Kitten question

D

dems4me

I have a coworker that has a 10 week old kitten that has diarreah -- is it safe for a kitten at that age to take kaopectate (sp?) or something similar that a human would use? So far I've found out this kitten does not have fleas or worms and eats solid dry food. Any suggestions I can forward :shrug::confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by dems4me
I have a coworker that has a 10 week old kitten that has diarreah -- is it safe for a kitten at that age to take kaopectate (sp?) or something similar that a human would use? So far I've found out this kitten does not have fleas or worms and eats solid dry food. Any suggestions I can forward :shrug::confused:

No Kaopectate or Pepto. There are new ingredients which aren't good for dogs or cats. Why can't she call a vet?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Kain99
It's safe to give Rabbits Immodium..... Call the Vet.

Well coworker is short on funds and will not accept a loan to take kitten to vet. She is afraid if she calls the vet will say bring it in and then she's stuck with a huge vet bill on just a visit for kaopectate or something like that :shrug: Just wondering if any of y'all knew off hand. I can research this for her later, just really busy today - also I think its a good thing to know for my own cats. :smile: thanks!

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Well coworker is short on funds and will not accept a loan to take kitten to vet. She is afraid if she calls the vet will say bring it in and then she's stuck with a huge vet bill on just a visit for kaopectate or something like that :shrug: Just wondering if any of y'all knew off hand. I can research this for her later, just really busy today - also I think its a good thing to know for my own cats. :smile: thanks!

If she can't afford the expenses of routine veterinary care and emergencies, she shouldn't have a pet.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
If she's not been to the vet, how can you be sure the kitten doesn't have worms? Sometimes animals can have them but aren't shedding them in their stools.

Diarrhea is also a sign of the some of the feline diseases...aids, leukemia, etc.

Does she give the kitten milk? This can cause diarrhea.

She can feed the kiiten boiled chicken, white rice, cottage cheese to see if that helps.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by crabcake
If she can't afford the expenses of routine veterinary care and emergencies, she shouldn't have a pet.
:yeahthat: My cousin had a dog for all of two days and ended up giving it back because :gasp: he pooped on the floor too much. Dur, you have to potty train puppies :rolleyes:. Meanwhile he allegedly has a child on the way, wonder how long it lasts before he wants to send it back too :lol:

D

dems4me

She is just short funded right now due to recent car repairs/transmission work and she didn't want to see it suffer in the meantime until next payday, that is why I was trying to help. :shrug:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cattitude
If she's not been to the vet, how can you be sure the kitten doesn't have worms? Sometimes animals can have them but aren't shedding them in their stools.

Diarrhea is also a sign of the some of the feline diseases...aids, leukemia, etc.

Does she give the kitten milk? This can cause diarrhea.

She can feed the kiiten boiled chicken, white rice, cottage cheese to see if that helps.

Well I thought fleas is what gave cats or kittens worms... I'm probably incorrect, so I asked if she has seens any fleas on the baby, or if she see's any worms in the yellow runny stool. Last I heard she took it in to get all of its shots 2 weeks ago. The problem was just starting then so she didn't bring it up. Thank you all for your very great suggestions!! :flowers:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'

:yeahthat:

I wonder how much she's spending on other stuff that isn't needed.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Nickel
:yeahthat: My cousin had a dog for all of two days and ended up giving it back because :gasp: he pooped on the floor too much. Dur, you have to potty train puppies :rolleyes:. Meanwhile he allegedly has a child on the way, wonder how long it lasts before he wants to send it back too :lol:

I'm not at all big on folks that take a pet and then give it away after some time. To me that's part of a responsibility when you adopt it. Several years ago I had a litter of kittens, gaven one to my friend and her daughter... only to have it be returned because she didn't realize cat's clawed things when they are not trained not to. I told her don't declaw the cat or put it in a shelter, I'll take it back. Although it was 9 months later, I still have that cat today.:smile:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by sleuth
:yeahthat:

I wonder how much she's spending on other stuff that isn't needed.

:shrug: don't you think it would be rude if I insisted she hand over her checkbook for me to be the judge of that? :shrug: I was just trying to help.:wink:

:jk: :lol:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Well I thought fleas is what gave cats or kittens worms... I'm probably incorrect, so I asked if she has seens any fleas on the baby, or if she see's any worms in the yellow runny stool. Last I heard she took it in to get all of its shots 2 weeks ago. The problem was just starting then so she didn't bring it up. Thank you all for your very great suggestions!! :flowers:

Tape worms/fleas. A small kitten with a bad case of diarrhea can die. You don't always seen parasite with the naked eye. Yellow diarrhea is generally an indication of too much milk. She's probably not feeding the kitten correctly.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
:shrug: don't you think it would be rude if I insisted she hand over her checkbook for me to be the judge of that? :shrug: I was just trying to help.:wink:

yeah... would be...
I was just making a point.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cattitude
Tape worms/fleas. A small kitten with a bad case of diarrhea can die. You don't always seen parasite with the naked eye. Yellow diarrhea is generally an indication of too much milk. She's probably not feeding the kitten correctly.

She swears out the kitten is not getting milk, but she does have kids so... who knows... thanks:biggrin:

crabcake

If it's truly a temporary financial dilemma, just pay for the vet check up for her and give her a gift certificate ... then she'll have no excuse or way of refusing it. If she does, she shouldn't have the cat.

D

dems4me

If it's truly a temporary financial dilemma, just pay for the vet check up for her and give her a gift certificate ... then she'll have no excuse or way of refusing it. If she does, she shouldn't have the cat.

Thanks - great idea!!! So lets see, I pay for the vet visit and I give her a gift certificate, then flowers, ballons and candy??

:lol:

What would the gift certificate be for?

crabcake

What would the gift certificate be for?

The gift certificate is for the prepaid vet visit (from the vet office).

Don't send candy and flowers unless you are looking to bed the cat's owner.

D

dems4me

The gift certificate is for the prepaid vet visit (from the vet office).

Don't send candy and flowers unless you are looking to bed the cat's owner.

candy and flowers were a joke...:lol:

I wasn't aware you can purchsae gift certificate for vet visits. I'll look into this tonight. thanks!!:biggrin: