Knowledge, Opinions, Advice?

K

KBlues

I am seriously considering having LASIK surgery to improve or fix my nearsighted vision. I have done a lot of research, and have had two consultations with eye doctors, both singing the praises of laser surgery and both saying that I am an excellent candidate.

I have also read and heard horror stories, and the Dr's did tell me the risks and problems associated with it.

Do any of you have any experience with this, or have any stories to tell, or know anyone that has has this done? I know one oerson who loves it, and another who had a lot of problems afterward. I would really love to have this done, but I want to know everything I can before I make any decisions.

Any knowledge, opinions, or advice? I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Me Too!!

I would like to tag onto this one. I have been thinking about it and would love to hear all your opinions!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have four friends who have had it done and every one of them absolutely LOVES it. I am also considering having it done, since I hate wearing glasses and have trouble wearing contact lenses.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My Dad had it done last year and he LOVES it. No complications whatsoever and it seems to me he didn't even have much of a recovery time.

I suppose it's like anything else - some people will have no problems and others will. But I must say, if you watch a video of it being done, you'll never have it done to yourself.

J

justhangn

:smile:

Attachments

• eye_chart.gif
    eye_chart.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 235

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by vraiblonde
if you watch a video of it being done, you'll never have it done to yourself.
I saw it on TV. My husband talks about getting it done - I'll let him go first. It's a trust issue. I'd have to know the doctor pretty well before I'd let someone do that to me, and a few office visits aren't going to convince me. I've been wearing contacts for 25 years with no problems, so I'd probably pass on the surgery.

K

KBlues

Actually, one of the Drs did let me watch a procedure being performed that day (with the patient and other Doc's permission). The lasering was pretty quick and when they were done they made the guy wear these alien-looking eye shields. The nurse told me that he would hang out for awhile and the Dr would re-check his eyes in a little while.

They give you a dose of Valium before the surgery to help with the anxiety.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Luckily I have 20/20 vision, but my questions would be in regards to the long-term impact on the eye. This process has only been around for a few years and there is no data for the long-term impact. After 15 to 20 years what is the condition of the eye? As "cuts" are made will the scar tissue shift, breakdown or separate? Since they don't have any long-term data I doubt if anyone knows. It would be a shame to go from usable vision to great vision to blind.

VinceD

I know friends who have had it done and they love it. I would like to have it done, but I don't think I'm a candidate. I'm told it's only for people who are nearsighted.

K

KBlues

From what I understand, they don't cut into your cornea when performing LASIK. I know that is the procedure with PRK surgery.

With LASIK, they numb the eye, and pull back the flap that covers your cornea. Then the lasering is done to fix the vision. After the lasering, the flap is put back into place without stiches. The flap usually heals without any problems, although some have reported wrinkled or torn flaps. I am remembering this from the 45 minute video I had to watch. They even made me take a quiz afterward to make sure I understood the risks involved with LASIK.

The Dr checked and rechecked so many things with me. Thickness, size, prescription, you name it, he did and did it again to make sure. He was very concerned about getting everything exact. Also did a complete medical background on me.

A good research website is http://www.surgicaleyes.com.

K

KBlues

Farsighted people are candidates as well.
LASIK can also be performed on those with astigmatism, like me.

I'm glad all of this is still fresh in my mind from yesterday!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only bad/negative part of the entire experience was the smell of my eye burning.
Okay, well, that's enough for me! *as she valiantly tries to catch her breath*

But seriously, aside from that burning eyeball smell, how was it?
:roflmao:

K

Kizzy

I know 6 people who have had this done. No horror stories. They all seem to be very happy. I had to have tissue damage removed from my left eye with the same procedure in 1995. I was terrified, because the procedure was not well known. I was in an out with a slight headache, but I woke up a few hours later and was fine.

K

Kizzy

I don't remember the smell but I had nose surgery this year. I smell much better now. :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Reading this thread definitely makes me feel better about eventually getting the procedure done. I have had contacts for a while now, and although I have no problems with them, it's just a huge pain in the neck and inconvenience!! I've heard nothing but good things from those who've had it done, but when I mention it to my eye dr. she is always sure to bring up the many risks - but I'm sure she has to do that, and doesn't want the patient to think it's 100% safe, blah, blah, blah!

K

KBlues

OK. The Dr's office called me this morning and said they had a cancellation for this Friday and if I wanted to have LASIK done, I could slide into that appointment. (This is the place that made me watch the video and take the quiz, and they were the ones that let me watch a procedure.)

I think I am going to do it. After all the reasearch and the "comfort level" I feel with this surgeon, and the comments I have read here, I think I am going to call them back and tell them I would like to have that appointment. They aren't trying to force me into it, and it was nice that the lady didn't try to pressure me into taking the appointment.

As far as the burining smell, that is a little scary. Maybe I'll ask for a double dose of Valium! :crazy:

T.Rally

I, too have had it done. May 1999. Best thing I ever did, after wearing daily wear contacts for 20 years. I balked at the price I was going to have to pay when I was getting done. After the surgery, I realized I would have paid twice that and I paid $2,500 an eye! Don't believe the horror stories.

Do it. You are fool not too.

Near-sighted vision correction has been around for quite some time. Twenty years ago it was called PRK. Lasik differs only in that a computer and the laser now do what the doctors used to do manually. Ouch!

K

Kizzy

One would think that a bath and deodorant would have been easier.

Ok Ken I guess I left myself WIDE open for that one.

KB do it. You will be glad you did. Like I said, I had only 1 eye done for an injury if that counts (LOL). Everyone I know that has had it done has had nothing but positive things to say. I had to laugh because this guy I work with said I was so glad to see what I was washing in the shower. :blushing: