fly spray

spinner

Does anybody have an opinion on which is the best brand of fly spray for horses? Our poor little donkey is just getting eaten up on her front legs even though I spray her everyday. I was using repel with citronella. Doesn't seem to last too long. Tonight I put ointment and bandages and vet wrap on her so if you see a donkey on Jones Wharf Rd with bright red front legs thats mine. I have to go the feed store tomorrow but there are so many different kinds of spray I'd like to find one that works. The horses get flies but not like this donkey does.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
They tell me there is now a top spot to repel flies, and there is also the pink stuff called swat?
Poor little guy. Mine are stomping their feet into oblivion too...
~happy~

arabianpony

I don't remember haveing to deal with the flies like this before! Night before last they were hitting me like beebee's! My skin came up in goose bumps and I was spraying Myself with off every 2 minutes.

I use the concentrated Repel on the horses, I mix it with 1/4 white vinigear too plus I add alittle shampoo (little bit!) and it seems to make it stick better. I also add a drop or 2 of citronilla and pennyroyal oils.

Use similar on me but with 'OFF' and don't add but a drip of vinigear and no shampoo. I add other oils to mine too to try to make it smell alittle less offensive.

arabianpony

Originally posted by Kain99
My SIL uses "Skin So Soft" on her Horses and swears by it.

Saving Horses from Flies

The active ingredient in that is citronilla (SP?). I use the concentrated oil of citronilla. My cousin in England gets it as a rinse, or water, but can't find it here. Hoping she will be over this fall and bring me some.

spinner

Well Binky's legs, ears, and nose are slathered in Swat. I'm probably going to have to buy a case this summer...I bought the horses some of the topical fly stuff, goes on the hocks and down the back, you do it every two weeks. We will see how it works.