I'm Gonna Miss My Teacher

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I must say, I wasn't prepared for this. :bawl: DQ was VERY upset when we left school today (she won't be back on Monday for the real 'last day' b/c she's going to Nanny's for the week tomorrow). She was upset b/c she won't have her same teacher next year when she's in first grade. She wasn't upset last year when she left her pre-k teacher's class (that woman was a flake, though).

I've already run through the "you get a new teacher every year so that you can learn all the different things each of them knows and teaches; if you are in the same class next year, one of the kids who's first time it'd be in Kindergarten won't be able to go; etc."

Any suggestions for helping smooth the way or explain this better from those who've been through this?

I'm open to bribery if you really think it'd work. :smile:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
One of life's lessons...change. Don't make a big deal out of it. New teachers, new friends. Bet she's better tomorrow.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
"DQ, you'll still see your teacher all the time! She's still going to be in your school and I'll bet she'd be so happy for you to visit her. In fact, when you see her in the fall, you should run up and give her a big hug and let her know how much you love her!"

crabcake

Originally posted by cattitude
One of life's lessons...change. Don't make a big deal out of it. New teachers, new friends. Bet she's better tomorrow.

Thx. I tried to not make too big a deal about it when we were leaving. We were walking down the hall, and she just stopped walking. When I looked down at her, her face was all swelled up and red, and the tears started rolling. :bawl:

DQ usually grasps things pretty well for her age, but when I tried to explain the "school evolution" process, she didn't care. I even fibbed a little, itsy, bitsy, tiny bit and told her that her teacher told me that she was the absolutely, positively smartest kid in the class, and that she would probably be teaching the first graders next year, and that she was really super duper proud of her for how well she did. :ohwell:

crabcake

Originally posted by vraiblonde
"DQ, you'll still see your teacher all the time! She's still going to be in your school and I'll bet she'd be so happy for you to visit her. In fact, when you see her in the fall, you should run up and give her a big hug and let her know how much you love her!"

That's a possibility, but not probable. We'll hopefully be moved out of state by summer's end, and she knows this. It's not so much even that that's bothering her; she wants the exact same teacher, even if we weren't moving.

I gotta give :clap: :notworthy to Mrs. Alderson at Lettie Dent ... she is by far THE best elementary school/kindergarten teacher I've ever met in dealing with three schools down here. Her classroom kids all love her so much and she's great with them, as well as with the parents.

K

Kizzy

And she'll have a new teacher next year and will like her/him a lot too.

Nice school BTW, the frog in the main office is way too cool. Registering was a piece of cake, I only have 1 piece of paper to complete on my youngest and that is it. My oldest made a comment when he went by all the kids outside doing the field day races, but of course I'll keep that comment for later, in private. :lol:

After that, I went down to the Recreation and Parks (in Charles County it is the other way around, Parks and Recreation) and registered the kids in before and after care and the youngest in the K.E.E.P. Program, also that was a piece of cake.

Between all the registering and the dentist appointment, we didn't have lunch until after 2. :ohwell:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by IM4Change

Nice school BTW, the frog in the main office is way too cool. Registering was a piece of cake, I only have 1 piece of paper to complete on my youngest and that is it. My oldest made a comment when he went by all the kids outside doing the field day races, but of course I'll keep that comment for later, in private. :lol:

After that, I went down to the Recreation and Parks (in Charles County it is the other way around, Parks and Recreation) and registered the kids in before and after care and the youngest in the K.E.E.P. Program, also that was a piece of cake.

Between all the registering and the dentist appointment, we didn't have lunch until 2. :ohwell:

:tantrum

How did you land Lettie Dent and not Mechanicsville? :confused:

crabcake

Originally posted by IM4Change

glad everything went smooth for you. if yours is going into kindergarten, BEG for Mrs. Alderson. She's awesome. :smile:

they had a blast at field day, even though most of it was moved inside b/c of the threat of rain/showers. they also had a mime show for about 40 minutes that the kids loved.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Christy
:tantrum

How did you land Lettie Dent and not Mechanicsville? :confused:

Believe it or not, we are zoned for that school.

They checked and checked again. I was just as suprised. They divided Rt. 5 down the middle, everyone on the northbound side goes to Lettie Dent, the soundbound side Mechanicsville.