Would You Stop Barking!

MDindef

Got a complaint from my neighbor. I have a Black Lab puppy (about 6 months old) that barks for long periods of time without rest. Not all the time, but apparently when we're away from the house. Anyone have any suggestions? I want to be a good neighbor.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
My only suggestion would be to either get it a companion, or maybe leave the radio or tv on so it thinks someone is there. It might work. Good luck.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I thought maybe the puppy was lonely at first. You might have to bring him/her inside until it matures a bit. It's just a baby and babies cry or bark in this case.

Is your neighbor a complainer or home all day? I listened to my ex-neighbors dog bark all day for 10 years until they moved away and I never complained. It would sometimes drive me crazy at night when the window was open, but the guy was an AH and probably would have another reason to beat the dog.

Anyway I used to go outside and lean over the fence and pet the dog and bring him treats and after a while he would listen to me if I yelled out the window to "quiet down". When the dog would jump the fence and get loose he'd show up on my doorstep and just lay there quietly all day, then I'd put him back in the afternoon so he wouldn't get in trouble. :lol:

Sorry this isn't much help, you may just have to wait it out unless you bring the dog inside. Or you could try one of those barking deterrent devices.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Sharon
Anyway I used to go outside and lean over the fence and pet the dog and bring him treats and after a while he would listen to me if I yelled out the window to "quiet down". When the dog would jump the fence and get loose he'd show up on my doorstep and just lay there quietly all day, then I'd put him back in the afternoon so he wouldn't get in trouble. :lol:

:angel: A saint you are.:angel:

MDindef

Sharon, in truth, I think she's a bit of a complainer. Even still, I have to put forth the effort. I did find out that on one of those days, the puppy got tangled, and that's why she was barking.

blueeyes76

My neighbor has two dogs...one barks all night...the other howls all night. I am a dog lover and it irritates the heck out of me. Where do you keep them? A privacy fence may help, it will cut down on the noise a bit and prevent the puppy from seeing people/dogs that may make her bark.

SeaRide

neighbor lab dog

We have an adorable ‘neighbor’ black lab, which has grow old with us over the years. She’s old now but she can still walk with arthritis in her hips. She would not bark much nor jump on neither anyone nor wanting to come indoor at all. She would “patrol” on our land, mark the territory with her crap (trained her not to crap in our yard but in the wood). We learn to love her and let her roam on her homeland and our land. We would take care of her when her owners are away from home. She would let us know if there were rattlesnakes around because she’s the one who got bit.
She would keep stray cats, raccoons, opossums, and rodents from knocking over our trashcans. I remember one day when I saw that trashcans being knocked over with a mess everywhere then I knew something wrong with our neighbor dog. So I went over to check on the dog and she was sick enough that she couldn’t move around much. Once she heals, then everything is back to normal.
So whenever I see her walking right by me, I know everything is fine. When she was a puppy, the owners gave us permission to help discipline their puppy not to crap on our deck, not to bark when we are eating crabs and so forth. Hopefully, your puppy will have chances to meet your neighbors without ‘stepping on the wrong foot’. If your neighbor happens to be trustful folks, would you mind them helping with your puppy-barking situation while you are away from home?
My brother had to take his 6 month puppy to obedience school for dogs twice! It was hard on my brother juggling his job, family and the training for the puppy but it's worth it in the long run.

Good luck

Last edited:

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
does the puppy have toys to play with during the day?
...like chew toys...
that could keep her busy and provide a distraction for her...

just an idea.