hydrocarbons

D

dems4me

Does anyone know anything about hydrocarbons... is it toxic -- what if you spill a bunch of it in a room and it gets on your hands and everywhere??:frown:

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by dems4me
Does anyone know anything about hydrocarbons... is it toxic -- what if you spill a bunch of it in a room and it gets on your hands and everywhere??:frown:

It might turn you into a republican. :yikes:

D

dems4me

Re: Re: hydrocarbons

Originally posted by IM4Change
It might turn you into a republican. :yikes:

:lol: that would be a result of hypnosis (only).

:lol:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by jazz lady
Do you even know what hydrocarbons ARE? They are substances composed of only hydrogen and carbon.

Here's a nice little lesson on what hydrocarbons are.

Yes, this is hydrocarbons -- but all I can find out about is its hydrogen plus carbon and that doesn't explain alot... such as is my house dangerous now to be in, etc.... what about the pets? can I smoke in the house etc?
Science and Math were never a winning subject for me... its like the farside cartoon... blah, blah, blah.. ginger... blah blah blah ginger, etc...
Thanks for your link -- I'll try to read it on the way home. :biggrin:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by dems4me
What is it exactly?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by CMC122
What is it exactly?

I don't know what it is that's why I'm trying to find out... I did have lots of liquid hydrocarbons -- I figured I'd ask because alot of people on here are science or math savy.:frown:

D

dems4me

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: hydrocarbons

:neener: That didn't hurt, for thou art have had a bottle hydrocarbons.

Maybe if you brought in your bottle to work with you one day, people would remember who you are there... :lol:

Whatever, just make sure not to spill it... :lol:

D

dems4me

Re: Re: Re: hydrocarbons

hydrocarbons :killingme just a bottle of hydrocarbons :whistle:

Just an update... everything seems to be ok... my cat knocked over my big Galelio (sp?) room thermometer before I left for work this morning... I cleaned it up best I could and then called their 1-800 number and was told its not mercury don't worry, its just hydrocarbons... I said ok... and then it didn't dawn on me to figure out what hydrocarbons were until I was ready to leave work and return home... All seems to be ok, except that I've turned into a Bush fan... go bush!!! .... not... :lol:

C

czygvtwkr

Hydrocarbons are the things that make up organic chemistry, they are any molecule with hydrogen and carbon and anything else imaginable. There are so many hydrocarbons and they are so important there is an entire branch of chemistry dedicated to them.

There are literally millions of them.

Your body is made up of hydrocarbons, great things like sugar and alcohol are hydrocarbons but then some nasty stuff like benzene, toluene, xylene are also hydrocarbons.

Your thermometer was probably some dyed mineral oils of varying specific gravities and water maybe alcohol for the clear junk.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by czygvtwkr

Your thermometer was probably some dyed mineral oils of varying specific gravities and water maybe alcohol for the clear junk.

Thanks :clap: I understand this :biggrin: soo far no harm... just everything that it spilt on is shiney.... maybe it was mineral oil... I just wished the guy on the phone had said mineral oil instead of hydrocarbons then I wouldn't have been thrown through a loop.:frown:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Galileo thermometer

This enclosed tube, with its precisely weighted balls, is based upon his discovery. Each colored ball weighs no more than 3/1000th from the other and is calibrated to ensure accuracy to 1 1/2oF. The paraffin oil inside expands and contracts in response to the temperature of the room. The correct temperature reading is simply the lowest floating ball.
Looks like the "hydrocarbons" is nothing more than paraffin oil. Here's a bit more on paraffin oils, mentioning "hydrocarbons" specifically. It doesn't appear to be harmful in the small quantities used in the thermometer - other than being difficult to clean up.

How the Galileo thermometer works

D

dems4me

Thanks Jazz!!!! :flowers: Yes, I'm still cleaning it up.... nothing seems to be really able to cut through that stuff -- maybe I should just stick the bulbs on the floor and make a floor thermometer... :lol:

thanks again!!!!

Maybe my next thread will be... help!!! I've spilt a can of stfu all over me and the floor!!! What's in it???? :lol:

Thanks again!!! :dance: :dance: