Win2k Upgrade

Y

yornoc

Has anyone upgraded from Win 98 (2nd edition) to Win2k?
If yes,
  1. Were there any issues?
  2. Was there any loss of information (Files, etc)?
  3. Did the settings stay the same?
  4. How about drivers?... Was that a big issue? Did you have to reload?
    [/list=1]

I loaded Win2k on a computer (about 2 years ago) and it changed the settings. My modem, NIC and (something else) did not work (even after re-installing the hardware and drivers).

I just got Comcast's broadband and I'm thinking about stepping up to Win2k.

How about Win XP? I would like to get XP but I don't want to spring the cash (hint, hint) for it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I upgraded from 98SE to 2K - the onyl thing that didn;t work was my 4 year old scanner. Everything else was like buttah. But I reformatted and did a clean install.

Y

yornoc

I just answered my question. Win 98 CANNOT be "upgraded" to Win2k. It has to be a clean install and ALL settings have to be reset and programs/software re-installed. If I was "upgrading" to Win XP, however, that would be a "real" upgrade and the OS should keep the settings and software that are already there.Thanks vraiblonde :cheers:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by yornoc
I just answered my question. Win 98 CANNOT be "upgraded" to Win2k. It has to be a clean install and ALL settings have to be reset and programs/software is re-installed. If I was "upgrading" to Win XP, however, that would be a "real" upgrade and the OS should keep the settings and software that are already there.Thanks vraiblonde :cheers:

You may not like the outcome of the security issues that come along with XP. According to what I have been told, everytime you do an online transaction, XP sends your credit card information to Redland.

Did I mention that Redland was hacked and lost over 100,000 credit card numbers??

SmallTown

Football season!
Don't be so quick to believe MS when it comes to upgrading and not loosing anything.. I went from XP Home Edition to XP Professional and had to reinstall EVERYTHING.. Way to go MS..

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
It's easy...

... most of the time. But you should always backup your data to a disk and then do a clean install. Format the hard drive and start fresh.

I will say... when I upgraded my laptop, an old Thinkpad, I had to update the bios to recognize 2000. Also, all of my drivers were out of date and I had to get 2000 drivers, meaning some of my hardware didn't work.

Do your research before installing to avoid headaches.

Y

yornoc

It's a done deal. I reformatted the C drive but kept the D drive. The stuff that I had in the D drive stayed there and were not deleted (mostly wedding pictures). So far, I got everything to work except the sound card. Tonight I'm gonna un-install it and (physically) un-seat the soundcard then re-seat it and hope that plug and pray will pick it up.

K

Kizzy

plug and pray

I had an issue with plug and pray last night. I have an old HP Pavilion that I have replaced just about everything on. IT only has a 6 gb hard drive, but I put 256 mb ram in it on top of a new modem card and sound card. I took the old CD Rom out and put a CDRW in and plug and pray didn't want to detect it. I got it after awhile. Errr. Trial by error I guess that is the world of computers.

Y

yornoc

Last night I found out that my cd-r is not working now. Plug and pray picked it up but for some reason it will not write. I had this happened once before and I ended up using Nero burn (I'm currently using Adaptec. My sound card is still not working so I might just go out and buy another one. This one came with the computer (Compaq) and the drivers and OS are packaged on one disk labeled "recovery CD". Gosh I HATE that! :burning: I can't ID any of the peripherals so I don't even know what drivers to look for.

Is there a way to identify them (i.e. sound card, modem, etc) by using the SN or by doing some sort of scan?

One thing I do like about Win2k is the ability to prevent my son from loading ALL his games on my computer... MAN, I love user rights :dude: