Should I tip ?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
It is a business.They are shampooing,washing,waxing-the full lot. $165.

Whenever I've gotten a thorough detailing like that, I usually throw the guy $10. Inspect the vehicle first, pay your bill, then find the guy who actually did it, thank him, and hand him the $10. He'll definitely remember you and this will come in handy for future vehicles you bring to him.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
since we are on the subject of tipping, what do you tip when you get carryout, and it has a spot for a tip?

Depends on the carry-out. For a place like Pizza Hut or Chinese, I usually don't bother unless it's a huge order. But for locally owned places, I'll add a dollar or two. I used to work at a local pizza place in college, and even though I was a waitress, I packaged all to-go orders, made a lot of the easy foods like sandwiches and salads, etc. I always appreciated a dollar or two from a customer that had a huge to-go order but I never expected it.

Also big chains have different clock-in codes/pay scales for you if you're the to-go orders person that night vs. the waitress, so your pay is different depending on what "job" you're doing that night. A to-go person will get paid min. wage+ bc they're not expected to make tips, a waitress will be on service tip pay (usually $4-5+tips). In a local mom and pop's place, that's usually not the case. If there are tables in the establishment, owner has no choice but to keep all waitstaff on service tip pay (unless it's large enough where they can hire and claim someone who ONLY handles to-go orders) so the person putting your order together is actually a waitress, probably only making $5-something an hour but isn't going to walk away with as many tips as the waitresses on the floor for the full shift. I always think of how much that sucked when I worked those positions, so as long as the kid wraps it all to-go properly, I'll add a couple bucks.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Whenever I've gotten a thorough detailing like that, I usually throw the guy $10. Inspect the vehicle first, pay your bill, then find the guy who actually did it, thank him, and hand him the $10. He'll definitely remember you and this will come in handy for future vehicles you bring to him.

^ Here's your answer ^
l l

SG_Player1974

You dont tip the cooks when you go out do you?

If you are picking up a pizza or Chinese food, it is essentially the same thing. I only tip if a service was provided AND it was good service!

BernieP

Resident PIA

What he said.
If you think the service was over and above, then by all means throw the employee a tip.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
since we are on the subject of tipping, what do you tip when you get carryout, and it has a spot for a tip?

When I order carry out I just leave my phone number in the tip line with a note to give me a call if they want a ride in my Z06.

acommondisaster

I'm kind of like luckybee - if I'm phoning in an order to a restaurant that I'd tip at if I ate in, I tip - but not the kind of tip I'd leave if they were waiting my table. If I am picking up a big order from somewhere, I like if I can check the order before I swipe my card and then I tip. I'm apt to tip less if I have to pay for a big order before I check to see if it looks like it's all there. If I'm having to ask for cutlery and napkins and sauce, etc, I feel like I'm doing their job, so I tip less. If it's somewhere with a counter where I order (like chipotle, apple spice junction, etc) I don't tip. That tip line on a receipt used to make me feel guilty about not tipping, but I've kind of gotten immune to all of that since every time I swipe my card in stores, they seem to be asking for money for food bank, cancer fund, juvenile diabetes, etc etc etc - I've gotten used to saying no without feeling like a meanie.

For the detailing, if it's a guy who does it as a side job, or as his own business - I would not tip; he's already figured what he's worth. If it's a guy working AT a detailing business, I'd personally tip the guy who did the detailing in cash.

I kind of wondered if I should tip the guys that moved the stuff from the moving van into the house. They were locals and worked hard for maybe 4 hours. Then stuck around and invited me to go tubing with them. People out here are so damn friendly. Haven't seen a crappy driver yet. Oops I should say one girl, one guy. I wasn't sure about the female at first.

RPMDAD

beachcat, we go to rte 4 and 2 chinese restaurant for carryout all the time, they have a tip jar on the counter. I normally use my debit card or cash for the food and will usually put a couple dollar bills into the tip
jar. We usually order for 6 or 7 people at a time. Our orders are normally pretty big.