Outdoor Cats

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Got up this morning, walked outside, and found two stray cats hanging out on my front porch.

Now, I don't want any indoor cats... I'm still trying to get that pungent odor from the previous owner's cats to disappear on hot days. :bawl:

But, I wouldn't mind having a cat or two around outdoors to keep the spiders away from the porch and to kill rodents.

Would there be anything improper or potentially unhealthy for them if I fed them to keep them around, even though I don't plan on offering medical treatment and such?

Like I said... I don't want pets... I just wouldn't mind them hanging around to kill rodents. The most I'm willing to do for them is feed them, and fix them (if I can catch them) so that the number of cats hanging around doesn't get out of control. I might be willing to give them one round of shots if they're free or cheap somewhere.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by sleuth

Would there be anything improper or potentially unhealthy for them if I fed them to keep them around, even though I don't plan on offering medical treatment and such?

Yes, feeding them to keep them around for your use and then refusing to take care of them properly. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

That would be rather stupid Slueth. If they get rabies or have rabies, people will know where they were last seen and who left food bowls out.

Pete

Repete
Originally posted by IM4Change
That would be rather stupid Slueth. If they get rabies or have rabies, people will know where they were last seen and who left food bowls out.
I think it is just plain wrong.

J

jmo2276

if your gonna feed them u should be responsible enough to take them to the vet and have them taken care of from shots to if they get sick or something or even hurt by another animal you know.

nomoney

Originally posted by jmo2276
if your gonna feed them u should be responsible enough to take them to the vet and have them taken care of from shots to if they get sick or something or even hurt by another animal you know.

have you gotten bent over the ol' hood yet?

SeaRide

Originally posted by jmo2276

if you 're gonna feed ducks at the pond, you should be responsible enough , right? :rolleyes:

if you're gonna feed racoons that comes in your yard, you should be responsible for those criiters, right? :rolleyes:

:boo:

bluecat

Originally posted by sleuth
Got up this morning, walked outside, and found two stray cats hanging out on my front porch.

Now, I don't want any indoor cats... I'm still trying to get that pungent odor from the previous owner's cats to disappear on hot days. :bawl:

But, I wouldn't mind having a cat or two around outdoors to keep the spiders away from the porch and to kill rodents.

Like I said... I don't want pets... I just wouldn't mind them hanging around to kill rodents. The most I'm willing to do for them is feed them, and fix them (if I can catch them) so that the number of cats hanging around doesn't get out of control. I might be willing to give them one round of shots if they're free or cheap somewhere.

Yes, if you want to keep them around, you should keep them up to date on shots and them spayed or neutered.

I have 2 cats, but they don't need shots that often. One or 2 shots might last a year and then the others are 2 or 3 year shots.

The Well Pet Clinic is REALLY cheap so I would go there to have everything done.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by James White
Sleuth,
What is up with the urine odor ????

The owner before me had over 6 cats and at least 1 large dog in the house. When I moved in I replaced 3 out of 4 rooms of carpeting, bleached the subflooring before laying down new carpet, and even got a carpet mat with an odor shield.

Yet there's still a faint musty cat urine smell that is not so faint on hot days.

I need to replace the other room's carpet, although I fear that it's not going to get rid of it either, and I probably need to clean out the ductwork and pour some lime in the crawlspace, which has a lot of cat feces in it (I found a mummified dead cat - rat poisoned? - in there when I moved in).

In short, I bought the house hoping that with enough carpet replaced and a good cleaning, that the odor would be gone. So far... losing battle.