Chase Bans Storage of Cash in its Safety Deposit Boxes

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Report: JPMorgan Chase Bans Storage of Cash in its Safety Deposit Boxes

Some JPMorgan Chase customers are receiving letters informing them that the bank will no longer allow cash to be stored in safety deposit boxes.

The content of a post over on the Collectors Universe message board suggests that we may be about to see a resurgence of the old fashioned method of stuffing bank notes under the mattress.

My mother has a SDB at a Chase branch with one of my siblings as co-signers. Last week they got a letter outlining a number of changes to the lease agreement, including this:

“Contents of the box: You agree not to store any cash or coins other than those found to have a collectible value.”

Another change is that signatures will no longer be accepted to access the box. The next time they go in they have to bring two forms of ID and they will be issued a four-digit pin number that will be used to access the box then and in the future.

The letter, entitled “Updated Safe Deposit Box Lease Agreement,” was sent out to customers at the beginning of the month.

“Hide your wallets, the banksters are on the move,” warns the Economic Policy Journal.

As of last month, Chase has also instituted a new policy which, “restricts borrowers from using cash to make payments on credit cards, mortgages, equity lines, and auto loans,” writes Professor Joseph Salerno of the Mises Institute.

The news arrives on the back of comments by Citi’s Willem Buiter, who recently advocated abolishing cash altogether in order to “solve the world’s central banks’ problem with negative interest rates”.

frogman123

Report: JPMorgan Chase Bans Storage of Cash in its Safety Deposit Boxes

Some JPMorgan Chase customers are receiving letters informing them that the bank will no longer allow cash to be stored in safety deposit boxes.

The content of a post over on the Collectors Universe message board suggests that we may be about to see a resurgence of the old fashioned method of stuffing bank notes under the mattress.

My mother has a SDB at a Chase branch with one of my siblings as co-signers. Last week they got a letter outlining a number of changes to the lease agreement, including this:

“Contents of the box: You agree not to store any cash or coins other than those found to have a collectible value.”

Another change is that signatures will no longer be accepted to access the box. The next time they go in they have to bring two forms of ID and they will be issued a four-digit pin number that will be used to access the box then and in the future.

The letter, entitled “Updated Safe Deposit Box Lease Agreement,” was sent out to customers at the beginning of the month.

“Hide your wallets, the banksters are on the move,” warns the Economic Policy Journal.

As of last month, Chase has also instituted a new policy which, “restricts borrowers from using cash to make payments on credit cards, mortgages, equity lines, and auto loans,” writes Professor Joseph Salerno of the Mises Institute.

The news arrives on the back of comments by Citi’s Willem Buiter, who recently advocated abolishing cash altogether in order to “solve the world’s central banks’ problem with negative interest rates”.

I'll never understand why people stay with some of these banks. This policy wouldn't effect me as I don't have a SDB, but I would change banks regardless. In this day in age, I never physically go to the bank as I can do it all online, so no longer is your geographic location an excuse. Ditch these banks! Bank of America is just as bad, if not worse from what I hear.

PsyOps

Pixelated
How do they even know what you put in your SDB? It's private. Do they have some sort of authority to search what you put in there? I don't use one, so I don't know.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
How do they even know what you put in your SDB? It's private. Do they have some sort of authority to search what you put in there? I don't use one, so I don't know.

There's no way they can know unless they are spying in the closed room with cameras. I have a safe deposit box at my bank for certain things. I also have a very secure safe at home that is bolted down to my concrete slab and connected to my wireless security system.

I'd dump Wells Fargo if they go the same route.

tommyjo

I'll never understand why people stay with some of these banks. This policy wouldn't effect me as I don't have a SDB, but I would change banks regardless. In this day in age, I never physically go to the bank as I can do it all online, so no longer is your geographic location an excuse. Ditch these banks! Bank of America is just as bad, if not worse from what I hear.

That's a brilliant philosophy. Make sure you never: complain about job losses or lack of employment opportunities as you are helping to eliminate all the bank related positions...complain about lack of local funding...as you are removing funds from your community since you could very easily choose a local community bank instead of one of the behemoths...complain when your identity is stolen or you have no access to your money because you do all your banking online.

Chris0nllyn

That's a brilliant philosophy. Make sure you never: complain about job losses or lack of employment opportunities as you are helping to eliminate all the bank related positions...complain about lack of local funding...as you are removing funds from your community since you could very easily choose a local community bank instead of one of the behemoths...complain when your identity is stolen or you have no access to your money because you do all your banking online.

:lol:

So, we should stick with banks we don't like, in a capitalist society and free market system, because it could hurt their business?

Are you eating more at McDonalds to save jobs? Are you shopping more at Wal-Mart to save jobs? Or do only community jobs at community employers get that luxury? I'm sure you only have Comcast to keep people working.

blacklabman

The period "." is your friend.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

that was my initial thought ... how would Chase know

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:lol:

So, we should stick with banks we don't like, in a capitalist society and free market system, because it could hurt their business?

:doh: I cannot believe I am going to do this

.... as you are removing funds from your community since you could very easily choose a local community bank instead of one of the behemoths.

I think TJ was trying to say

... use a bank, just a local one not a multi-national

Vince

There's no way they can know unless they are spying in the closed room with cameras. I have a safe deposit box at my bank for certain things. I also have a very secure safe at home that is bolted down to my concrete slab and connected to my wireless security system.

I'd dump Wells Fargo if they go the same route.
I'm putting mine under the mattress.

Toxick

Splat
That's a brilliant philosophy.

It's a better philosophy than "continue patronizing a business whose practices you disagree with".

Make sure you never: complain about job losses or lack of employment opportunities as you are helping to eliminate all the bank related positions...

$T2eC16R,!ysE9sy0iH+)BR)8PVIZg!--60_35.JPG

Taking your business elsewhere "eliminates" bank related positions.

Do you even listen to yourself?

RPMDAD

we do have a safety deposit box at our bank and keep important paperwork in it, sadly no money, wish there was. Everytime i have opened it the bank rep. left the area, don't know if i was under surveillance or not.

PsyOps

Pixelated

Sometimes you have some great posts. Most of the time they are like this.

We're not there for the banks; they are there to SERVE us and our needs. When they violate our trust they deserve to go out of business. I am concerned about jobs, but when it comes to service businesses provide me; it's not my duty to overlook piss poor service in order to save jobs and sacrifice my peace-of-mind in order to save those jobs.