July is National Hot Dog Month

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
According to the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, Americans will be consuming the infamous little red tubes of "meat" in record numbers this summer.

The Council estimates that over seven billion hot dogs will be eaten by Americans between Memorial Day and Labor Day. During the July 4th weekend alone (the biggest hot-dog holiday of the year), 155 million will be downed.

Every year, Americans eat an average of 60 hot dogs each. They are clearly one of the country's most loved, but most misunderstood, comfort foods. Below you'll find some frequently asked questions regarding the hot dog. For more information, visit the Council's website at www.hot-dog.org. Bon appétit.

What exactly is a hot dog made of?

Nope. You're not allowed to ask that one. And do you really want to know anyway? For the record, the Council refers to the actual meat as "specially selected meat trimmings." They would like to point out, however, that thanks to stricter U.S. Department of Agriculture rules, hot-dog meat has become much leaner and, unless otherwise indicated, must be made from muscle (as most meat found in supermarkets is).

Most supermarket hot dogs use cellulose casings, which are removed before packaging. Some, however, still use the traditional natural casings, made from animal intestines.

By law, a hot dog can contain up to 3.5 percent of "non-meat ingredients." Don't be scared. This is usually just some type of milk or soy product used to add to the nutritional value. Many hot dogs may be relatively high in fat and sodium, but they are also a good source of protein, iron, and other necessary vitamins.

0004-150dpi.jpg

America's Top Ten Favorite Hot Dog Brands

(Based on dollar sales in the year 2000, the last year for which statistics are available.)

1. Ball Park $251 million

2. Oscar Mayer $198 million

3. Private Label (store brand) $110 million

4. Bar-S $89 million

5. Oscar Mayer Bun Length $57 million

6. Hebrew National $49.6 million

7. Bryan $49 million

8. Eckrich $44.6 million

9. Armour $36 million

10. Nathan $35 million

hotdogpic1.gif

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I friggin' love hot dogs! :banana: Especially the ghetto Oscar Meyer ones with the cheese on the inside, and the ones you get from the street vendors that have been sitting there for 17 days! They rock!!!!! :getdown:

Rael

Supper's Ready
I love 'em, especially from the street vendor trucks up north. They're like Nathans mostly, but with mustard, kraut, and hot onions they are to die for. I go for at least a half dozen every time I visit up there. :yay:

Pete

Repete
kwillia said:
Hey... what about "Great Dogs" chicken franks... hmmmmm...:mad:
:barf: I had a hankering for chilli dogs a while back and grabbed "chicken franks" by accident. i was so disappointed I threw them off the deck into the creek.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Pete said:
:barf: I had a hankering for chilli dogs a while back and grabbed "chicken franks" by accident. i was so disappointed I threw them off the deck into the creek.
You fed the raccoon's!?!?!?!

You're going to burn in hell for that, you know. You should NEVER feed wild animals, Pete.

Tsk. Task. Tsk.

Vince

This thread just reminded me of a hotdog place back in Pa. They made the best hotdogs around. This greek guy started out with a little shed type hotdog stand back when I was a kid. It's still going today with his kids of course and the guy is a millionaire. Just from selling hotdogs.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I still really love hot dogs. :lol: Only the all beef kind, and I prefer Hebrew National. And no K_Jo, I'm still not Jewish. :roflmao:

usagent

Nickel said:
I still really love hot dogs. :lol: Only the all beef kind, and I prefer Hebrew National. And no K_Jo, I'm still not Jewish. :roflmao:

Ever wonder what they do with the foreskin? :lalala:

Pete

Repete
BadGirl said:
You fed the raccoon's!?!?!?!

You're going to burn in hell for that, you know. You should NEVER feed wild animals, Pete.

Tsk. Task. Tsk.
The racoons wouldn't even eat them