Montessori Schooling...(sleuth)

watercolor

yeah yeah
quoted from another thread, by sleuth:
WC, what can you tell me about the Montessori? My gf is considering sending her daughter there

Craig-

One thing I MUST stress- montessori is not for every child. It is a structured program, but not for every child. But then again, there is no one school that is right for all children. Each situation is different, and it is best to work with the schools in your area to see if it appears that a particular child and school would be a good match.

Children who are easily overly stimulated, or those who seem to be very aggressive, may be some of the best examples of children who might not adapt as easily to a Montessori program.

I personally like the montessori teachings. I find it very developmentallyt stimulating for the child in many different area's/ages. It also has a self discipline that is built by the child for things. Has them to experience their "problem solving" on their own, and find their way that works for them. Not saying that the teacher will not help the child in the problem solving but more or less that they let the child figure what is best for them, by doing it over and over at their own pace.

Once of the main key's of the montessori is strong development skills in sensory and developmental behavior characteristics.

Montessori classes are organized to the range a two- or three-year age span, which allows younger students the stimulation of older children, who in turn benefit from serving as role models.

Each child learns at his/her own pace and will be ready for any given lesson in her own time. Not saying they are going to let the child work on the same lesson for hours at a time, but that they will stimulate the child while working on other projects. In a mixed-age class, children can always find other children who are working at their current level. One of the main reasons parents are in such an uproar right now over the "Every child is not the same" and having such a anger with the testing that the school's are giving. ya know what Im sayin?

This teaching was developed by Maria Montessori- an italian physician and educator who proposed a method of teaching young children that stresses and urges the development of initiative and natural abilities.

Now it is known-Children normally stay in the same class for three years. With two-thirds of the class normally returning each year, the classroom culture tends to remain quite stable. Which can be a good thing for various reasons. 1) They are in a comfortable enviornment- which in turn makes the ability to get "back into the groove of things" much more easier than the stresses of a new environment. 2) allows students to develop a strong sense of community with their classmates and teachers 3) one perk to these, that the community schools have is that they tend to specialize with smaller classes, which some of the community schools are trying to engage in.

When I said above with the developmental stratagies and such- it teachs that order of things, along with working through the problem. It also forms a sense of concentration to work on this in their way. if it is not correct, then they will be shown different ways to establish tactic's for themselves.

I will see what website's I can find for you.. to forward to her, or whatever.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I read in the news yesterday that the 15 year old great granddaughter of the founder of the Montessori schools ran away from home and was found dead. I think it was in CA.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
What would you say are the downsides?

Her daughter is just entering 4 yo preschool and she is way ahead of her peers. While they are still coloring and learning letters, she is already sounding them out and reading them. Apparently she gets bored sometimes and acts out.

I don't really know where her math abilities are at the moment, though... I do know she can count pretty well.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by RoseRed
I read in the news yesterday that the 15 year old great granddaughter of the founder of the Montessori schools ran away from home and was found dead. I think it was in CA.

Oh that is nice S. Thanks for putting that in here. :razz: :lol: But do you think it was because of the teaching? :lol: I dont think so.

And why does everyone run to cali to die. LOL I mean I am not saying she ran there, but still. I mean really!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by watercolor
Oh that is nice S. Thanks for putting that in here. :razz: :lol: But do you think it was because of the teaching? :lol: I dont think so.

And why does everyone run to cali to die. LOL I mean I am not saying she ran there, but still. I mean really!

Just a random tid bit of information that I didn't think needed its own tread yesterday, so I piggybacked on yours. :bubble:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Originally posted by sleuth14
What would you say are the downsides?

Her daughter is just entering 4 yo preschool and she is way ahead of her peers. While they are still coloring and learning letters, she is already sounding them out and reading them. Apparently she gets bored sometimes and acts out.

I don't really know where her math abilities are at the moment, though... I do know she can count pretty well.

Well one of the downside's is the fact they dont do well for every child, when the structure part would probably help benefit the child but the child is to much of a high maintenece(sp) for the teacher's of montessori to handle. Becuase its more of the "let me do it" factor, and the ones who are the high maintenance type are the ones that have to have EVERYTHING done for them (such as my boss. :rolleyes:)

That of course doesn't sound like what her daughter is doing though. I personally think that she would need some testing first, to see where she falls. Because although she is 4, they might put her in the 4-6 year old class, but tutor her more in the skills of the 5-6 year old level. But, then again, I dont know what the school system there, and what it's like.

Another thing that I dont really like, and this depends on each montessori school- that they tend to drill the children with the activities. Meaning, they have an alloted about of time to do this particular thing, then they must switch, and then so on and so fourth. Until that particular time of "play" or "learning" is over. Then its on the next. But- as I have said- it is not like that with all centers- I have worked at a few different montessori schools, and 2 were the same, one was different with their cirriculum(sp).

K

Katie

Piggybacking again on your thread WC. Sleuthy, my mom is a teacher for a montersori school. She is montessori certified and has her bachelors degree in teaching. If you have questions you can pm me and I can ask her.