Roses

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
When you plant roses, aren't you supposed to cut off the top of each branch/spike/whatever it's called? When I planted mine the other night, I didn't do it b/c there was nothing on the instructions that said to, but something just reminded me about that for some reason. Maybe I'm confusing it with cutting them back in the fall. :confused:

TIA.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
If you cut them back now, they won't do well this year. Leave them be unless you have some wild branch that's outta control and only cut those as much as absolutely necessary.

The gardening sites say to cut them back in the fall, but my dad has some beautiful rose bushes that he's had for many years. He said if you cut them in the fall they don't do as well. Cut them in late February, before the leaves start to bud.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Also, it takes about three years for rose bushes to establish themselves (at least in my yard :lol:) Mine looked kind of weak for a few years but seem to go crazy now. :shrug:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
let me clarify ... I'm talking about my new rose bushes. I thought I read somewhere you were supposed to prune the tip off of them when you first plant them but I couldn't remember. :confused:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by tatercake
let me clarify ... I'm talking about my new rose bushes. I thought I read somewhere you were supposed to prune the tip off of them when you first plant them but I couldn't remember. :confused:
I understood that. I never trimmed mine and as far as I know dad didn't either. I think the shock of replanting is enough to overcome, I suggest leaving them alone unless there is some really wild branch coming off.

Originally posted by Dymphna
I understood that. I never trimmed mine and as far as I know dad didn't either. I think the shock of replanting is enough to overcome, I suggest leaving them alone unless there is some really wild branch coming off.
You are correct, your father does not trim rose bushes when he plants them, he waits until the next year.