Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Are you against this

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Neither

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
Hmmm. They're strays so I assume not tags, not well cared for, no collars, likely just feral animals, right? If nobody wants them in three days, put them to sleep humanely.

I love animals too and have lots of them, BUT nobody that found one of my animals running loose would ever suspect that they were wild. They have been fixed, are up to date on shots, have tags, etc.

By keeping down the number of wild domesticated dogs/cats/etc. we're decreasing the likelihood of the spread of disease to our domestic ones. Take care of the ones we have properly and we'll have less of this sort of thing to deal with.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by tlatchaw
Hmmm. They're strays so I assume not tags, not well cared for, no collars, likely just feral animals, right? If nobody wants them in three days, put them to sleep humanely.

I love animals too and have lots of them, BUT nobody that found one of my animals running loose would ever suspect that they were wild. They have been fixed, are up to date on shots, have tags, etc.

By keeping down the number of wild domesticated dogs/cats/etc. we're decreasing the likelihood of the spread of disease to our domestic ones. Take care of the ones we have properly and we'll have less of this sort of thing to deal with.

funny you should mentioned tags... :lol: not all animals that show up at shelters are the feral not cared for animals.. sometimes lost pets end up there... and I just think 3 days is not enough time for the owners to locate the pet...personally, if mine arn't home at night I get very worried, the second day, franticly waiting and day 3 I make the flyers up, etc... I'd be heart broken if I finally tracked my pet's whereabouts only to find out they only gave the owners 72 hours to locate their pet and the owner was too late. :bawl: I thought 6 days was too short but now three?:frown:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
No tags or collars doesn't mean they're feral or wild. The 2 little dogs I just got were collarless and just the most wonderful sweet creatures I've ever seen. In fact, out of all the dogs I've rescued, none had collars on when found, and they've been the most loving dogs I've ever seen. The one with a collar was kinda crappy, that was the one that tried to kill one of my own dogs. That was my first failure. And all the cats! I'd trade my evil collared cats in a second just to keep one of the friendly pizza stealing, tv watching kitties I've fostered. Can't do that though.

I am constantly amazed at the pleasant temperment of the dogs and cats I get out of the pound down here. I can't vouch for CA animals, but VA ones here in Norfolk turned out pretty sweet.

3 days isn't enough time to get the word out that an animal needs help. What if the owner works and can't get off till Sat to go and check the pound? People don't always plan to lose a pet, that's why they're often found without tags. There's a home for every critter, it just takes time to find it. I know they can't keep them indefinately, but cripes! 3 days is awful.

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it is good that way you have six days to get your animal back if you lose it.
This way the animal shelter will not be over crowded with animals.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Stang Girl
I think it is good that way you have six days to get your animal back if you lose it.

Are you for or against this? :confused:

W

Wenchy

Originally posted by Stang Girl

Stang, this proposal would reduce the holding period to 3 days, and the reason is overcrowding--Ahnold wants to change the 6 day waiting period to only 3. Many of these strays, as Hello6 has pointed out, make the most loving of pets, and this will reduce their chances of being adopted. If you lose your precious pet in the state of California, and three days go past..bye-bye!

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Hello6

3 days isn't enough time to get the word out that an animal needs help. What if the owner works and can't get off till Sat to go and check the pound? People don't always plan to lose a pet, that's why they're often found without tags. There's a home for every critter, it just takes time to find it. I know they can't keep them indefinately, but cripes! 3 days is awful. [/B]

:clap: :clap: :cheers: :clap: :clap:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
The shelters will ALWAYS be overcrowded with animals, because people refuse to take responsibility for their pets. Greedy breeders, thoughtless owners, people treating pets as if they are disposable has to stop!

D

dems4me

The shelters will ALWAYS be overcrowded with animals, because people refuse to take responsibility for their pets. Greedy breeders, thoughtless owners, people treating pets as if they are disposable has to stop!

:clap: :clap:

I concur!! :high5:

Stang Girl

Mr. and Mrs.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Wenchy
Stang, this proposal would reduce the holding period to 3 days, and the reason is overcrowding--Ahnold wants to change the 6 day waiting period to only 3. Many of these strays, as Hello6 has pointed out, make the most loving of pets, and this will reduce their chances of being adopted. If you lose your precious pet in the state of California, and three days go past..bye-bye!

Om I didn't read it right can I vote again. I think 3 days is to short. Sorry

D

dems4me

Originally posted by kwillia
Stang, you really should read for content before voting... your premature vote just resulted in some poor homeless kitty getting his head lobbed off...:bawl:

r808668324.jpg

:yikes:

:bawl: :bawl::bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

SamSpade

3 days isn't enough time to get the word out that an animal needs help. What if the owner works and can't get off till Sat to go and check the pound?

