• May be an option but I have heard too many rumors/stories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Private Ed. is too narrow, limits expression& freedoms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some are great, others OK...certainly better than Public

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Public schools are fine here,...no need for private

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • are the best option, cost is not an issue, my kids are.

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

Hessian

Have a look,
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38322

I have to admire their stand...and that is coming from someone who was raised by two public school teachers. I will not have my daughter going through public school...even if Calvert is rated near the top of the pack...
Its class size,
Morals,
Textbooks,
Teacher training,
Peers,
Selective admissions,
Rejection of state Standardized test preparation,
and majorly:worship of our Creator & Redeemer is encouraged, not something to be ashamed of.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I don't have any kids, but I went to public school and I turned out fine. My advice is that if you're going to send your kids to private school, send them to private school all the way through. The kids that came to my public highschool from private schools went through the biggest culture shock. The girls went boy crazy and vice versa. Not all of them, but most...the worst was the girls.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by mainman
Could you make it any easier?...:roflmao:
I did! I'm not psychotic, I respect my elders and I don't have a criminal record. What else can you ask for? :winmk:

dustin

UAIOE
This movement to put their kids into private schools is all well and good...if the parents can afford it...

I know back in my hometown the public school was lacking in funds, but the teachers were outstanding, and considering that almost all of them went to the local Baptist Church, religion in the public schools there was never an issue. The private school was just the same with religion and teachers. Really the only difference between the two was that the private school had better extra curricular activites and sports...that's about it.

It all depends on your environment...

Hessian

Another issue struck me...whenever a county wants to boost property taxes, they threaten the public schools with a host of cuts unless the tax hike is approved (cut sports, afterschool activities, plays, etc)...if they really want to play dirty they threaten to cut positions & salaries.

If Unions want to play dirty in the public schools, they order their teachers to not offer extra help, stop volunteering, no coaching and no take-home work....thus the public school is again the worse for it.

These factors do NOT appear in private schools. We are paid less,
we have high percentages of certified teachers, and we are asked to do all sorts of extra duties...which may NOT be in our contracts. Hopefully, the kids pick up on the idea that they are NOT pawns to be used for financial games, that sacrifice is a good thing, and volunteerism is an expectation in life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Hessian
Another issue struck me...
That's a good point, Hessian. I never really thought about it but, now that you mention it, that's exactly what they do. When the state/county/whatever wants to raise taxes for some reason, they hold our kids hostage.

alex

In this area I haven't found the public better than private and vice versa. My son started out in public school by 3rd grade I realized he needed a more structured environment to learn in and moved him to private school. He was there until I could no longer afford to send him due to lack of work. He is now in the public schools again and doing very well.

I was not very impressed with any of the private schools for high schoolers either. I do agree that teachers try and succeed in holding us hostage for more money but we and the people we elect allow this to happen. Case in point - the 10% salary hike over 2 years for St. Mary's Teachers. No one denies that these people are working hard and compared to other counties are underpaid. However, when there are not enough teachers, classrooms, supplies, etc. shouldn't that money go there first?

As for the Baptists, well that is their choice. Since all of the Baptists I have meet seem to think that they are better than you unless you are another Baptist I won't miss them if they want to leave the public schools. Just don't look to use my tax dollars to support such a move.