question on repairing painted woodwork...

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Another home question in the "gardening & landscaping" forum... cuz there ain't a home forum.. (hint hint vrai or david)

Some of my woodwork, especially some of the painted door frames and painted wood trim near corner walls, is badly nicked, scraped, crunched, gashed... etc.

Is there a way to repair this damage without removing or replacing the whole trim piece? Some kind of filler, kinda like you do with spackling on drywall? And if so, how do you shape it to match the rest of the wood piece?

I have some especially ugly damage on my front door frame, where it looks like a dog chewed on it.

Also, what is the best product for removing marks on painted wood trim?

Hot N Bothered

You can use wood filler, but there is no practical way to shape it to conform to a decorative molding. If it is just a small area, you can fake it by shaping it free hand with the putty knife. (If done this before with modest results.) If the damage is more extensive, you would really be better off replacing that section of molding. Most molding is pretty standard these days and readily available at Lowes/Home Depot and isn't very expensive.

As for the marks... what kind of marks?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
As for the marks... what kind of marks?

just miscellaneous marks... where something has rubbed or scraped against it...

mainman

Set Trippin
You can use various sized putty knives to shape the wood filler... most marks can be removed with sand paper....

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by mainman
You can use various sized putty knives to shape the wood filler...

I thought about that...
I was just wondering if there was any place to get putty knives already shaped like the popular trim styles...

I suppose I could make one with a block of wood or by cutting a spatula or something..

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by sleuth
I thought about that...
I was just wondering if there was any place to get putty knives already shaped like the popular trim styles...

I suppose I could make one with a block of wood or by cutting a spatula or something..
If you are doing an inner or outer corner, the trick is to do one side at a time, let it dry and then sand it, then you do the other side...

donbarzini

Use the wood filler and x-acto knives for the molding. As far as the marks, try a new product by Mr Clean. Don't recall the name but it's a white "block" that feels like a soft sponge with no holes in it. It really works on scuffs and scrapes on tile floors. Just dampen it and rub like an eraser.

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by donbarzini
Use the wood filler and x-acto knives for the molding. As far as the marks, try a new product by Mr Clean. Don't recall the name but it's a white "block" that feels like a soft sponge with no holes in it. It really works on scuffs and scrapes on tile floors. Just dampen it and rub like an eraser.
That's a "Magic Eraser" It works well on scuff marks and such.