I once took two day's leave without pay to search for a lost pet (I found her). If someone can't be bothered to check the pound for a lost pet until the **weekend** (or until it's convenient), they DON'T DESERVE TO BE CARING FOR ONE.

If you can't pick up your kids at school, what do you tell the principal? "I'll pick 'em up on Saturday"?

Strays get euthanized. Three days, six days, 10 days. Fix your pets, and take care of them. Adopt new pets if you choose. But why should anyone try to make it harder to do what needs to be done? It's called a "humane" shelter because the animal's alternative is to starve or freeze or get hit by a vehicle. They die humanely.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Originally posted by kwillia
Stang, you really should read for content before voting... your premature vote just resulted in some poor homeless kitty getting his head lobbed off...:bawl:

r808668324.jpg

:lol: I saw that this morning. Terrible angle.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by SamSpade
I once took two day's leave without pay to search for a lost pet (I found her). If someone can't be bothered to check the pound for a lost pet until the **weekend** (or until it's convenient), they DON'T DESERVE TO BE CARING FOR ONE.

If you can't pick up your kids at school, what do you tell the principal? "I'll pick 'em up on Saturday"?

Strays get euthanized. Three days, six days, 10 days. Fix your pets, and take care of them. Adopt new pets if you choose. But why should anyone try to make it harder to do what needs to be done? It's called a "humane" shelter because the animal's alternative is to starve or freeze or get hit by a vehicle. They die humanely.

But Sam sometimes they do find homes... I think 72 hours is way too short of time to try to find your pet or to relocate and find a good home for a stray:frown:

tlatchaw

Not dead yet.
3 days isn't enough time to get the word out that an animal needs help. What if the owner works and can't get off till Sat to go and check the pound? People don't always plan to lose a pet, that's why they're often found without tags. There's a home for every critter, it just takes time to find it. I know they can't keep them indefinately, but cripes! 3 days is awful.

So 3 days isn't enough and the pound is overcrowded and will be regardless of the amount of time the animals are kept. People don't take good enough care of their animals too, is that correct?

Why should they get their pet back if they let it run loose? My dogs get loose just like any dog, but when they do I go right after them. Or are these doggies that ones that are left tied up outside all day without owners at home? Should those folks really be keeping pets at all then?

My Brother-in-law has a TON of feral cats in his neighborhood. They're wonderful, we adopted one and guess what? She has feline leukemia! This is the sort of thing that an effective pound policy can help with. I don't agree that there's a home for every critter, even people that keep a bunch of them have a limit to the amount they can keep in good health.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by SamSpade

Not too many employers are willing to make the same allowances for pets as they do for children. I have to take my anipals to the vet on my own time, and I wouldn't get to stay home with one just cause it's sick.
My pets are my kids. If I had kids and the Principal called me to come get them, they'd better stay there till Sat, cause I'm gonna kill them, and it wouldn't be humanely.
:burning:

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Originally posted by tlatchaw
So 3 days isn't enough and the pound is overcrowded and will be regardless of the amount of time the animals are kept. People don't take good enough care of their animals too, is that correct?

Why should they get their pet back if they let it run loose? My dogs get loose just like any dog, but when they do I go right after them. Or are these doggies that ones that are left tied up outside all day without owners at home? Should those folks really be keeping pets at all then?

My Brother-in-law has a TON of feral cats in his neighborhood. They're wonderful, we adopted one and guess what? She has feline leukemia! This is the sort of thing that an effective pound policy can help with. I don't agree that there's a home for every critter, even people that keep a bunch of them have a limit to the amount they can keep in good health.
I'm not saying give the dog back to the original owner, just give it more time to be seen by the public to be adopted out to a better person.
If a pet owner is letting the dog run loose, or is keeping it tied up in the back yard 24/7, the dog deserves a chance at being adopted by a better owner. 3 days doesn't give it much of a chance for people to come by and see it.
I've only rescued one cat that was FIV/FLK positive and our rescue policy is to put it down. There's nothing else we can do, and the disease is preventable.

D

dems4me

Not too many employers are willing to make the same allowances for pets as they do for children. I have to take my anipals to the vet on my own time, and I wouldn't get to stay home with one just cause it's sick.
My pets are my kids. If I had kids and the Principal called me to come get them, they'd better stay there till Sat, cause I'm gonna kill them, and it wouldn't be humanely.
:burning:

I think I'd be laughed out of the office if I said I had to take a few days off of work to look for a pet ... I would be more inclined to just call in sick or make something up though :shrug:
I too take care of my anipals :)wink:) on my own time. :shrug: