To say or not to say????

K

Kimmy

Just wanted to get some feedback on a thing that has been bother me today. OK here the deal.
My husbands nephew is about 6 or 7. He has told me that his parents leave him at home sometimes by himself. Sometimes it is for a short period and other times it is for longer periods. What in the world are you suppose to do??
Do you say something to Social Services and risk that chance of him being put in Foster Care. Confront the parents in a adult manner and tell them that you would be more than glad to help out in the evenings. But afraid of doing that because than my husband and I will more than likely be taken advantage of. Do I say something to the school?

HELP
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

J

justhangn

It largely depends on the maturity of the child to how long that child can be left alone without parental supervision.

Personally, I would give the parents to option to bring the kids over when they need someone to watch him and then give them a hint when doing so that you are concerned for the child’s well-being when he is left alone.

Just a thought.

K

Kimmy

Oh he has had to grow-up very quick for his age. He is quite mature for his age. But the neighborhood that he lives in is not very good at all.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kimmy
Oh he has had to grow-up very quick for his age. He is quite mature for his age. But the neighborhood that he lives in is not very good at all.

You can call social services to confirm this, but I do believe that you can leave a child 7 or old alone for up to 4 hours.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I think he's too young to stay all by himself. I'm wondering where are the parents going that's so important that they can't plan to find responsible care for their son.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Originally posted by justhangn

You can call social services to confirm this, but I do believe that you can leave a child 7 or old alone for up to 4 hours.
With some of these lunatics loose and the way kids are preyed on now days... I wouldn't leave them that vulnerable for a minute... Let alone four hours! :nono:

K

Kimmy

Not to be rude but Social Services is that last source of resource I would take information from. These days and times you can't even leave a teenager at home who is old enough to stay by themselves. There are some pretty nasty people out there how have very sick minds.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Kyle
With some of these lunatics loose and the way kids are preyed on now days... I wouldn't leave them that vulnerable for a minute... Let alone four hours! :nono:

Agreed and understood, I'm just stating the law. Linda has checked into this because she is in need of finding a full time job and the :bonk: would be left alone at the house for 5 to 10 minutes until I got home from work. :spank:

J

justhangn

Not to be rude but Social Services is that last source of resource I would take information from. These days and times you can't even leave a teenager at home who is old enough to stay by themselves. There are some pretty nasty people out there how have very sick minds.

There's no doubt that some people out there need lead. I still stand by my statement of offering to watch the munchkin until a better solution is found.

K

Kimmy

My husband and I plan on doing that. But we are just afraid of being taken advantage of. Like the parents not showing up until 9, 10, 11 o'clock at night or not even showing up at all. I love the kid like he was my own.

J

justhangn

My husband and I plan on doing that. But we are just afraid of being taken advantage of. Like the parents not showing up until 9, 10, 11 o'clock at night or not even showing up at all. I love the kid like he was my own.

It sounds like the parents need a good swift :spank: :bonk:

SxyPrincess

Originally posted by justhangn
It largely depends on the maturity of the child to how long that child can be left alone without parental supervision.

Tell that to Social Services or the state of Maryland, government. There are laws against this sort of thing and I'm sure a quick search on the internet could provide a valuable link.

No way would I leave an 8 yr-old unsupervised, for any amount of time. IMO--that's child abuse. :mad:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Info

Q: "At what age can a child be left home alone in Maryland?"

A: Family Law Article, § 5-801, provides:
(a) A person who is charged with the care of a child under the age of 8 years may not allow the child to be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle while the person charged is absent and the dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle is out of the sight of the person charged unless the person charged provides a reliable person at least 13 years old to remain with the child to protect the child.
(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both.

http://www.djj.state.md.us/faqs.html#faq010

check out the site, copy it and send it to them anonymously.

K

Kimmy

Re: Info

Originally posted by cattitude
Q: "At what age can a child be left home alone in Maryland?"

A: Family Law Article, § 5-801, provides:
(a) A person who is charged with the care of a child under the age of 8 years may not allow the child to be locked or confined in a dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle while the person charged is absent and the dwelling, building, enclosure, or motor vehicle is out of the sight of the person charged unless the person charged provides a reliable person at least 13 years old to remain with the child to protect the child.
(b) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to a fine not exceeding $500 or imprisonment not exceeding 30 days, or both.

http://www.djj.state.md.us/faqs.html#faq010

check out the site, copy it and send it to them anonymously.

Thanks I think that I may do that. I will have to talk to my husband first.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Before doing anything drastic I would recommend mentioning it to the parents first. Tell them that the little boy has voiced to you on several occasions that he is left alone, and with all going on these days it concerns you. I wouldn't offer to help initially, though, because like you said - then you'll probably get taken advantage of. There are several after school programs or Recs and Parks that they could look into.

It's so scary the risks that people will take leaving children alone.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Kimmy,

Print out the post made by Cattitude containing the law. Then confront these family members with it and let them know that you will help out, within your conditions (being on time to pick him up, etc.). Let them know that if you find out they are leaving him you will report them to the state. Remind them it isn't to be mean or about them, but to be sure your nephew is safe and being adequately protected.

K

Kizzy

I agree 110% with BchBns and I am glad you cleared that up cat. The law is the law and I think 8 is reasonable. My son is 7 years old and he gets off the school bus at 4:30 p.m. and I am home by 4:50 p.m., but I have my grandmother watch him. He is very mature for his age, but even so, the law is the law. I wouldn't want him taken away over something like this, so I obey the law. It ONLY takes one concerned citizen and that child will and can be taken away from them.

romance

One of the sinners
I would confront the couple about leaving the child alone. There are so many people, sickos, idiots, out there who would take advantage of him. If that didn't work I would definately report the parents, family or no family.

Also, MHO, the law is not right at all. I have a 11yr old cousin (almost like a nephew). He is more like a grown-up then most grown ups I know. But there is NO WAY in you know where I think he should be left alone. Not with the way this world is today.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Children can seem wise beyond their years at 7 or 8 ..even 11 but the fact remains they are still children. How they react in extreme circumstances and the judgment they use is something that you won't know until the unthinkable happens.

SxyPrincess

Yes, a 7 or 8 year-old may be on a higher maturity level than children h/er age however, they are still children and therefore, must be protected and cared for. Regarding this thread, the law is the law and I don't think it's one to be violated.

A girl in her teens (13-15, say) may look and act more maturely, also. I still don't think that gives them a right to wear 'adult' clothing, ie...booty shorts and short shirts. (I know, swinging away from the topic.)