My doggie got skunked!!! Help

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Ok, my german shepard got sprayed in the face by a skunk. I have tried everything to get the smell out and I can't. I used tomato juice, peroxide and baking soda, vinegar, and even tried just a plain old bath. I don't know what else to do. Can anyone offer any advice?

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I have this product from Petsmart that is supposed to work but it didn't even dent it. I don't know what to do. The poor thing stinks so bad and I keep trying things and I am afraid it will damage her skin.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I would have thought some of those things you tried would've worked...poor doggie. :barf: If you can't get it off maybe you can cover it up with some pet cologne, or maybe let the dog soak in some bath oils in the tub?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Even though you have tried some of the items in this mixture you still might want to give it a try.

Skunk Smell Remover
1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tbsp Dish Detergent

Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which does the trick. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Thats the same stuff I tried. I think the problem might be that she has such long hair, its not getting into her pores. I am going to have her shaved (she is an inside dog) to see if that will help. I don't know what else to do. I am going to try one last time tonight, then she is going to the groomers on Friday.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
If you've tried everything short of bathing her with a bottle of Fabreeze... I'd say asking a vet for a solution would be the only other thing I'd try. After that it would be an outdoor dog for the duration.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Well the only reason I am doing the groomers is I tried shaving her myself, and her hair is so long it burns up my trimmers. Plus she stinks so bad I can't stand it. She likes getting groomed and its not that expensive. I only do it once a year.

Usually I can't see spending that kind of money but if I could do it myself I would. Believe me Bch, its really really bad! Pure vinegar didn't even help.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Jen

If you shave that German Shepherd's fur off - I wanna see a pic! :lmao:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Re: Jen

Originally posted by Sharon
If you shave that German Shepherd's fur off - I wanna see a pic! :lmao:

Oh I do it all the time. She look really UGLY. She is part collie so she has really big ears. She looks like a giant rat b/c they shave everything except for the tail. It reminds me of a screw on tail. Its the funiest looking thing. All you see is the bushy tail against this bald butt. If I get it done I will post it.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Oh NO!

You shave your Shepherd? :nono: I think it was mentioned before. They are double-coated dogs and need their coats left in tact for heating and cooling purposes. I know, I'm a bit of a fanatic...but I don't believe in shaving dogs.

jeneisen

Indy Bound
Cat,
If I don't she gets all matted and her skin type gives off this odor. I have done it for years and never had a problem. She is rarely outside in the winter so she is never cold. I skip every other year to give it a chance to replenish. Its not completely bald, just enough to keep her cool in the summer.

spinner

You might try Massingel Douche Powder [I spelled that wrong I know] Mix it up pretty strong. that is what we used on skunked dogs. Make sure you get the powder not the pre mixed. But nothing will get the smell all the way out and every time he gets wet he's going to smell . As a groomer I think if you aren't going to brush your animal you might as well clip it down.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by BchBns
even dogs get that 'not so fresh' feeling from time to time ... :lmao:

mental note: also keep massengil around for home remedies ...

Be sure to keep that fresh in your mind.:smile: