Reviving Easter flowers

Capt Brady

I'm to recieve a quantity of flowers that were used at full bloom in the church on Easter and now they are going to be trashed or saved.

They are tulips, hyacinths, and lilies.

I suppose if I get them before the wilting starts that there's a chance to bed them outside and restore some of their vigor.

I read on the net, in doing research on Easter lilies, that they can be taken outside, planted and they will bloom again in July. Has anyone had this experience ?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cariblue
I don't know about July, but if they survive you'll have some nice flowers next year.

:yeahthat: Cut the spent flowers and plant them in the ground.

...and pray the squirrels don't eat the bulbs. :lol:

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by Capt Brady
I'm to recieve a quantity of flowers that were used at full bloom in the church on Easter and now they are going to be trashed or saved.

They are tulips, hyacinths, and lilies.

I suppose if I get them before the wilting starts that there's a chance to bed them outside and restore some of their vigor.

I read on the net, in doing research on Easter lilies, that they can be taken outside, planted and they will bloom again in July. Has anyone had this experience ?

My old neighbor would plant her Easter lilie and it would do great during the summer.

You should be able to replant any of the plants you get. I'd do it soon though so they can establish a little before the real hot stuff comes. You won't get any more foliage from them but they should come back next spring.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Cap'n...

...yep. Get the lilies in the ground ASAP, afternoon shade and they will bloom again in July or August.

The tulips and hyacinths are done blooming until next spring. You can go ahead and plant them now though.

Enjoy.