Talledega!!

So, who watched this exciting race turn into a questionable, yellow-flag finish with an all-american display of fan trashyness on the final lap?

With six laps to go, #25(?) spins out, bringing on the caution. NASCAR decides, oooh - it's to dangerous to go green. So the race ends with the speed of the remaining laps more like a slow day on the DC beltway. To show their appreciation for this, the fans toss their beers onto the track as the cars pass for the final lap.

:boo: NASCAR! double :boo: fans!

I'm embarassed to be a NASCAR fan today.

Originally posted by StillCrazy
So, who watched this exciting race turn into a questionable, yellow-flag finish with an all-american display of fan trashyness on the final lap?

With six laps to go, #25(?) spins out, bringing on the caution. NASCAR decides, oooh - it's to dangerous to go green. So the race ends with the speed of the remaining laps more like a slow day on the DC beltway. To show their appreciation for this, the fans toss their beers onto the track as the cars pass for the final lap.

:boo: NASCAR! double :boo: fans!

I'm embarassed to be a NASCAR fan today.

they weren't throwing beer cans because of the yellow flag finish they were throwing them because they hate Gordon. You must not have sound on your TV to hear the boo's that shook Tallagdaega when he went by

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Re: Re: Talledega!!

Originally posted by workin hard
they weren't throwing beer cans because of the yellow flag finish they were throwing them because they hate Gordon. You must not have sound on your TV to hear the boo's that shook Tallagdaega when he went by

:yeahthat: I was laughing my azz off at it! And so what if fans throw can's at Gordon ... he won in the cheesiest of ways. :duh: I'd rather be lumped into those 'trashy' fans anyday over the greedy, money-grubbing yuppies who are changing the sport to model it after football! :ohwell:

I wish Cup would adopt the Truck Series rule of never ending under caution. When you spend the kind of dough it costs to attend a race, and travel from hundreds (and sometimes 1000's) of miles away, it's a pretty crappy thing to do to fans to end a race like that under a cheesy caution. Let's face it ... we don't sit there and watch cars go in circles for 4 hours to walk away before it ends. :shrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Talledega!!

Originally posted by tatercake
:yeahthat: I was laughing my azz off at it! And so what if fans throw can's at Gordon ... he won in the cheesiest of ways. :duh: I'd rather be lumped into those 'trashy' fans anyday over the greedy, money-grubbing yuppies who are changing the sport to model it after football! :ohwell:
Many races have ended under caution before and if the #8 had been out in front you (and apparently everyone at Talledega) would have said "Well that's just how it works." The chanting of "Bull Sh!t" and the throwing of cans was childish at best. I don't like or dislike Gordon anymore then any of the other drivers, but at least Gordon didn't spin out deliberately to stay on the lead lap like the #8 did a couple of weeks ago, now that is cheesy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Talledega!!

Originally posted by Ken King
Many races have ended under caution before and if the #8 had been out in front you (and apparently everyone at Talledega) would have said "Well that's just how it works." The chanting of "Bull Sh!t" and the throwing of cans was childish at best. I don't like or dislike Gordon anymore then any of the other drivers, but at least Gordon didn't spin out deliberately to stay on the lead lap like the #8 did a couple of weeks ago, now that is cheesy.

I will agree that the fans shouldn't have acted like that, there isn't any reason for throwing of the beer cans and everything but as TC said, fans pay a lot of money to go see these races and to see it end like that really sucks. I think NASCAR should adopt the policy of no finishes under caution. All racers have done stupid sh!t like Jr spinning out intentionally and then saying it was intentional but Gordon in his victory speech was ranting and raving about how he finally beat DEI, nobody beat DEI Gordon just had a lucky break. As did Jr on the second place finish because I heard his car sucked on the re starts so he may not have placed as well if they had re started.

crabcake

Re: Re: Re: Re: Talledega!!

Originally posted by Ken King

:nono: don't confuse me with a Dale Jr. fan. I'm a "Lowes #48 Chevy Monte Carlo driven by Jimmie Johnson" fan! :diva:

Regardless of who is in front (whether it's Jeff, Junior, Jimmie or Derrick Cope), yellow flag finishes are cheesy! There's no reason (aside from the self-made rule nascar has that they won't go Red with less than 6 laps) they couldn't stop the field where they are, clean off the track, run a yellow lap, then go green and give the fans what they paid to see -- a fight for the finish.

Nascar is about driving cars -- Yes. But the "hook" is the driver rivalries that take place ... the flaring tempers (on and off the track) ... the battles for points, track position ... it's an aggressive sport. It's not football or baseball where you have a bunch of guys standing around scratching their azzes pizzed b/c they're only making $14 million with their contract that year, or contemplating free-agency next year. These guys spend 4 straight hours and sometimes longer going 150 mph and faster ... and the fans are right there along with 'em. Granted they are sitting in the stands, but their heart is racing as fast as those cars until that checkered flag waves.

To get irritated after spending $100 or more on a ticket and likely driving a few hundred miles, is not surprising. I'm more surprised that we didn't hear about fights/riots/protesting taking place (not that I'd condone that either). I know I'd have been really pizzed if we drove all the way to Bristol (about 6 hours non-stop each way), spent $350 on tickets alone, plus all the money at souvenir trailers and food, etc., to have that race end under caution! I don't know if I'd have tossed stuff on the track, but I can't say I wouldn't either. :ohwell:

PS -- I agree that Junior's self-made spin-out was dangerous and he shouldn't have done it ... but the ever-growing 'redneck' in me thinks it was cool as shiznit that he did, pulled it off, and didn't hurt anyone else or wreck his car .... kinda like Tony getting bumped out yesterday and saving the car from a crash and kept on racing ... that's just damn good driving skill ... no matter what team you're a fan of! :yay:

Last edited:

newnickname

I believe the fans were angry there was a yellow flag finish but consider that more than half of them are Dale Jr. fans and at least 8 hours into a drunken whirlwind of good racing all day. That's just typical good ol' redneck Nascar at it's best.

crabcake

Originally posted by newnickname
I believe the fans were angry there was a yellow flag finish but consider that more than half of them are Dale Jr. fans and at least 8 hours into a drunken whirlwind of good racing all day. That's just typical good ol' redneck Nascar at it's best.

:yeahthat: and I love it! :biggrin: :clap:

Pete

Repete
:yeahthat: and I love it! :biggrin: :clap:
I think it is pretty stoopid. Just like the Richmond race where I paid $80 each for seats for boy and I, when the drunk goobers in front of us stood and felt the need to remind the drivers which direction to drive every lap only to almost fall down. I asked them to please sit so we could see (boy is only 4 foot tall you know) and they appologized and sat for 1 lap only to leap to their feet and yet again be helpful and point the proper direction for the cars to go. :rolleyes:

Of all sporting bodies NASCAR is about the most responsive. Littlering the track is not a good way to get the point across. One could argue that the ones throwing their crap on the track caused the race to finish under yellow because of the trash on the track.

Redneck isn't a good term to use for these goobers. Rednecks are polite, say sir and mam. Are courtious, thoughtful and good sports in addition to driving pickups and drinking beer. These fools are sniveling brats who pitch a fit and throw stuff like a toddler throwing the strained peas on the floor.

I always wondered what type of goober would spend the $$$$ to go to an event like that and get so plowed they don't remember the race or the subsequent 10 hours.

crabcake

Personally, I don't drink alcohol at races. It's usually too hot and I hate being drunk when it's hot outside. :barf: I stick to water/juice for the most part. When we went to Bristol, I had a few beers after the race while we were grilling bubba burgers ... But I have to agree that I wouldn't spend that kinda money to only, in turn, not remember the event.

Pete

Repete
Personally, I don't drink alcohol at races. It's usually too hot and I hate being drunk when it's hot outside. :barf: I stick to water/juice for the most part. When we went to Bristol, I had a few beers after the race while we were grilling bubba burgers ... But I have to agree that I wouldn't spend that kinda money to only, in turn, not remember the event.
Thats cool, but it is the ones that make asses out of themselves that ruin it for everyone. Pretty soon if that stuff keeps up they will move the stands back and put up huge fences, restrict fans form any close access. All because of a bunch of losers who cannot be adult enough to be spectators and fans have to become part of the event. Like I said if the goobers had not pitched a hissy and littered up the track thay could have gone back green and maybe had a different outocme. Never know now.

crabcake

Originally posted by Pete
Like I said if the goobers had not pitched a hissy and littered up the track thay could have gone back green and maybe had a different outocme. Never know now.

:nono: they didn't go to "yellow" b/c of litter on the track; the #25 car spun out, bringing out the caution with 5 laps left. Nothing was thrown on the track that I saw, read or heard of until Nascar made the call the race would end under caution and Gordon crossed the finish line.

Pete

Repete
:nono: they didn't go to "yellow" b/c of litter on the track; the #25 car spun out, bringing out the caution with 5 laps left. Nothing was thrown on the track that I saw, read or heard of until Nascar made the call the race would end under caution and Gordon crossed the finish line.
:nono: the litter came on the track after they reversed the 8 and 24 after the caution when they sorted out the field. :ohwell: Regardless is was still stupid. There have been dozens perhaps hundreds of races that ended under yellow before.

crabcake

Furthermore

I am of the opinion that Nascar's greed for the almighty "dolla" is what is frustrating fans more than a yellow-flag finish or Jeff Gordon winning a race. They've instituted a NFL-like points/play-offs plan that has a lot of drivers wondering "why should I try to win if I only need to be in the top 10 ... because after the first 26 races, I'm gonna lose all my points anyway!" And it's all b/c Kenseth had a flukey season where he won the championship yet only won one or two races ... Ryan Newman, who won 6-8 races, IMHO, should have won the championship. You race to win; not to be the same week to week.

The race purses aren't that big. There was a recent article in the "Scene" where one of the drivers (Rusty, I think) said it's a bit strange to have a golfer win a tournament and walk away with a $800,000 or better purse; yet the winner of a Cup race gets somewhere in the neighborhood of $150K. :yikes: When you compare the two sports -- Risk of life, competition, etc., while I personally enjoy playing golf, it's not near as "thrilling", "exciting", or able to "keep me on the edge of my seat" like a Cup/Busch/Craftsman race will. So I agree with the drivers in that I fail to understand the logic behind the miniscule purse. :ohwell:

A lot of what has made Nascar what it is today is b/c of the fans. Like it or not ... and I think that to expect THEM to change and be what you want them to be and do what you want them to do is no different than a foriegner who comes to this country yet expects US to conform to his/her way of life in BFE.

So the long and short of it, in my opinion, is: if you don't like fans' behavior at the race, don't go ... watch it on TV instead. If you don't like watching it on TV b/c fans are acting (IYO) obnoxious, change the channel. It's like every other "freedom" we enjoy in the states -- take it or leave it. :ohwell:

While this quote was directed at drivers biatching about speeds at certain tracks, I think it applies to a lot of other areas of the sport as well:

“Don’t come here and grumble about going too fast. Get the hell out of the racecar if you’ve got feathers on your legs or butt. Put a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants wont climb up there and eat that candy ass.”-- Dale Earnhardt

Last edited:

crabcake

:nono: the litter came on the track after they reversed the 8 and 24 after the caution when they sorted out the field. :ohwell:
So what? :shrug: I think it's just a coincidence ... Pick up a copy of the Scene ... there are a lot of folks out there who hate Jr. and a lot who hate Gordon ... if it'd been reversed, I bet someone would have thrown something out at Jr. too ... though it probably would have been a pair of chic's panties instead. :lol:

Regardless is was still stupid. There have been dozens perhaps hundreds of races that ended under yellow before.
and I guarantee you the majority of folks who paid to see that race were probably disappointed in such a cheesy ending to the event ... even if their driver WAS in the lead at the end. :ohwell: I know I sure as heck would be. I've read several drivers who've won races under caution comment about how it'd have been nice to cross the finish line going full-speed vs. that of the pace car.

Pete

Repete
Re: Furthermore

I am of the opinion that Nascar's greed for the almighty "dolla" is what is frustrating fans more than a yellow-flag finish or Jeff Gordon winning a race. They've instituted a NFL-like points/play-offs plan that has a lot of drivers wondering "why should I try to win if I only need to be in the top 10 ... because after the first 26 races, I'm gonna lose all my points anyway!" And it's all b/c Kenseth had a flukey season where he won the championship yet only won one or two races ... Ryan Newman, who won 6-8 races, IMHO, should have won the championship. You race to win; not to be the same week to week.
First of all the new points system is a reaction to the fan frustration about Kenseth only winning one or two races. Like Jeff Gordon did a few years ago. It is another example of NASCAR being in tune with its fans and trying to keep it compedive. Nascar is a segmented sport. The average fan tunes in to watch 36 individual contests and really doesn't give that much of a crap about the overall champion. Unless of course it is your favorite who wins. Be that as it is, the system had been in place many years to reward consistancy. Are you going to tell me that the team that has 6 wins, 5 top 5's and the rest are sub top 20 and DNFs is a more deserving team that a team with 1 win and 20 top 5's? It will all come out in the wash. Does NASCAR make any more cash doing it this way? No, if anything sponsors will lose interest when their car is not in the top group. Lastly, I ask you to name for me which one of those guys doesn't care if they win? Everyone of them will go out and try to win no matter what goofy points system they fall under. This method only makes sure that the end of the season is not anti climatic due to a run away winner in the points race.

