...Heart Songs...

watercolor

yeah yeah
He was a brilliant boy, a great person overall. I never got to familiarize his life in front of me- but someone who I adore and love did. Through him, I got to hear about that person who changed so many lives in only 13 years of his presence.

I have seen pictures of him playing in the pool...shooting water guns with the determined look for his next victim. Looking back on photo's of him having fun even with those damn tubes providing him breath through his nose.

Listening to all the old stories about the MDA camp and the fun and exciting times there. I made a visit to my husband once (before he was my husband) while he was away. Unfortunate for me, I did not get to meet this special person. A person; that I was told could make you laugh in an instance, but could also bring you silent in a moment.

All the talk shows and guest appearances must have been so exciting. Oprah, Larry King, and book signings! What a rush that must have been.

Talent? Yes. Courage? Yes. I know I have aspirations of what he did, but I could have never brought myself and the paper together- although someone who is a little over a decade younger than me did it in a heart beat. Living his life to the fullest with every song his heart could sing.

I know this isn't much- but the stories I have heard, and the laughter that was brought by you- that one special person- who lit up so many hearts with his poems and laughter....I hope you are running free now with out any pain and those tubes have become not a memory.

It is because of you, along with many others that now; Muscular Dystrophy is not shunned, but known that it can be conquered through in life, with a heartbeat at a time. Showing that there are so many strong people out there- who are by far better people than some of us could <i>ever</i> be.

Thank you for making a difference in so many lives including the life of someone who I adore, my husband. You have given him so many reasons to open his life to new choices. You and Jon both. Although Jon was probably already waiting for you when you got there, to show you his new pair of kicks that you both would be indulging while running that mile!

....To you, Mattie Stepanak... may your memory always be cherished by those who read your words in the publishings you brought to us through your Heart Songs.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
There was a nice piece on him this morning on the news. What an inspiration that young man was! He will be missed. :bawl: