Hooray for Phil!!!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Larry Gude
...He earned it!!!

Great, great Masters.

:biggrin:
Hey Larry, I was looking for this yesterday. Anyone think Tiger Woods will hire back that swing coach he got rid of?

Otter

Nothing to see here
...He earned it!!!

Great, great Masters.

:biggrin:

:yeahthat: Definitely earned it, unbelieveable golf down the stretch...and I was rooting for Els.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

...not any time soon.

The only way in which Tiger is in a 'slump' is that he is not winning Majors at the insane clip that he was before. He is human and you can only keep that level of play up for so long.

Right now, the single minded purpose is gone and that's the difference of maybe a stroke or two per round, 4-8 per tournament and, viola, 'slump'.

He has a great life and is pushing 30. He has money galore, the finace', homes, private jet. Instead of going to practice for two hours after every round and instead of practicing every day, the guy is living some life and I applaud him for doing so.

He's not cheating the fans because he's out there and he's trying hard, thinking, grinding. Had he kept up the old pace it is just as likely that he would be starting to fry and play 'worse' than he is.

Besides, The PGA is such a fine line between winning and finishing top 25 or so.

I think credit is due to his fellow competitors for stepping up their games as well. Tiger isn't giving them an inch but they have worked harder. They are practicing more.

Els so deserved to win yesterday for the way he played but all the extra work Phil has been doing paid off.

Remeber as well, before Tiger hooked up with Butch Harmon, he won the '97 Masters, setting the all time tournament record in the process, all with a swing that he had changed little from college.

Butch did change him alot and it did result in 7 more majors so he is due credit but say you gotta put $100 on the US Open in June...who is it gonna be?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Nope...

The only way in which Tiger is in a 'slump' is that he is not winning Majors at the insane clip that he was before. He is human and you can only keep that level of play up for so long.

Right now, the single minded purpose is gone and that's the difference of maybe a stroke or two per round, 4-8 per tournament and, viola, 'slump'.

Good point, Larry. I admit I wanted Tiger to win something like 10 Masters in a row for purely selfish reasons. He seemed like a golf god when he was on that "insane clip," and I wanted to tell my grandchildren what it was like to see him play. (Even better if I actually met Tiger.) Forty years from now, Bulls fans will be telling their grandchildren what it was like to see Air Jordan at his peak, just like kids in the '50s heard their grandparents talk about the Babe.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yep...

...what he has done IS legend in the game; 4 straight majors, 120 some consecutive cuts (which may be the most incredible feat of all) 6 consecutive wins (second to Nelsons 11).

Tiger is by NO MEANS even close to done. It think it would be wonderful if he kinda follows in Phils footsteps for awhile; marriage, children and then get back into hard when he feels like it.

Nicklaus won at Augusta at age 46 and I'd think it a safe bet that Tiger (and all hs peers) will be in better shape at 46 than Jack was.

So, Tiger has at least 15 years and 60 majors left in him before age is a serious factor, especially if he slows down now and stops to smell some roses.

One major every other year and we're looking at 16-17 to Jacks 18.

And, like I said, whose got your money for the last three this year?

It is good for the game that his is not as dominant. They all know they CAN play with him.

I wanna see him, Ernie, Vijay and Phil and maybe Sergio just brawling it out on the back nine some Major Sunday soon.

Ernies won majors before as has Vijay and now Phil.

And again, a few things go right, a stroke here or there and he might have been in contention Sunday. It's not like he shot 80-80 on the weekend.

mojorisin

Re: Nope...

Butch did change him alot and it did result in 7 more majors so he is due credit but say you gotta put $100 on the US Open in June...who is it gonna be? [/B]

I wouldn’t put my money on Tiger. Not with the way he has been pushing the ball. The long rough at the open is going to kill him.

He needs to get back with Butch. Self-analysis is not working for Tiger. It is always better for someone to look at your swing to see if you are getting off of plane.

Pete

Repete
Tiger played great but he still got into trouble. What made him great was the way he always got out of trouble. Between trees, out of 1 foot deep grass, under a root in a wet sandy hole. Poof he would get out no problem. His shots getting out of trouble were so spectacular that the question of "how did he get in trouble" was often missed.

mojorisin

Originally posted by Pete
Tiger played great but he still got into trouble. What made him great was the way he always got out of trouble. Between trees, out of 1 foot deep grass, under a root in a wet sandy hole. Poof he would get out no problem. His shots getting out of trouble were so spectacular that the question of "how did he get in trouble" was often missed.

You can’t count on scrambling all the time. Not against today’s pros. Look at phil, he starts worrying about hitting the ball in the fairway at Augusta instead of trying to over power every hole and he wins.