Things I learned on my first road trip on the bike.

Pete

Repete
Went on my first road trip with my neighbor and his biker pals. The following are things I learned.

1. When riding a Honda in a group of 5 Harleys you are only going to be ribbed about your Honda from the moment you first start the engine until you put it back in the garage, just grin and bear it..

2. Never buy a new cool looking helmet then wear it on a 200 mile trip for the first time.

3. When they put you in the middle of the pack don't worry about drifting around too much and hitting them, they will stay well clear of you.

4. Sunscreen is your friend.

5. Even the biggest geek in the group will "outrank" you because he has a Harley.

6. Be sure the backpack you lashed to your sissy bar doesn't rub on your fender.

7. When the guy in front of you does a hard brake for a firetruck be sure you don't get excited and use too much back brake, especially on brand new asphalt, or the back end will slide around on you and the tire will make a very distinktive squeel and people will stare.

8. If something like #7 happens act like you meant to do it. They wont believe you but it is good for a laugh.

9. The smell of ripe road kill is magnefied X10 on a bike.

10. When the afore mentioned Harley guys get froggy on a very curvy road it is perfectly ok to let them tear off. You will catch up to them sooner or later. They will give you grief but it is better to be alive and catch grief than it is to have them sad at your funeral.

11. Never try to trade in a brand new Honda on a Heritage Soft Tail no matter how gorgeous it is.

12. When at the gas pump it is ok to give the Harley dudes grief about them having to buy premium gas while you pump regular.

13. Road kill smells really bad on a hot day.

14. Don't yell "EAT MY RICE" at a Harley sponsored bike show.

15. When you buy raffle tickets for a new bike and trailer, do not rush home expecting there to be a voice mail saying you have won, you wont. Especially since they saw you ride away on a Honda, you know they threw your tickets in the trash.

It was a great trip, I had a blast.

K

Kizzy

6. Be sure the backpack you lashed to your sissy bar doesn't rub on your fender.

Well, if you wouldn't have used boys Pokemon bookbag, it might have worked out better for you. :rolleyes:

:cheers: Glad you had a good time.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by IM4Change
Well, if you wouldn't have used boys Pokemon bookbag, it might have worked out better for you. :rolleyes:
:cheers: Glad you had a good time.
Yea they noticed it too. They asked me which Pokemon it was and I told them it was "kissmyhondaridingassachu"

Pete

Repete
16. Did I mention sunscreen is your friend.

17. 49.5 MPG is just a bonus.

18. Don't go to a Harley dealer and oggle at the bikes or you will have a great dream about yourself on a brand new Road King tooling down the road with a stacked scantily clad brunette woman on the back with her hair rubbing your neck. Then you will awake and be disappointed because the hair you felt was Chopper the wonder cat and you still have a Honda in the garage.

19. New boots are good for riding but suck for walking around a bike show for a couple hours.

20. Shout takes out bug guts from clothing really well.

21. No matter how you try to rationalize it $20,000 for a motorcycle is crazy.

22. Even though the windshield on your Honda came off a Harley you cannot call it a Honda-Davidson.

23. Contrary to comon beliefs biker chics do not show their boobs at the mere suggestion.

24. When you are almost 40 Hooters girls are cool to look at but are really just a gaggle of 20 year old juveniles with nice butts.

25. Crossing the 301 bridge with a 10 knot cross wind increases the pucker factor 2% for each knot of wind.

Vince

:killingme :killingme That's great Pete! Wish I could've gone riding yesterday, but too much work around the house to do. There was another car/bike show in loveville somewhere.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by Vince
:killingme :killingme That's great Pete! Wish I could've gone riding yesterday, but too much work around the house to do. There was another car/bike show in loveville somewhere.
So Vince, you wanna buy a 2004 Honda Shadow Sprit?:wink:

SmallTown

Football season!
One thing I always get a kick out of is that your normal harley guy is a real "manly man", yet for most of them the bike of choice is called a soft tail :ohwell:

Vince

Originally posted by Pete
So Vince, you wanna buy a 2004 Honda Shadow Sprit?:wink:
I'm looking at alot of bike reviews, etc. The Harley Sportster - the 883 is not big enough and the 1200 has vib problems above 55. I want something that I can cruise with at 60 - 70 and not vibrate my hands off. Can't afford a Low rider and I can't see paying that kind of money. Looking at the new Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600. Lots of good reviews and no vibs. Right now I'm just looking to buy a new seat for my 86 Honda 1100. Anybody know where I can get one without paying an arm and a leg to the Honda dealer? Where's PT when you need him?:biggrin:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I'm looking at alot of bike reviews, etc. The Harley Sportster - the 883 is not big enough and the 1200 has vib problems above 55.

The new 1200s have a rubber mounted engine and the rewiws I've read say that it will actually leave the fillings in you teeth.

Right now I'm just looking to buy a new seat for my 86 Honda 1100. Anybody know where I can get one without paying an arm and a leg to the Honda dealer?
Looked on E-Bay?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Originally posted by Pete
10. When the afore mentioned Harley guys get froggy on a very curvy road it is perfectly ok to let them tear off. You will catch up to them sooner or later. They will give you grief but it is better to be alive and catch grief than it is to have them sad at your funeral..

You've got a bike that will out handle and out run almost any stock Harley. Pratice on Fairgrounds Rd till you can run it at about 70.

Vince

Originally posted by aps45819
The new 1200s have a rubber mounted engine and the rewiws I've read say that it will actually leave the fillings in you teeth.

Looked on E-Bay?
Not yet, but on Ebay you need an account and all that bs. Don't want to go through that. Looking for somewhere to order a new seat that will fit my Honda.

Not yet, but on Ebay you need an account and all that bs. Don't want to go through that. Looking for somewhere to order a new seat that will fit my Honda.
Tell ya what, you go on ebay and do the search for what you want, cut & paste the url and send it to me, and I will do the bidding for you. You would then send the money to the seller.

Vince

Originally posted by huntr1
Tell ya what, you go on ebay and do the search for what you want, cut & paste the url and send it to me, and I will do the bidding for you. You would then send the money to the seller.
Think I'm going to buy a new seat since I'm going to keep the bike for a few more years. It'll take that long before I can afford a new bike. Looking at spending the money on a mustang seat.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
If the seat is comfortable enough, Mustang also makes a cover (scroll down to the bottom of the previous link). Save some $$$