More Fun With Big Numbers at the DNC

B

Bruzilla

Sept 12, 2002

Senate Democrats Pass Drought Relief Bill

Over the objections of the Bush administration, the Democratic-led Senate passed a $6 billion emergency drought relief bill on Monday that would provide desperately needed aid to drought-stricken farmers.

Despite a harsh, dry summer that left many farmers in dire need of assistance, President Bush chose not to ask Congress to provide emergency drought relief to farmers. Senate Democrats passed a bill that would give $6 billion to farmers in states hit hardest by the drought, including South Dakota, Minnesota, Colorado, Arkansas, Iowa, and Missouri.

However, the Republican-led House of Representatives has yet to pass an emergency drought relief bill, and could pass a bill that provide only a fraction of the funds offered in the Senate bill.

The Senate-passed bill would offer relief to farmers and ranchers who have lost 35 percent of their crops or pastures as a result of the drought. [Washington Post; 9/11/02, New York Times; 9/11/02]

Six Billion Dollars for six states??? How many farmers are in these states? And I thought most of the farms in these areas were the big corporate operations. Since when do the Dems feel the need to help out corporations? Ooops, wait a minute. What state is at the top of the list? South Dakota? Isn't that where Daschle is from? Ahhhhh... now I see.

So where's the relief for the farmers in states like MD? I see acres of ruined corn on small farms, but I see no relief for the fine folks of MD.