Worst Week For Veterans

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"This week, the Senate voted on the Veterans Jobs Corp Act, which would have provided much-needed jobs training programs for veterans, who have an unemployment rate higher than the national average despite their superior skill sets.

While the bill was expected to pass with wide-measures of bipartisan support, a Republican filibuster effectively killed the bill with a 58-40 vote.

Five Republican senators voted with the Senate Democrats, but the bill still fell two votes shorts of cloture needed to overcome the Republican filibuster. Notably, four Republican cosponsors of the bill — Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, John Boozman of Arkansas, Mike Johanns of Nebraska, and Richard Burr of North Carolina — all voted against their own bill, resulting in a failure of policy for Americans most deserving of government support.

To be clear, this bill should not be controversial, nor should it be viewed through a partisan lens. According to an article published by The Hill, “The $1 billion bill was to have paid for itself with new revenue over 10 years.”

The Republican critique of the act asserts that the bill could license the Veterans Administration to spend profligately in violation of the budget bill, while Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., the chairwoman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee, responds that adopting this view would place a hard cap on spending, potentially limiting the ability of the VA to best serve veterans.

Democrats and Republicans both loudly proclaim support for troops; however, this vote suggests that one party might be rhetorically but not substantively supportive of Veterans interests."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Are any vets really that upset that a tiny amount of money won't be spent to have veterans out chopping brush and picking up trash in national parks? Really??

MarieB

Here is the bill if anyone is interested

Bill Text - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

and, another view

Senator rips Obama’s new veterans jobs plan

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Sep 12, 2012 16:56:08 EDT

One of the Senate’s chief deficit hawks complained Wednesday that politicians were making false promises of jobs to veterans by discussing a bill that will never become law — and would provide only temporary work for veterans if it did.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., was referring to S 3457, the Veterans Job Corps Act, which would devote $1 billion over five years to creating law enforcement, firefighter and conservation jobs for veterans.

The underlying idea is that once veterans are trained, some would find permanent employment.

The measure, a pre-election priority for President Obama, was brought to the Senate floor for consideration without going through the normal legislative process.

But Coburn noted that the legislation is “not going anywhere in the House of Representatives” and charged that “what we are really doing is passing a bill for political reasons.”

The Senate took up the measure on Tuesday after a 95-1 procedural vote to at least begin debate, but it is unclear if any amendments will be considered or when a vote on final passage might come.

cont
Senator rips Obama’s new veterans jobs plan - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

CrashTest

Link to original article.

"This week, the Senate voted on the Veterans Jobs Corp Act, which would have provided much-needed jobs training programs for veterans, who have an unemployment rate higher than the national average despite their superior skill sets.

Why would job training be "much needed" for folks who already have a "superior skill set". And what happened to the GI Bill? I smell pandering.

Rt235

Why would job training be "much needed" for folks who already have a "superior skill set". And what happened to the GI Bill? I smell pandering.

Here ya go..great example of a young man with "superior skill set"
until he got injured and lost all 4 limbs.
Guess he cant use his bomb disposal skills in today job market.....
(BYW: Have you served?)

Morris joined the Navy in 2008 and found his passion in the explosive ordnance disposal unit.
Morris lost all 4 limbs after stepping on and improvised explosive device, or IED, in Afghanistan in May
Oh, he is only 23 years old.

Maybe he will run for office and kick some idiot arse!!!:buddies:
He will get my vote if he does!
Thank you Taylor not only for your service, but the sever sacrifice you gave in a war that 98% of this county cares less about.

Veterans care and we remember!

The new GI Bill.....:killingme Right fellow veterans?

Better yet, go and read his web site and what a typical day is for him.
www.taylormorris.org

Last edited:

terbear1225

Morris joined the Navy in 2008 and found his passion in the explosive ordnance disposal unit.
Morris lost all 4 limbs after stepping on and improvised explosive device, or IED, in Afghanistan in May

Thank you Taylor not only for your service, but the sever sacrifice you gave in a war that 98% of this county cares less about.

www.taylormorris.org

Which "law enforcement, firefighter and conservation" job training was going to help this guy. I greatly admire this young man's bravery but i highly doubt this job bill would have done him any good.

Rt235

Which "law enforcement, firefighter and conservation" job training was going to help this guy. I greatly admire this young man's bravery but i highly doubt this job bill would have done him any good.

You missed my point to the comment: "
Originally Posted by CrashTest

I was using Taylors "superior skill set": EOD, as an example and now as wounded warrior who will need retraining as he can no longer use his Superior Skill Set now..but his military training which we all got/get will help him recover from this and adapt to his new life! (It is only 4 months since the explosion.)

Thats all....

CrashTest

The author of the article seems confused about the high unemployment rate for vets despite "superior skills". All vets have superior skills but if those skills aren't marketable outside the military, then the vet will not find work. Author doesn't seem to understand that. Author implies a "skill" automatically means a job. If that was true, I'd have a job sitting on the couch eating donuts because I'm great at it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

www.taylormorris.org

And the job corps Bill would have done absolutely nothing for him, in fact if forced to participate he would have lost massive retraining and vocational benefits that he now has.

Someone in his situation already has benefits for school (100% tuition plus a stipend, plus disability) or 100% vocational training plus a stipend, and disability... No temporary jobs, but training to ensure long term employment.

Huge difference in benefits for veterans v disabled veterans. The GI Bill is the least of his benefits.... The loss he's survived no benefits will make up for, but using him and his Loss as political fodder shows how classless you are..

Last edited:

MarieB

The author of the article seems confused about the high unemployment rate for vets despite "superior skills". All vets have superior skills but if those skills aren't marketable outside the military, then the vet will not find work. Author doesn't seem to understand that. Author implies a "skill" automatically means a job. If that was true, I'd have a job sitting on the couch eating donuts because I'm great at it.

The author is a hack

the media is parroting the same line

I read an op ed a few weeks ago? in the NYT that was titled something like "who could oppose a job bill for veterans"

Whores

The bad thing is that not everyone takes the time or has the means? to really research and think about the nuts and bolts - they just see "a bill to help veterans has been voted down"

Rt235

And the job corps Bill would have done absolutely nothing for him, in fact if forced to participate he would have lost massive retraining and vocational benefits that he now has.

Someone in his situation already has benefits for school (100% tuition plus a stipend, plus disability) or 100% vocational training plus a stipend, and disability... No temporary jobs, but training to ensure long term employment.

Huge difference in benefits for veterans v disabled veterans. The GI Bill is the least of his benefits.... The loss he's survived no benefits will make up for, but using him and his Loss as political fodder shows how classless you are..

You know squat...so go do what you know best..go squat.

You dont get it do you?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You know squat...so go do what you know best..go squat.

You dont get it do you?

I might "get it" if you could explain how the subject jobs bill would have helped the person in your example.

Because all I saw was some political pandering.