Seeing RED!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
So the DQ's school had a field trip to Elm's Beach today. The permission slip says "send sunblock to school with your child", which I did -- a full, brand new bottle. It failed to mention that no one would assist the children with putting the sunblock on, so guess who comes home tonight with a burnt face, neck, back and shoulders. :burning: What semi-intelligent life form expects a 5-year-old to put sunblock on the appropriate places to keep from getting sunburned? :shrug: :mad:

Her principal is damn lucky they were gone today before I found out about it and that I'll have over night to cool down before verbally tearing off their brain buckets and ripping their arses through their necks. :grrrrrrrrrrr: :burning:

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by tatercake
So the DQ's school had a field trip to Elm's Beach today. The permission slip says "send sunblock to school with your child", which I did -- a full, brand new bottle. It failed to mention that no one would assist the children with putting the sunblock on, so guess who comes home tonight with a burnt face, neck, back and shoulders. :burning: What semi-intelligent life form expects a 5-year-old to put sunblock on the appropriate places to keep from getting sunburned? :shrug: :mad:

Her principal is damn lucky they were gone today before I found out about it and that I'll have over night to cool down before verbally tearing off their brain buckets and ripping their arses through their necks. :grrrrrrrrrrr: :burning:

Those bastages!!! :bawl: I hate it when the DQ is hurting!

K

Kain99

I am so sorry DQ is in pain... She's such a sweetie! This is called a learning process J.. Once they hit school, it's up to us to pick up the slack. Teachers don't go around applying sunblock - It's not in their contract.

Totally sucks and I completely understand your fury.... It's not Daycare.. It's school. They don't love your baby like we do. :frown:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My kid went on that trip yesterday. His info sheet said, "Wear sunblock" :shrug:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Dymphna
His info sheet said, "Wear sunblock" :shrug:

Even if it didn't, I would've applied it to my kid before leaving the house. It just makes sense. Never leave your kids well being to the public schools.

TC I hope little DQ is feeling better.

crabcake

Dymphna -- The info sheet also said "if your child burns easily, send the sunblock with them." I didn't see how applying sunblock 4 hours before leaving for the trip would have done her much good since most sunblock needs to be reapplied. :shrug:

I don't expect teachers to do everything ... but there were also chaperones there. And any semi-caring grown up who sees a 5 yr old trying to put sunblock on by herself (you'd think) should have helped her ... or at least made sure she put it where she needed to ... my kid is pretty damn smart, but any 5-yr-old going to the beach isn't gonna stop and make sure they apply sunblock all over the place before takin' off. Heck, I'm just thrilled she thought to put it on (even by herself) at all ...

I'd be the last person to expect the school to go "above and beyond" on much these days. I guess I just didn't think they'd put the responsibility on a 5-yr-old's shoulders to protect herself while on a school-sponsored field trip. Guess it's a good thing someone didn't try to kidnap her while she was there. :ohwell:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Chill

The kids have two different teachers, they easily could've had two different flyers. In fact, they must have, because mine didn't say to send sunscreen. Frankly it never occured to me that the charperones or anyone would bother to put the stuff on the kids, unless, maybe the kid reminded them. How many five year olds are going to do that? But they should've been watching for signs of sunburn.

As far as what good it would do hours after the fact, I used some waterproof, sweatproof, long lasting stuff and my little pale as a ghost sunburn magnet was fine :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Did I ever tell the story about when I was about 12 and sunblock first came out? I decided to test its protection capabilities and I thought it would be funny to write a word across my chest with the sunblock. Well, Lets put it this way, I should have used a better word. :ohwell:

Erin

Sunblock question

Do you have to use sunblock only made for children on them or can they use whatever adults have (if it's SPF 30)?

That sucks that your daughter got burnt. My friend sent her kid to Prep n play daycare and sent in Sunblock with him. They didn't put it on him because they claimed they were unable to because it was against regulations (not sure if that is State or their own business). I certainly would hope they would be able to assist a 3 year old with sunblock.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Sunblock question

Originally posted by Erin
My friend sent her kid to Prep n play daycare and sent in Sunblock with him. They didn't put it on him because they claimed they were unable to because it was against regulations (not sure if that is State or their own business). I certainly would hope they would be able to assist a 3 year old with sunblock.

That doesn't sound right to me. My daughter has been there for nearly two years and they always put sunblock on the kids.

They request (and there is a sign up at this moment) that asks that the parents apply sunblock in the morning prior to bringing the child in and then they reapply later when they have outdoor play. My chicklet needs a bath each and every day to get it all off of her and out of her hair.

JMHO

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I always used Bullfrog on my kids. It's great. And gives hours of protection. They recommend to reapply after 90 or so minutes if they're in the water, though. Best product I found.

Last edited:

crabcake

Originally posted by Dymphna
Chill
The kids have two different teachers, they easily could've had two different flyers. In fact, they must have, because mine didn't say to send sunscreen. Frankly it never occured to me that the charperones or anyone would bother to put the stuff on the kids, unless, maybe the kid reminded them. How many five year olds are going to do that? But they should've been watching for signs of sunburn. As far as what good it would do hours after the fact, I used some waterproof, sweatproof, long lasting stuff and my little pale as a ghost sunburn magnet was fine :shrug:

I don't need to "chill" ... I stated what my permission slip with information stated -- send sunblock, so I did. Considering I leave home at 6 a.m. and they weren't getting to the beach till 11 a.m. ... :shrug: If it didn't occur to teachers and chaperones to ask 5 year olds running around on a beach to put sunblock on, I'd say they're pretty damn stupid and shouldn't have taken them to a beach during the hottest hours of the day. I am not saying they should put the sunblock on all over each kid for them ... but I don't think it's unreasonable to think they would ask the kids before getting on the bus to put it on (or when they got there) and supervise them doing so to make sure they put it on the exposed places.

crabcake

Re: Sunblock question

Do you have to use sunblock only made for children on them or can they use whatever adults have (if it's SPF 30)?

We use Coppertone Sport and it works pretty well, but even 'waterproof' sunblocks need to be reapplied frequently.

Example: I was tubing with a high-spf that was supposed to be waterproof ... I applied it several times while tubing over the course of a few hours. I still got second degree sunburn on my legs to the point I couldn't walk for a couple days.

Don't believe everything you read on the bottle. :frown:

Erin

Re: Re: Sunblock question

Originally posted by RoseRed
That doesn't sound right to me. My daughter has been there for nearly two years and they always put sunblock on the kids.

They request (and there is a sign up at this moment) that asks that the parents apply sunblock in the morning prior to bringing the child in and then they reapply later when they have outdoor play. My chicklet needs a bath each and every day to get it all off of her and out of her hair.

JMHO

You are right; the situation was she sent it in and they didn't put it on him for some reason. She had a couple stories about that place and I think I combined them - opps. I'll try to get the facts straight next time.:smile:

Erin

Originally posted by cattitude
I always used Bullfrog on my kids. It's great. And gives hours of protection. They recommend to reapply after 90 or so minutes if they're in the water, though. Best product I found.
Thanks, I'll try it. The reason I was curious about s/b is because someone told me there are ingredients in certain ones that are harmful for babies/kids. I just wanted to make sure because I haven't bought any for the baby yet and I used Ombella the other day - she seemed fine with it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Sunblock question

You are right; the situation was she sent it in and they didn't put it on him for some reason. She had a couple stories about that place and I think I combined them - opps. I'll try to get the facts straight next time.:smile:
NP. How old is the baby now?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
5 months (2 days, 4 hours, and 15 minutes).:clap:
:yay:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that babies under 6 months of age are not supposed to have sunblock put on them. I may be wrong... but five months, 2 days, 4 hours, and 15 minutes isn't to far off. :cheesy:

Erin

Then what are they suppose to do?
She goes to my mother's house for daycare and Mom has to go to the school to pick up the other kids. She is currently putting a blanket over the baby, but she gets pretty mad when her head is covered.
I hope I haven't done too much damage. Poor child - first I fed her stage 2 fruits and now this!