Can a religion be "evil?"

K

Kain99

To get to the heart of Islam, start with its founder: Muhammad. Like Christianity, Islam's essence is tied to the nature of a central figure who gives the religion its distinctive soul. Muhammad's professional life as a religious leader can be divided into two, roughly equal periods. In the first, he preached tolerance while he struggled for acceptance in Mecca. But in the second period, after he rises to power in Medina, he became increasingly harsh, mean-spirited and warlike.
The article was informative but I am uncomfortable with it's purpose. I believe we should take all truth with a grain of salt.

Christians beware.... I don't think it would take a whole lot, to paint us in a like fashion. :frown:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Kain99
Christians beware.... I don't think it would take a whole lot, to paint us in a like fashion.
Yeah, because you see so many Christians running around chopping people's heads off in the name of God. :duh:

F

Filth08xXx

I think I'm done with the Christian thing- I go to a Catholic School and the stuff they tell us, I feel I'm doomed to hell either way, Christian or not. I get the feeling that I'm guilty because Christ did exist, die, etc. but I'm not all into the worship thing. My question is "Am I guilty for knowing Jesus Christ and not worshipping him?" Like...they can't even tell us where God came from, and they don't answer questions- they tell us to look it up in the damn catachism book and it p!sses me off. I've kinda always been interested in Wicca, so I'm giving that a try- I really like it. My family never goes to church anyways, and we don't celebrate Holy Thursday or Good Friday anyways.. my mom, dad and brother & I are not baptized, and do not feel obliged to any certain religion.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Filth08xXx
I think I'm done with the Christian thing- I go to a Catholic School and the stuff they tell us, I feel I'm doomed to hell either way, Christian or not. I get the feeling that I'm guilty because Christ did exist, die, etc. but I'm not all into the worship thing. My question is "Am I guilty for knowing Jesus Christ and not worshipping him?" Like...they can't even tell us where God came from, and they don't answer questions- they tell us to look it up in the damn catachism book and it p!sses me off. I've kinda always been interested in Wicca, so I'm giving that a try- I really like it. My family never goes to church anyways, and we don't celebrate Holy Thursday or Good Friday anyways.. my mom, dad and brother & I are not baptized, and do not feel obliged to any certain religion.

Another one lost due to Catholicism. :bawl: I swear, the most bitter, religion hating folk were fed Catholic dogma. :shrug:

F

Filth08xXx

Originally posted by Christy
Another one lost due to Catholicism. :bawl: I swear, the most bitter, religion hating folk were fed Catholic dogma. :shrug:

:bawl: I feel dumb..what did that mean? LOL I'm a little slow..:blushing:

Christy

b*tch rocket
The article was informative but I am uncomfortable with it's purpose. I believe we should take all truth with a grain of salt.

Christians beware.... I don't think it would take a whole lot, to paint us in a like fashion. :frown:

How so? :confused:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Yeah, because you see so many Christians running around chopping people's heads off in the name of God. :duh:
We have definitely done our share of that in the past... If ya wanna get really-super real, we still do it today. Just ask the IRA. :wink:

K

Kain99

With all of my heart, I 100% agree with this statement. :frown:

Christy

b*tch rocket
:bawl: I feel dumb..what did that mean? LOL I'm a little slow..:blushing:

I meant that you dislike the whole "Christian thing" due to the Catholic dogma you are being fed. My husband was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and now loathes any form of Christian religion, he's coming around, and more open minded as he's aged, but Catholicism did him much damage, as it did to many people I know. :shrug: I on the other hand was raised Methodist, where God and Christ were portrayed in a much more positive light. I can't really say that I'm Methodist now, they've gone a little bit off the deep end, but I'd say I'm just "Christian".

Christy

b*tch rocket
We have definitely done our share of that in the past...

Oh for crap sake Kain, we USED to live in caves and wipe our azzes with our hands. :duh: We're talking here and now.

F

Filth08xXx

I meant that you dislike the whole "Christian thing" due to the Catholic dogma you are being fed. My husband was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools and now loathes any form of Christian religion, he's coming around, and more open minded as he's aged, but Catholicism did him much damage, as it did to many people I know. :shrug: I on the other hand was raised Methodist, where God and Christ were portrayed in a much more positive light. I can't really say that I'm Methodist now, they've gone a little bit off the deep end, but I'd say I'm just "Christian".

ahhh ok :blushing: I see where you're going...yeah I have Catholic friends and lots of them don't even want to be Confirmed next week...they're doing it for the parents, which I find very sad...yeah these Christian reigions are going off the deep end...I like Wicca becuase you don't have "recruits" telling you about the religion such as Jehova's witnesses and sometimes Christians...I view that as solicitation. Wicca is something that you discover on your own

Christy

b*tch rocket
ahhh ok :blushing: I see where you're going...yeah I have Catholic friends and lots of them don't even want to be Confirmed next week...they're doing it for the parents, which I find very sad...yeah these Christian reigions are going off the deep end...I like Wicca becuase you don't have "recruits" telling you about the religion such as Jehova's witnesses and sometimes Christians...I view that as solicitation. Wicca is something that you discover on your own

You need to do your research on "Christians" Catholics AND Jehova's Witness are BOTH considered "Christian" right or wrong, they are. The term Christian is very broad. Good luck with your Wicca, although, I would encourage you to keep your mind open, and I know this sounds hokey, but if you keep your mind open, God comes to you, and leads you down the right path.

I don't normally "push" my "religion" or belief's on people, but it's a shame to see you closing your mind at such a young age.

K

Kain99

Oh for crap sake Kain, we USED to live in caves and wipe our azzes with our hands. :duh: We're talking here and now.
Obviously, you failed to read the article. :wink:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Excuse me, Ha Choo Bullshiat! :wink:

Uh, yes it is more of a political group rather than a religious group. They're both "Christian" and the fight isn't over religion, it's over wanting to ruled by the Britts or not ruled by the Britts. :shrug: It has nothing to do with religion.

K

Kain99

Educational Lesson

The model known as Irish terrorism (IRA) is also a model for nationalistic terrorism, but here, we will only consider the religious elements of it, and patterns that have emerged between the Catholics (GREENS) and Protestants (ORANGE).

Historically, most Catholics were republicans living in the South, and Protestants were unionists (also landlords and industrialists) living in the North. Each side had been arguing and arming themselves since the 19th century. The first major conflict erupted on Easter in 1916 when the unionists called in British help, and the town of Dublin was demolished by British artillery.

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) was formed that day, and led by Michael Collins, a student of Russian anarchism and terrorism. Murder and mayhem followed until a brief peace came after creation of independent Southern Ireland (the Republic of Ireland) in 1921. The struggle then shifted to Northern Ireland, where the British tightened their hold by creating the Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC), a sort of semi-military police force, which became the favorite target of the Provisional IRA (a Northern Ireland spin-off group affiliated with the Sinn Fein party -- another spin-off group being the Irish Continuity Army, dedicated to international terrorism, not just within Ireland). The Provisional IRA committed sporadic acts of terrorism until 1994 when peace talks began, and a cease-fire was agreed to. During the cease-fire (which some see as surrender), another spin-off group emerged - the Real IRA, which is the group officially recognized as the present foreign terrorist organization although there are still active elements of the Continuity IRA.

There are many theories of the Irish conflict, but any understanding must admit that religion, politics, and economics are inseparably mixed. The three main denominations in Ireland are Catholic, Church of England, and Presbyterian - all religions of providence that emphasize the need for God's approval of secular affairs. Competition for political influence runs high, and people vote along religious lines.

Economic discrimination (for jobs) also tends to revolve around religion. Everyone wants to control the state for reasons of deeply felt religious and economic deprivations, and this desire permeates all aspects of everyday life. Religion may not be the root cause of Irish conflict, but it is definitely the fuel that flames the passions. Most Irish terrorism is in the name of retaliation or retribution, and this kind of retaliation is driven by spiritual conceptions of vengeance. The GREENS believe they are protecting their homeland from human rights abuses at the hands of an illegitimate British government which is unaccountable under any rule of law (Bloody Sunday being a reminder of this). The ORANGE believe they are being betrayed by a peace-seeking British government and must retaliate for more lethal, indiscriminate, and evil terrorism (the Omagh bombing being a reminder of this).

Linkie