Wisdom Teeth

D

dems4me

I'm having surgury tomorrow to remove three wisdom teeth (one is impacted) -- what kind of pain should I expect to be in after I wake up? Can I eat regular food? How long should I quit smoking? Will I be better by this weekend? I'm trying to plan my weekend and wanted to know if anyone has gone through this and after a few days whether I will be good as new or still nursing pain??? Also how swollen does your face get, surgeon said my face will be very swollen and bruised on the outside. I don't want to be seen like this... when will that all go away??
Any suggestions, opinions or advice on this would be appreciated. TIA..:frown:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by cariblue
Oh, and you may want to consider stocking up on soft foods. Yogurt, apple sauce, soup, stuff like that. If he's yankin' three, you're not going to have a safe side to chew on.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed. One was impacted so bad it took them an hour to get it out. That one took months to heal completely.

wow!!! :yikes: I'm getting scared now. :frown: I won't know how long it will take because they are putting me to sleep. I have stocked up on mashed potatoes and gravy. I don't have a sweet tooth (pardon the pun). Were you in excruciating pain the next few days or anything? :confused:

D

dems4me

I was awake for all of them. No big deal. A little sore for a few days, but nothing excruciating. My face was swollen for a few days. You just can't chew until it heals.

At least I'll be losing some weight then... :lol: I can handle being sore and being up and about! :smile: Maybe I can go forward with weekend plans... They have written out a px for Percoset (sp?) but I don't want anything that strong so I'll just stick with Ibuprofene. The surgeon said that sometimes they fracture your jaw when trying to get a badly impacted tooth out... is that what happened with your stubborn one?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Jameo
I was :barf: blood after I had mine yanked out.

But the doc should give u some good drugs! :yay:

Why were you :barf: blood :confused: now I'm getting back to being scared.:frown: wouldn't that be lovely... be with bf and then start :barf: blood everywhere... how long were you :barf: blood?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by RoseRed
Just hope you don't get dry socket. :yikes:

:yikes: :bawl:

How would that happen? Is this why I was advised not to smoke? :shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by dems4me
:yikes: :bawl:

How would that happen? Is this why I was advised not to smoke? :shrug:
Probably. I had all 4 of mine busted out of my skull many years ago and ended up with dry socket for days. I thought it was supposed to hurt that bad. :whack:

D

dems4me

Probably. I had all 4 of mine busted out of my skull many years ago and ended up with dry socket for days. I thought it was supposed to hurt that bad. :whack:

What are the symptoms of dry socket? how'd they fix it?:confused:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What are the symptoms of dry socket? how'd they fix it?:confused:
There was swelling and a lot of pain and could barely open my mouth. The dentist packed the open sockets with medicated gauze. Shoved it in with some sort of pick thing. Hurt like a MFer.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
No. In addition to the tooth being impacted, the roots were wrapped around the jaw. They had to break the tooth and pry it out in pieces. Just trauma.

That's what they did with mine. Wide awake. Talk about some nasy sounding shiat!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
There was swelling and a lot of pain and could barely open my mouth. The dentist packed the open sockets with medicated gauze. Shoved it in with some sort of pick thing. Hurt like a MFer.

:yeahthat: It was the final wisdom tooth I had removed and I got a dry socket. If I could of ripped my jaw off, I would have. :burning: It's the only one they had to cut out and they put a stitch in it to close the wound.

The gauze stuff tasted horrible and I had to go for several days (including the weekend) to get it repacked every day. It was one of the most painful things I've ever had -- other than the ear infection.

Jameo

What?!
Why were you :barf: blood :confused: now I'm getting back to being scared.:frown: wouldn't that be lovely... be with bf and then start :barf: blood everywhere... how long were you :barf: blood?

I was all f'ed up after having my wisdom teeth taking out! I was knocked out which probably made me sick and I guess the cuts were bleeding and I was swollowing it :shrugs: I think I only :barf: a few time, but eeeeekkkk, it was painful!!

Good luck tomorrow! :cheers:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oh, I forgot about that clove sh!t they pack in there.
And when they remove it, it keeps on coming out, kinda like a magic trick! :cheesy:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Jameo
I was all f'ed up after having my wisdom teeth taking out! I was knocked out which probably made me sick and I guess the cuts were bleeding and I was swollowing it :shrugs: I think I only :barf: a few time, but eeeeekkkk, it was painful!!

Good luck tomorrow! :cheers:

Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. All and all, I guess I have nothing to look forward to for the next few days other than crappyness... :frown:

Am I supposed to be replacing the gauze myself? That just sounds nasty and I guess tastes nasty -- can you drink alcohol... would that help any? Nevermind, it'd probably make me want to smoke. :frown: If I get on here in the next few days and my mood is :cussing: :cussing: :burning: at least y'all will know why:frown:

D

dems4me

and remember, milkshakes are your friend! :cheesy:

Thanks!!! good idea!!! Would I drink that through a straw or would the straw pull the guaze out?:confused: