Ready for Mulies in NM!

limblips

PREMO Member
Just picked up a Weatherby Vanguard stainless in .243 for $325.00 with a 6.5-20x50 Barska scope and a box (-3) of 100 grain Winchesters. Not the worlds best scope but OK. Couldn't pass on it. Needed a new rifle for my November NM mulie hunt. Off to the range next week!

A .243 was my first rifle. I killed a few deer in PA with it before I bought something bigger. It will do the job but it wouldn't be my first choice if I owned something that fired a bigger bullet. If you have the cash, Nikon scopes are every bit as good as the high dollar ones. Good luck.

Vince

I would have went for either 30.06 or .308 Nikon or a Vortex scope if you can afford it.

Vince

I would have went for either 30.06 or .308 Nikon or a Vortex scope if you can afford it. And if you really want to spend, Leupold.

limblips

PREMO Member
I would have went for either 30.06 or .308 Nikon or a Vortex scope if you can afford it. And if you really want to spend, Leupold.

Shot placement is the key. I have a .308 Savage Mod 99 but it went thru a fire and I'll never dare shoot it again. No visible damage but the house was a total loss, the gun (along with a 303 Savage) was in the one corner of the house not touched but exposed to very high temps. The .243 was bought used (3 shots thru it) and at the price..... I'll be using 100 gr Winchester rounds. Not looking for 300 yard shots, I'll stay inside of 150. If nothing else, it'll make a great varmint rifle! Coyotes be warned!

b23hqb

PREMO Member

I have a Nikon M-308 for my FNAR .308, and the scope really rocks. Sure makes the rifle shoot better than I can.