Veteran offended by Romney’s comment

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Dear Mr. Romney,

On behalf of all Ohio and West Virginia Disabled Veterans I apologize for being a Tax Slacker. Yep, you said that 47% of Americans don't pay our fair share and that we are the problem. Tax Slackers. It is a sad thing to admit that my Veterans disability benefits are not taxed. I am equally ashamed of my aged parents living it up on all of that Social Security and Medicare untaxed benefits they are receiving. Also, I really must have my daughter drop out of college and get a job of mowing the lawn at your country club so she can pay her fair share too. The world doesn't need any more doctors or teachers or skilled trades anymore. I'll tell you what Mr. Romney, you give me back my legs,and I'll get a job so you won't have to worry about anything as you sail away on your yacht.

Mack McHale

Lowell "

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Both my wife and I are veterans, she is disabled as a result of injuries sustained, physical and other, while she served.

Looking at the entire context of the remark, we did not take offense, save that Mr Romney did not do a proper job of fullly explaining himself.

We dislike broad sweeping generalizations, but in the heat of political combat, politicians say stupid things. We accept that as a fact of life.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Both my wife and I are veterans, she is disabled as a result of injuries sustained, physical and other, while she served.

Looking at the entire context of the remark, we did not take offense, save that Mr Romney did not do a proper job of fullly explaining himself.

We dislike broad sweeping generalizations, but in the heat of political combat, politicians say stupid things. We accept that as a fact of life.

A couple of interesting things about that remark.
1. it was secretly recorded by a relative of Jimmy Carter. The people that did the undercover investigation of ACORN / SEIU were prosecuted for taping.

2. He's never been afforeded the opportunity to discuss it, rather it's been just thrown about. But the truth is that roughly 47 percent of the population are recieving a check from the government and the democrats have pretty much convinced them that Romney and the republicans are going to take that money away from them. It's a broad brush attack and he made an off handed response. Those offended by it must feel guilty, because Ronney never mentioned disability pay to veterans, only in that he would ensure that a strong defense budget would include compensation for veterans and programs to support those that have served.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
1. it was secretly recorded by a relative of Jimmy Carter. The people that did the undercover investigation of ACORN / SEIU were prosecuted for taping.

Never paid that close attention to the foo-frah.

2. He's never been afforded the opportunity to discuss it, rather it's been just thrown about. But the truth is that roughly 47 percent of the population are receiving a check from the government and the democrats have pretty much convinced them that Romney and the republicans are going to take that money away from them. It's a broad brush attack and he made an off handed response. Those offended by it must feel guilty, because Romney never mentioned disability pay to veterans, only in that he would ensure that a strong defense budget would include compensation for veterans and programs to support those that have served.

My wife receives a check, I do not as I was a Reserve who got out after too short a term of service.

It does concern me that such a large part of our national budget goes to programs, which benefit individual citizens. I am familiar with the case law and federal regulatory excesses morphing "...promote the general Welfare," into the so-called social safety net.

I'd rather we had our Republic back where folks could build functioning families, friendships, neighborhood, communities and so forth, with as little state and federal government as necessary to do the things that smaller bands of people can not.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Actually, if this is related to the 47% tape (still have boy on ignore), Romney never said veterans were part of that group. The Democrats say that in the advertisements. But Romney never characterized military veterans as unwilling to improve their lot in life.

JoeR

2. He's never been afforeded the opportunity to discuss it, rather it's been just thrown about. But the truth is that roughly 47 percent of the population are recieving a check from the government and the democrats have pretty much convinced them that Romney and the republicans are going to take that money away from them. It's a broad brush attack and he made an off handed response. Those offended by it must feel guilty, because Ronney never mentioned disability pay to veterans, only in that he would ensure that a strong defense budget would include compensation for veterans and programs to support those that have served.

I actualy thought he was talking more about the percentage of people that aren't going to vote for him no matter what he says or does. That they will vote for Obama or any democrat because they know their government subsidized lifestyle will continue uninterupted. And no I don't mean folks that worked all their lives and draw social security of legitiment disability checks.