Nursing....help???

Highspeed

I am nursing my 6week old. She is the third child but the only one i have nursed. I went out today to an appointment and my mother watched her. She has taken to screaming whenever someone else holds her and needs my bood to put herself to sleep. Can you offer any alternatives I could try? Pacifiers don't work.

TWLs wife

Originally posted by Highspeed
I am nursing my 6week old. She is the third child but the only one i have nursed. I went out today to an appointment and my mother watched her. She has taken to screaming whenever someone else holds her and needs my bood to put herself to sleep. Can you offer any alternatives I could try? Pacifiers don't work.

Ask eemeemdee. She helped me out with good advice.

B

baswm

lol. Sounds like my third child Ashley. She is 18 months old and now only gets the boob to go to sleep. It is more like a secuity issue we think. She would not take a pacifier or a bottle. My wife says you may be in for a long haul if it is like ours. She said to try breast pump and different types of nipples on the bottles and pray for a lotta luck.:biggrin:

*shazz*

I work in a post-partum unit in a hospital. What we do to get babies to stop crying when not with their mommies is to use your (clean) pinky finger and rub it gently on their lips, easing it into their mouth, then rub gently on the roof of the baby's mouth. They will start sucking, thinking it is a nipple. It's 100% effective for us...works everytime!!!!

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by *shazz*
I work in a post-partum unit in a hospital. What we do to get babies to stop crying when not with their mommies is to use your (clean) pinky finger and rub it gently on their lips, easing it into their mouth, then rub gently on the roof of the baby's mouth. They will start sucking, thinking it is a nipple. It's 100% effective for us...works everytime!!!!

High,

My doc taught me this trick, and she called it finger feeding...

Do as shazz recommended, but try finding a large syringe and a feeding tube to attach to it. Put the milk or formula in the syringe and place the feeding tube next to your pinky while inserting into her mouth. Be careful not to insert the tube too far, though.

It's worth a shot. :shrug:

Good luck!

Highspeed

Originally posted by *shazz*

I got your suggestion but I can't hold my finger in her mouth 24hours a day. The problem lies with her using my breawst to lull herself to sleep, to make herself feel more comfortable.

I have tried using my nuckle and she will take it however if you take it out of her mouth she wakes up, and if someone else is watching her I certainly don't want their fingers in her mouth.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by Highspeed
I got your suggestion but I can't hold my finger in her mouth 24hours a day. The problem lies with her using my breawst to lull herself to sleep, to make herself feel more comfortable.

I have tried using my nuckle and she will take it however if you take it out of her mouth she wakes up, and if someone else is watching her I certainly don't want their fingers in her mouth.

I would say your only other option is to start weening her. :shrug: Or maybe you could try switching it up with a bottle every once in a while. Maybe you could try something like this to start out with.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Mine was the same way. I got these Gerber pacifiers that were suppose to be more natural and I would have to swaddle him up, put the pacifier in his mouth then hold him next to my body with his face buried in my boob (clothes on). He eventually started taking a pacifier without having to be held like that.

Highspeed

Originally posted by ememdee19
I would say your only other option is to start weening her. :shrug: Or maybe you could try switching it up with a bottle every once in a while. Maybe you could try something like this to start out with.

Great Idea

Thanks