? for GSD Lovers

Otter

Nothing to see here
Our youngest was about 2 when we got one of our GSDs, never had a problem. All comes down to the dogs temperment, we also had a cockapoo that we got rid of cuz he bit our youngest. Ya never know..

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
It's a dog by dog thing. Just like people each is an individual. I would however suggest if you are planning on it to get a young one and teach your daughter how to behave around an animal. That way at least you have some comfort knowing that they will be young together and hopefully form a bond to where it wouldn't hurt her. The down side.... Puppies are a handful. Trust me I'm going through it. My babe is about 5 months now (give or take) but she's wonderful with Noah for the most part. Still a little jumpy which can be a problem since she's bigger then him. But for the most part I can not complain about how they interact.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by pixiegirl
It's a dog by dog thing. Just like people each is an individual. I would however suggest if you are planning on it to get a young one and teach your daughter how to behave around an animal. That way at least you have some comfort knowing that they will be young together and hopefully form a bond to where it wouldn't hurt her. The down side.... Puppies are a handful. Trust me I'm going through it. My babe is about 5 months now (give or take) but she's wonderful with Noah for the most part. Still a little jumpy which can be a problem since she's bigger then him. But for the most part I can not complain about how they interact.

Here's are some interesting myths, which were pulled from the site that Barb recommended....

http://www.magsr.org/myths.htm

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by kwillia
IMO, it's the 2 year olds that are the most unpredictable and wouldn't trust any dog around them that hasn't already grown up with them. :ohwell:

Can'y you wait until your kid gets a couple more years on her...:confused:

I could prob. wait, but I'm also thinking about getting one before my husband gets a remote (unaccompanied tour i.e. - no family) for a year. I'd just like to have the peace of mind that we'll be protected if it's just my daughter and I.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by ememdee19
Here's are some interesting myths, which were pulled from the site that Barb recommended....

http://www.magsr.org/myths.htm

Moo had most of her adult teeth when we got her. I wouldn't want a very young pup with a two year old. But 4-6 months is perfect I think. She is a little jumpy and bigger then Noah. But being a puppy she's also very tolerant of him. Moreso then he is of her.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by ememdee19
If you had a 2 year old, would you consider getting a GS pup?

I can't answer that question but I know Bear was great around the grandchildren when they moved back to MD. They were only 1 and 2 years old, but he was already trained...they're not. :lol:

GSD's want to be the boss and require a lot of training for their weight and size as adults. If you're not consistant with the child or dog you might have problems later on when it gets big.

I guess it depends on how committed you are. They are wonderfully loyal companions.