Question about a school program honoring Veterans

Moved_south

My sons elementary school is holding a program to honor veterans. He can send in information about veterans in the family he would like included in this program. He wants to include his grandfather (retired Marine) and his cousin (active marine). My question is this- is it inappropriate to include his cousin since he is active duty? In my mind, anyone who has served or is serving is a veteran and they all deserve to be honored, but is that correct? This may seem silly, but I don't want to something technically inappropriate. Thanks in advance.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
My sons elementary school is holding a program to honor veterans. He can send in information about veterans in the family he would like included in this program. He wants to include his grandfather (retired Marine) and his cousin (active marine). My question is this- is it inappropriate to include his cousin since he is active duty? In my mind, anyone who has served or is serving is a veteran and they all deserve to be honored, but is that correct? This may seem silly, but I don't want to something technically inappropriate. Thanks in advance.

They all should be honored, current service or past service, it shouldnt matter.

BernieP

Resident PIA
They all should be honored, current service or past service, it shouldnt matter.

I agree and I would think that was the intent.

However. there are two exclusiions
1. They fought for the Confederate States of America
2. They fought for the British (King George's) Army.

awpitt

Main Streeter

Absolutley, yes. When my sons were in elementary, they had a simular program. My sons brought in info and pics of all of their family members who served or were serving.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Serving members of the military are veterans. They may not yet be retired but they are veterans.

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

it's funny you say that, because I come across this fairly often. Having done 4 years honorably myself, often I have people tell me I am not a Veteran or try not to recognize me as one because I didnt do 20 and retire. :smack:

Serving members of the military are veterans. They may not yet be retired but they are veterans.

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
it's funny you say that, because I come across this fairly often. Having done 4 years honorably myself, often I have people tell me I am not a Veteran or try not to recognize me as one because I didnt do 20 and retire. :smack:

I did 4 years in the marines also and have had people say the same thing. You are a vet, eff them.

Mr_Bond_Got_Em

I did 4 years in the marines also and have had people say the same thing. You are a vet, eff them.

Ditto - 4 Years active in the Marines. 2001-2005, 3451.

Oohrah

VA recently passed a bill I believe to issue out state ID cards identifying Veterans. Hopefully MD will follow soon. Anyone else hear anything about this?

stgislander

PREMO Member
This is an interesting discussion. In my own case, I never considered myself a veteran until after I hung up my uniform for the last time. And that was after combined active and reserve service.