Sex Education 101

Nanny Pam

I have the DQ this week. She (is 5) asks if she and another little boy (6) she knows from my daycare can go to Dewey Beach playground. I said sure since I needed daycare supplies and had to go to Dewey anyway.
On the way down I hear the DQ reading to Harley. I listen because I thought I heard the word "penis." Sure enough, I look in the rear view mirror and she is reading "Where did I come from?" to him. This book has illustrations!! :yikes: I said, "K, where did you get that book?" "Oh, my Daddy bought it for me." I asked her to read something else that was funny so she could cheer me up. I didn't know what else to do or say. She caught me totally off guard. I surely didn't want her giving Harley his education. I can't believe her daddy got her that book!! I think she is way too young for that.
When we got to the playground, Harley says, "Nanny was K really reading that stuff or was she making it all up?"
I told him she was really reading it, but I thought the funny story was so much better.
He said, "yeah" but the pictures were better in the first book! :yikes:

:roflmao: kids....

I took Harley home and explained what happened to his Mom. She told me not to worry about it since he will forget all about it anyway.
:whew:

K

Kain99

What strikes me funniest is... K felt the need to pack the book and bring up to Nanny's! :wink:

I know for a fact that Momma felt the exact same way you do when J brought that book to the DQ. By the time momma came home K had the entire thing basically memorized. You know K, If Daddy buys it it's golden. I don't think mom had any choice but to let her keep it.

Absent dady has no idea when it's appropriate to start talking to baby girl about this or anything else for that matter.

Try to stay calm and look at the bright side. Knowledge is power. She will never be anyone's puppet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Big deal. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I told my 3 year old son all about it (well, not ALL about it). He wanted to know how that baby got in there and how it was going to get out. So I told him about the Daddy planting the seed (in euphemistic terms) and how the baby gets out.

Story:

When Doug was in preschool, his teacher calls me one afternoon to to tell me that he was using "inappropriate sexual language" in class. I was like, "Well, what did he actually say?" Come to find out he was singing, "I'm your penis, I'm your fire, what's your desire?" :roflmao: A case of mixed up words.

Poor Doug :lmao:

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Story:

When Doug was in preschool, his teacher calls me one afternoon to to tell me that he was using "inappropriate sexual language" in class. I was like, "Well, what did he actually say?" Come to find out he was singing, "I'm your penis, I'm your fire, what's your desire?" :roflmao: A case of mixed up words.

Poor Doug :lmao:

:killingme

Nanny Pam

Originally posted by Kain99
What strikes me funniest is... K felt the need to pack the book and bring up to Nanny's! :wink:

I know for a fact that Momma felt the exact same way you do when J brought that book to the DQ. By the time momma came home K had the entire thing basically memorized. You know K, If Daddy buys it it's golden. I don't think mom had any choice but to let her keep it.

Absent dady has no idea when it's appropriate to start talking to baby girl about this or anything else for that matter.

Try to stay calm and look at the bright side. Knowledge is power. She will never be anyone's puppet.

Oh, I am calm. I'm fine. Just a little shocked her daddy gave her that book.
I asked J when we made the "switch" about the books. She told me she didn't know what K packed, but if I saw something that should go back home then send it back. (K had read most of them & wanted me to read them to the daycare kids) Well, rest assured, that book will definately go back.
Did J show you the book? It has pictures!! Granted, they are cartoon pics, but ALL the body parts are there, both male & female!!
I mean, I was rolling when I told hubs, so was he, but to give that book to her at this age is crazy!! When I see her daddy I'm gonna let him have it! :burning:
What was he thinking!?

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Why is that too young of an age to learn about one's body? The sooner they know what the opposite sex has, the less inquisitive they are. My daughter (age 3) knows the difference between a boy and a girl and that is what is used to go to the bathroom. She is just like the little boy on Kindergarden Cop "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina."

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by jwwb2000
Why is that too young of an age to learn about one's body? The sooner they know what the opposite sex has, the less inquisitive they are. My daughter (age 3) knows the difference between a boy and a girl and that is what is used to go to the bathroom. She is just like the little boy on Kindergarden Cop "Boys have a penis, girls have a vagina."
My son is really smart for his age (just turned 2), I don't think he's supposed to know the difference between boys and girls. The only time he uses gender terms is when he's angry at someone (he says "Him!" and points...this originated when my 10 yr old brother started pizzing him off and he'd come to me and say "Him!".) I correct him when he refers to a "her" as "him", but his only concern right now is conflict resolution. :lol: The only female he calls a girl is our cat...usually saying "No, girl", "Down, girl".

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
When you get a male puppy and your child decides to pinch his little winky off, then you have to tell them something other than "don't touch"! Ever since we told her that a penis and vagina are used for going to the bathroom, no other questions have evolved. And she doesn't try to pinch the dog anymore! BTW, she wasn't even 3 yet when we told her either.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Kids are different and learn at different times in their lives. Noah is 2 and a half and has known for a long time the difference between boys and girls. When he was in the bathtub exploring himself I thought it was the appropriate time to tell him that that was his penis. Months later when I was changing or getting in the shower or something and he said something about my "penis" I thought it was appropriate to tell him that mommy was a girl and that girls have a "suzie" not a penis. It was a big thing for a while. He's smart and everywhere we went he picked out boys and girls and told me who had a penis and who had a suzie. After a few weeks it faded.

The only thing that ever bothered me that anyone else told him was (go figure his father's family) when his Aunt Heather told him he wasn't allowed to touch his penis. :rolleyes: First of all he's got to touch it when he pees, I've been teaching him how to wash himself properly and when he asks if he can touch someone elses penis or suzie I've told him the only private area he's allowed to touch are his own.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Joshua isn't too concerned with his "pee-pee", as he calls it. He just knows that's what he pees with, and that's all he cares about. In the last week or so he's gotten real bad with repeating key words and phrases. "Stupid" is his favorite. I'm sure it won't be too long before he's saying "penis" out in public. :lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Nickel
Joshua isn't too concerned with his "pee-pee", as he calls it. He just knows that's what he pees with, and that's all he cares about. In the last week or so he's gotten real bad with repeating key words and phrases. "Stupid" is his favorite. I'm sure it won't be too long before he's saying "penis" out in public. :lol:

Little kids and their big mouths is exactly why I decided to tell know that the girl parts were called a suzie. I could just imagine him running around telling every female he saw that they had a vagaina. :shocked: IM4 has a funny story about her son.