The race purses aren't that big. There was a recent article in the "Scene" where one of the drivers (Rusty, I think) said it's a bit strange to have a golfer win a tournament and walk away with a $800,000 or better purse; yet the winner of a Cup race gets somewhere in the neighborhood of $150K. :yikes: When you compare the two sports -- Risk of life, competition, etc., while I personally enjoy playing golf, it's not near as "thrilling", "exciting", or able to "keep me on the edge of my seat" like a Cup/Busch/Craftsman race will. So I agree with the drivers in that I fail to understand the logic behind the miniscule purse. :ohwell:

As soon as it becomes not proffitable they will stop. If they want bigger purses I suggest Rusty buy some damn golf clubs and get to practicing. Of course he and the rest of the drivers, even the lower teir ones do not seem to be living in squalor, $300,000 motor coaches, big houses on Lake Norman, private charter jets.

A lot of what has made Nascar what it is today is b/c of the fans. Like it or not ... and I think that to expect THEM to change and be what you want them to be and do what you want them to do is no different than a foriegner who comes to this country yet expects US to conform to his/her way of life in BFE.
:nono:Don't you even lecture me about what NASCAR is. I have been a fan since before it was on TV and befor yuppie chics driving imports got into it. I grew up in the time when it was on radio during the Goddy's headache powder NASCAR radio and the entire south would stop on Sunday afternoon to listen. Petty, Pearson, Bonnet, Baker, Allison, a young DW. Were you watching the first Daytona 500 on national Tv when Donnie Allison and Cale Yourborough spin into the infeild and got into a fist fight? Have you ever seen Benny Parsons when he was in a car and not behind a microphone?

These goobers out there acting like FOOLS are NOT the people who made NASCAR. They are a bunch of undisciplined losers who look for an excuse to have a party, get sloshed and make an ass out of themselves and their friends will laugh. That is not the fan that made NASCAR, it is just those blooming idiots who have migrated to it.

So the long and short of it, in my opinion, is: if you don't like fans' behavior at the race, don't go ... watch it on TV instead. If you don't like watching it on TV b/c fans are acting (IYO) obnoxious, change the channel. It's like every other "freedom" we enjoy in the states -- take it or leave it. :ohwell:
The long and short of it is your opinion is wrong. That "If you don't like it change the channel" is BS. Se I am a long time NASCAR fan, and to have to stop going or watching because people feel free to be asses pizzes me off. Freedom is abridged by laws all the time, public drunkeness, trespassing, even littering. I say I should be able to enjoy a race without having goobers influence the outcome. I should be able to go to a race and enjoy it, just as you expect to go to the movies and enjoy that without some drunckass white trash goober popping up in the seat in front of you loudly telling you WOO PAY ATTENTION HERE GIRL THERE IS A GOOD PART COMIN" blocking the screen every 5 minutes.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Re: Re: Furthermore

First of all the new points system is a reaction to the fan frustration about Kenseth only winning one or two races. Like Jeff Gordon did a few years ago. It is another example of NASCAR being in tune with its fans and trying to keep it compedive. Nascar is a segmented sport. The average fan tunes in to watch 36 individual contests and really doesn't give that much of a crap about the overall champion. Unless of course it is your favorite who wins. Be that as it is, the system had been in place many years to reward consistancy. Are you going to tell me that the team that has 6 wins, 5 top 5's and the rest are sub top 20 and DNFs is a more deserving team that a team with 1 win and 20 top 5's? It will all come out in the wash. Does NASCAR make any more cash doing it this way? No, if anything sponsors will lose interest when their car is not in the top group. Lastly, I ask you to name for me which one of those guys doesn't care if they win? Everyone of them will go out and try to win no matter what goofy points system they fall under. This method only makes sure that the end of the season is not anti climatic due to a run away winner in the points race.

As soon as it becomes not proffitable they will stop. If they want bigger purses I suggest Rusty buy some damn golf clubs and get to practicing. Of course he and the rest of the drivers, even the lower teir ones do not seem to be living in squalor, $300,000 motor coaches, big houses on Lake Norman, private charter jets.

:nono:Don't you even lecture me about what NASCAR is. I have been a fan since before it was on TV and befor yuppie chics driving imports got into it. I grew up in the time when it was on radio during the Goddy's headache powder NASCAR radio and the entire south would stop on Sunday afternoon to listen. Petty, Pearson, Bonnet, Baker, Allison, a young DW. Were you watching the first Daytona 500 on national Tv when Donnie Allison and Cale Yourborough spin into the infeild and got into a fist fight? Have you ever seen Benny Parsons when he was in a car and not behind a microphone?

