nothing about the bed that has changed.

Right now he sleeps on the floor.