Childcare Centers vs Private Providers

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Assuming both have good level of care, I prefer private provider for infants and a daycare center for kids beginning around 3 years of age.

K

Kain99

I always liked the Centers.. I felt safer thinking that they were more regulated. I just didn't trust people with my babies. In fact I was down right paranoid every time I left them.

Luckily they grew up without a scratch. :wink:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by cattitude
Assuming both have good level of care, I prefer private provider for infants and a daycare center for kids beginning around 3 years of age.
I prefer my private provider to a day care center simply because I want to know that my child is being supervised at all times. I don't like the idea of a ton of kids running around, with my son not getting the attention he needs (this was more an issue when he was an infant...not so much now that he's 2). My only problem is that when the "babysitter" takes vacation, I either have to make other arrangements for a week, or take of work. Not to mention when she gets sick :ohwell:

K

Kizzy

I am with Kain, but I have every reason to feel the way I do.

My children are bused from Waldorf to Indian Head to school, so I have had to back track 15-20 miles for daycare for years out of my way, when I do drop off and pick up, it has been 30-40 miles out of my way, everyday, over the years. Anyway, one evening my husband and I had a dispute. He was exhausted and wanted to sleep in the next day, a Friday, and I just wanted to go to work extra early and get off early. My argument was that I did all the drop offs and pick-ups that week, and usually, I give in, but there was this little voice that told me to stand my ground, so this time I didn’t.

Thank God too.

My sitter had been suffering from a very bad cold, and all the mommies that did the a.m. drop off said she seemed fine. Since my hubby ended up doing the drop off that morning, he didn’t get to the house until 9:30 a.m., hours after the other mommies. He walked into the house and found the sitter incoherent. She had septicemia, which is an infection in the blood. It was that sudden. There was 2 space heaters running full blast, 2 infants in the house crawling around, the front door was wide open and several of the kids hadn’t been put on the school bus. My husband called the ambulance, called all the parents and well lets just say that move saved her life. She was convalescing for nearly a year after the incident, so we had to place our children in a center. I will say that after that incident, I felt very secure with a daycare center. One of the mommies was so traumatized by that incident; she quit her job and hasn't been back to work since.

What happened is rare, but it does and could happen. I cannot stress this enough. There were 2 kids at the house that day that knew something was wrong, yet neither of them was aware they could call 911. They were 9 and 11, old enough to know better.

Last edited by a moderator:

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by cattitude

:yeahthat:, but I put my daughter in a center around the age of 2. Since then I've seen a HUGE difference. She's been thriving more than ever. It is surprising how much they learn due to their interaction w/ other kids. Granted, not everything they learn is good. You win some, you lose some. I'm definitely happy with my choice, though! :yay:

I went back to work when my son was 3 months old. I placed him a daycare center in Huntingtown. I have NEVER had second thoughts nor have I ever worried about him. He has literally grown up there. Jacob is now two years old and everyone from the infant room to the preschool room upstairs know him. He was spoiled rotten by the teachers there. They took to him immediately. I won't complain, because I know he's being watched and taken care of well.

A relative has a child that has never been in daycare. This child has been watched at home by a Grandparent. This child has some social issues for sure.

The center has very strict rules and a very large staff. I never worry that someone isn't with my child at all times watching what he's doing. There are at least 2 watching over a group of six at all times.

I think he learns more there than he ever would at home with me. *chuckle* But perhaps when he starts school I can at least be there for him before and after ... I would feel much better with that. Not to mention only having to work part-time! Woohoo!! But we'll see :smile:

Highspeed

If you can't be at home at all I feel a center is best until the child can speak to you and tell you how they feel about their day, and how it went. At least in a center, there are other people to keep eyes on the level of care your child is getting as well as other children to watch and see how they respond to the care their receiveing as well. If a lot of kids are screaming at drop off and they ave been attending for awhile I do not consider it a good sign. Also don't be afraid to ck withthe licensing dept and ask for references. You can never be to careful.