These goobers out there acting like FOOLS are NOT the people who made NASCAR. They are a bunch of undisciplined losers who look for an excuse to have a party, get sloshed and make an ass out of themselves and their friends will laugh. That is not the fan that made NASCAR, it is just those blooming idiots who have migrated to it.

The long and short of it is your opinion is wrong. That "If you don't like it change the channel" is BS. Se I am a long time NASCAR fan, and to have to stop going or watching because people feel free to be asses pizzes me off. Freedom is abridged by laws all the time, public drunkeness, trespassing, even littering. I say I should be able to enjoy a race without having goobers influence the outcome. I should be able to go to a race and enjoy it, just as you expect to go to the movies and enjoy that without some drunckass white trash goober popping up in the seat in front of you loudly telling you WOO PAY ATTENTION HERE GIRL THERE IS A GOOD PART COMIN" blocking the screen every 5 minutes.

Come to Catt. :clap: :clap:

crabcake

Re: Re: Furthermore

First of all the new points system is a reaction to the fan frustration about Kenseth only winning one or two races. This method only makes sure that the end of the season is not anti climatic due to a run away winner in the points race.
the same could have been accomplished by simply giving the winner of the race an additional couple points. how would you feel racking up a 200-pt lead because you are good and win races, but when that "shoot-out" comes, you now only have a 5-pt lead and have to start all over again ... say you your car picks that week to blow an engine ... or you are the unfortunate recipient of a chunk of concrete hitting your fender ... or a seagull slamming into your windshield? :shrug: My point is that a driver could deservedly build up a considerable points lead, yet have it erased when it's time for the shootout and be left behind due to some fluke; yet he busted his ass all season to build up a sizeable lead that's now gone ... I just don't think it's right.

Of course they aren't eating spaghettios for dinner ... thanks to endorsements. But you tell me how far, without those endorsements and sponsors, would a $150K purse go ... split between how many guys on the crew, the engine shop, the driver, the owner, cover costs, etc. If they're gonna make it a "play-offs" type sport like football, pay 'em football dollars! :shrug: Heck ... someone's gettin' fat bank off me buying tix for $400!

good for you ... so you're older than me and were listening to it when I was still wearing diapers. :neener:

I don't believe, based on what I've read, that racing in the days of Petty are the same as they are today. Things are standardized today when they weren't back then. Personally, I think you see in Kyle Petty today, what you would have seen in Richard Petty then, had he raced IAW the rules/requirements of Nascar today. Sure, I'd like to see more bangin' and bumpin' and real racing (like what you see at Bristol and like what we saw toward the end of the 'dega race) but Nascar won't allow too much of it any more. You can't cuss, you can't bump too hard, you can't do this, you can't do that, you can't pop some little punk in the mouth who just purposely shoved your car into the wall going 100+ mph.

Well, they're the ones who are paying for seats. :shrug: I don't think they just up and one day decided to become a nascar fan. Obviously their dads, uncles, grandpops, etc. were into it and they grew up with it as well and grew to enjoy it. And so what if they look for an excuse to party. You think Busch Beer is sponsoring its series for the sole purpose of dumping cash into a money pit? :shrug: No, they do it for advertising ... to get peeps to drink Busch Beer. Just like Bud sponsors Jr. and Miller Lite sponsor Rusty ... and Smirnoff sponsors Kenseth ... they do it to get folks to consume their product, and that's what nascar fans are doing.

My "opinion" is wrong? :killingme Okay ... if you say so. I don't go to theaters b/c I don't wanna deal with peeps talking on phones, interrupting, etc. But guess what, it's a choice I make. You don't have to stop going to races either ... but don't try to tell someone else who is enjoying themselves and NOT committing a crime they can't either. Standing up is not a crime ... if you wish to stay seated, get seats on the front row (they're usually cheaper anyway) so you don't have that problem. :shrug: But just like any sporting event (football, baseball, hockey, basketball, golf even) ... peeps stand up when there's action! Who the heck wants to sit still and not move around a little bit even for 4 hours? :shrug: Hell, might as well go to an opera. :duh:

newnickname

I may be wrong but from what I saw, the fans through the debris on the track when it was apparent that there was not going to be a shootout. You have to wave the flag signaling the drivers it's the last caution lap. Whaen that did not happen, and the crowd new the race was over they began hurling the cans on the track. They may be rednecks, but they know the rules, and would never hurt the chances of little E getting a restart.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Maybe NASCAR should look at miles to go versus laps to go when thinking about the red flag and the green/white/checker finale. 5 laps at Talladega is over 13 miles while at Dover it's only 5 miles and some tracks a lot less.