How much is to much? (County sports)

MDindef

Here's the situation right now. 3 kids, 2 in county football. When basketball season comes up, there'll be that to deal with, then there's baseball/softball season. It goes all year long!

In an effort to enrich my kids' lives, I let them play sports. But where's the line? At what point do I say "no more!"? I'm not sure what they're learning from all this. "My team, my sports" is more important than my family time? All I know is that my family doesn't have time for much anymore.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MDindef
In an effort to enrich my kids' lives, I let them play sports. But where's the line? At what point do I say "no more!"? I'm not sure what they're learning from all this. "My team, my sports" is more important than my family time? All I know is that my family doesn't have time for much anymore.

Once it is no longer fun for the parent, it won't be long until it is no fun for the kid. Juggling their wants with what you are able to do for them is one of the many pleasures of parenthood. Maybe letting them know that because they are playing sports all year long you can't take them to other activities as often as you would like to.

MDindef

Thanks Ken, and others. (BTW, I'm glad a hadn't checked this thread since yesterday and didn't see all those deleted posts!) It's a struggle, since I want my kids to have what I didn't have as a child, but I'm going to have to find a line.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Cariblue,

I think you've given some great advice regarding the problem. You definitely have to draw the line somewhere, or everyone will be miserable with all the running around! It's so important to have family time, especially as the kids get older. Granted, it's hard to get everyone in one place when they get older and are involved in more things, but that's all the more reason to make the effort and time to do so.