3-day search ends for ship captain off NC coast

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original source.

"ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) -- The U.S. Coast Guard halted its search Thursday for the captain of a tall ship that sank off the North Carolina coast during Hurricane Sandy after more than three days of around-the-clock effort.

The Coast Guard for 90 hours searched for 63-year-old Robin Walbridge of St. Petersburg, Fla., using ships, helicopters, and large planes before suspending its efforts at approximately 6:42 p.m., said Lt. Michael Patterson.

"Suspending a search and rescue case is one of the hardest decisions we have to make," said Capt. Doug Cameron, the chief of incident response for the Coast Guard 5th District.

The HMS Bounty was originally built for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty" starring Marlon Brando, and it was featured in several other films over the years, including one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.

Walbridge was captain of the three-masted tall ship, which sank before dawn Monday in hurricane-churned waters about 90 miles off Cape Hatteras. The crew abandoned ship in two life rafts, and the Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members. Claudene Christian, 42, was among those rescued, but she died.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Walbridge and Christian families," Cameron said.

The search persisted for days despite rough seas in hopes the healthy, expert seaman could stay alive in his survival suit in the relatively warm waters near the site of the shipwreck, the Coast Guard said. The water temperature was 79 degrees Thursday, but seas rocked waves of 4 feet and the winds were 30 mph."

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
Hey ObamaSheep nhboy - in response to your "signature" - this one is for you! :killingme

* OBAMA IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR *
.:: 4 Years of Obama Lies ::.

Obama and Biden are out of touch and harmful for women's health in America!

Obama-Biden Re-Election Campaign Slogan: "It's Not A Lie If You Repeat It Often Enough!"

.:: Obama Whisper's to Russian President Medvedev ::.
"This is my last election. After my election I (will) have more flexibility (on missle defense)."