Tree with big purple flowers

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I have a tree with big purple flowers in my yard. They look like Hibiscuis (sp?) flowers but my mom said that it wasn't a hibiscuis but she couldn't remember what it was called. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by pixiegirl
I have a tree with big purple flowers in my yard. They look like Hibiscuis (sp?) flowers but my mom said that it wasn't a hibiscuis but she couldn't remember what it was called. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

Crepe myrtle, maybe?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Re: Re: Tree with big purple flowers

Originally posted by cattitude
Crepe myrtle, maybe?

I've looked at pictures of those online. Mine is a very slender tree, probably very young still and the flowers aren't bunched together and look identical to single hibiscus flowers. The only reason I'm thinking it may be something different is because it does have different leaves then my mom's hibiscus and hers haven't even started to flower while my tree has been flowering for weeks. :confused:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Could also be Rose of Sharon. I have them. It's kinda bushy but it grows tall. The flowers look like hibiscus.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by cattitude
Could also be Rose of Sharon. I have them. It's kinda bushy but it grows tall. The flowers look like hibiscus.

Rose of Sharon is also known as Hibiscus syriacus.

tcfromky_1059967856_108.jpg

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Originally posted by pixiegirl

Probably a paulownia tree. What do the leaves look like?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
The leaves on my mom's hibiscus were long and slender. Mine looked more like maple leaves.

I swear she called it something with an "A" but it wasn't azalea.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Well ladies....

This is the better of the 2 pictures I could find on the internet.... Lemme find out I got me some rare plant growing in my yard.... Good thing most these people don't know where I live. :lol: Catt gets the cookie and I get to tell my mom that ha ha I was right it IS a hibiscus. I will have to ask her again what she thought it was just so we (or I) can find a pic of it and laugh at her when it looks nothing like mine. Just kidding of course.

U4DE60.jpg

B

baswm

Sounds like the Rose of Sharon to me. They do grow big like a tree. To me, they drop their seeds all over and sprout new plants. Almost as bad as bambo.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
sushisamba said:
Do you know any planting tips for them?
Um, dig a hole, stick the root in the hole, put the dirt back in the hole and water it. They are not picky at all. I have some growing in clay soil that I just plopped in the ground.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
BS Gal said:
Um, dig a hole, stick the root in the hole, put the dirt back in the hole and water it. They are not picky at all. I have some growing in clay soil that I just plopped in the ground.
Thanks. Was hoping someone could suggest light exposure.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
sushisamba said:
Thanks. Was hoping someone could suggest light exposure.
Mine get some sun in the p.m. They are pretty forgiving wherever you put them. I've seen them doing fine in full shade, also. If you kill yours, I have more you can have.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
BS Gal said:
Mine get some sun in the p.m. They are pretty forgiving wherever you put them. I've seen them doing fine in full shade, also. If you kill yours, I have more you can have.
:huggy: