Morris for Sheriff - Write-In Campaign

wildcat

Here is why I think it is a bad idea for Dan Morris to do a write-in campaign. First, Mr. Morris joined a party (Democrats) and asked to be selected through the primary process to run as the Democrats' choice for Sheriff in the General Election. He did not get selected, all be it by a small margin. By trying a write-in campaign, he is undermining his party's process. Personally, I am a Republican, but I see this issue clearly from the other side of the fence. If Mr. Morris runs, the most likely situation is that he will pull more votes away from Zylak so that Zylak will lose to Bailey. In other words, he will be contributing to Zylak's defeat (the person selected to run for his party).

Second, the amount of voters that turn-out for the General Election in non-Presidential elections is about the same turn-out as the primaries. Mr. Morris is fighting for the same pie. His best hope is to get the votes from Haynie and Saks but he shouldn't expect any votes from the people who voted for Bailey and Zylak. The fact that Haynie and Saks were Republicans does not help the matter. Finally, people will not want to write-in a name when there are two acceptable candidates already on the ballet.

Can Dan Morris win? Maybe. But, I don't think so.

Should he do a write-in campaign? I don't think so.

I feel it is in Mr. Morris' best interest to take a pass this election and plan for another run next time.

wildcat

FYI

In the St. Mary's Today's Sept. 17, 2002 edition, it was reported that Dan Morris will not be doing a write-in campaign for the St. Mary's County Sheriff position.

I think that was a good move on Dan Morris' part.