A Question Of Balance

arabianpony

I have a green mare, I don't think she had been more than sat on when I got her. I did some work with her last summer, but very little this winter. I am not very experience and have not taken many lessons. This spring I have been working most every day that is nice, even if it is just for alittle while. Usually using a western saddle, but last night I put an english on her. She tripped constantly! I checked her feet to see if she picked up a rock, but didn't find any. One trip she nearly went to her knees! Could it be that the balance is so different in the english saddle, for her or me? Is something wrong with her? Should I have a vet out to look at her? I have been doing just alittle lope (she rushes still), could she just be out of shape? Even at a walk, she seemed to tender foot it, but couldn't really tell which front foot.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by arabianpony
I have a green mare.

BUMP! for appy...

By the way, if your mare is green, she's probably not feeling too good. Either that or she's flat-out embarrassed by the bad dye job. Or perhaps she thinks St. Patrick's Day is this month. If that's the case, you need to buy her a calendar for her stable. :biggrin:

Seriously though... hope you find her some help. I know nuttin' 'bout horsies...

Cowgirl

Does the english saddle fit her properly? How old is she? Also, what gait is she in when she trips? Is it at all gaits or just the lope? When's the last time a farrier has been out? Does she trip when you are lunging her, or just riding her? What kind of footing is she in? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it out!! :biggrin:

Last edited:

arabianpony

Originally posted by Cowgirl
Does the english saddle fit her properly? How old is she? Also, what gait is she in when she trips? Is it at all gaits or just the lope? When's the last time a farrier has been out? Does she trip when you are lunging her, or just riding her? What kind of footing is she in? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure it out!! :biggrin:

I think the english saddle fits better than the western, didn't look like any rubs when I took it off. She is an 8yo, looks nice and muscled. In a walk, even on the grass, I can feel her sort of give every now and again, like she has stepped on something. The big trip was at a trot. Doesn't seem to do it at a lope, much. Farrier comes out every 5-6 weeks, last time was about 2 weeks ago, her feel look good, but not knowlageable enought to know. That is the big thing, free in the field, she is always galloping about, never trips. Don't have a ring, so just ride around in the pasture, no rocks, but uneven but sort of rolling, not pocked.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by appyday
Several things..if she is ouchy at the walk I would put shoes on her. If her balance is off it could be because she is green as you stated. For that I just work them (no loping) and just walk and long trot them with you sitting centered and not leaning on their shoulder etc. long trot her around and around the pen until she gets her balance (about 30 days) then you can start throwing her off by leaning on her some. I am wondering if you are doing this as you do not feel comfortable in the english saddle and tend to move around on her causing her to catch herself.

If her feet have just been done she should not have too much toe to be tripping over. again if ouchy at the walk put shoes on her. An ouchy horse will trip too as they pull up when they are hurt...if you want give me a call and I will come watch you one day and see if I can see what is going on.....

Hey appy... I watched Sea Bisciut yesterday...
thought of you...

and now I want a horse, but I know I don't have the time to take care of it. :frown: even if I did have the room...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Awwwwwwwwwwww that is so sweet..you had happy thoughts right? I never saw the movie.guess I should

It's an excellent movie...and of course they were happy thoughts. You can rent it by now. It's out in the stores.

After watching the movie, I decided I'm taking my gf horseback riding for her first time this weekend.

My favorite line in the movie reminded me of you... because of how you like to nurse animals back to health...

First, it was said of one of the horses about to be put down because he pulled up lame: "You don't throw a whole life away just because it's banged up a little."

Later it was said about a jockey... but I don't want to ruin it for you... :smile:

arabianpony

Several things..if she is ouchy at the walk I would put shoes on her. If her balance is off it could be because she is green as you stated. For that I just work them (no loping) and just walk and long trot them with you sitting centered and not leaning on their shoulder etc. long trot her around and around the pen until she gets her balance (about 30 days) then you can start throwing her off by leaning on her some. I am wondering if you are doing this as you do not feel comfortable in the english saddle and tend to move around on her causing her to catch herself.

If her feet have just been done she should not have too much toe to be tripping over. again if ouchy at the walk put shoes on her. An ouchy horse will trip too as they pull up when they are hurt...if you want give me a call and I will come watch you one day and see if I can see what is going on.....
Didn't get a chance to ride and thougt I would let her rest last night anyway. I am going back to the western tonight see if we do any better. I ended up putting a deposit down on that gelding off dreamhorse.com. He is lovely, Can't wait to take lessons on a trained horse. I am still dying to come see your babies. Just seems like there is always too much going on, then when I get 2 minutes free, I go ride. My kids are with their dad this weekend, and they are paving the driveway, and sunday is rain so maybe I will get out abit

arabianpony

Well, it must have been my lousy balance. I switched back to a western saddle and she is doing great. I still think she is on the forehand, but She hasn't been excercised much this winter and she is green, so I am hoping she will balance more as she is ridden. I really need lessons:frown:

OH! and I love my new horse! He is so sweet, especially after having mares for so long. He is a huge babydoll.

arabianpony

I think I can visualize what you are describing. Thank you! That is exactly the type of thing I need. I have no clue. I know my mare is a cow sometimes, but I like her spunk and smarts. Man is she a brute to this new gelding though. The little arabian is the hussy and the paint wants to geld him again.

I never went up to see the trainer in LaPlata. I think I am going to wander over to Freedom Reign one evening, and watch some of thier lessons. I don't know if she does lessons away.