wana jam?

H

HollowSoul

just curious if anybody is interested in gett'n together and hav'n a jam session, I'm mainly into guitar but can also do keyboards. My primary sound is in the Staind, Saliva, Godsmack, 3 Doors Down category, but i'm pretty flexible......lemme know

newnickname

I go to the GreenDoorTavern.com on Wednesday nights. It's pretty easy to find good musicians to jam with there. Good luck

MikeyBash

I play bass and i'm always looking to jam. What kinda stuff do they play at the green door? Blues and Classic Rock is my thing, but the green door is kinda a college bar, so they probably do more modern stuff.

i'll check it out!

BuddyLee

Football addict
I just got a Fender Strat a few months ago and I've been trying to learn by myself. Don't know if you'd want to jam with a tarded electric guitar player.:lol:

MikeyBash

The fact that you chose a Strat makes you jam-worthy in my opinion. Strats have the best sound, no question about it. You can never get that crunchy sound from a Les Paul. I have a mexican-made strat myself...and i even use the wammy bar!

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by MikeyBash
The fact that you chose a Strat makes you jam-worthy in my opinion. Strats have the best sound, no question about it. You can never get that crunchy sound from a Les Paul. I have a mexican-made strat myself...and i even use the wammy bar!

Thanks. I thought that If I were to buy anything It would have to be a strat. :guitar:

MikeyBash

Strats are hard to keep tuned, and the single-coil pickups are more noisy than humbuckers. But the three pickups in a strat are wired so that if you set the switch to use two of them, they act like a humbucker.

You know that Clapton song "Lay down sally"? that's the strat sound all the way.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Strats are hard to keep tuned, and the single-coil pickups are more noisy than humbuckers. But the three pickups in a strat are wired so that if you set the switch to use two of them, they act like a humbucker.

You know that Clapton song "Lay down sally"? that's the strat sound all the way.

I have to practice a tune for awhile so that I can get used to the thing. Learning on your own is quite frustrating at times. I just need to keep at it.

joedancer

bookman
Strats

I play Strats and Les Pauls. I have two Strats, one an older mexi and the other a year old American. They both stay in tune. The newer pickups are noiseless, so they are very different than the Strats of old. I also have an american Tele, a PRS, an Epi BB King Lucille and a bass. I sold off some of my guitars as my collection was getting to big. I love them all!

Joe

PS- there are other open mic nights in the area. One at Harbor sounds in Solomons on Tuesdays another that comes to mind.

joedancer

bookman
You are a true guitar connosuer (sp?)

what kind of strings do u use on your strats?
I use D'Adarrios on all my axes. A lot of things can make guitars go out of tune. If you play frequently, changing them monthly will help. If you home has problems with humidity, that can cause problems as well. Do you mean that it goes out of tune when you are playing or when it is just sitting around? The wammy bar can make it go out of tune if used agressively, but, it shouldn't.
Thanks for the compliment! We must be the only ones awake at this hour!
Joe

MikeyBash

Rust never sleeps, and neither does this rusty muscian!

I use Rotosound bass strings and boil them when they get dull. They cost too much to replace often.

My guitar tuning problems are probably more due to my playing style...i use a heavy pick and strum like hell!

joedancer

bookman
Bass strings are expensive! Especially upright bass strings (which I do not play). Still your guitar should not be going out of tune so much. Have you though about replacing your tuners? That is one thing that can make a real improvement on a Mexi Strat. Don't get me wrong, I love my mexi! I also have the trem blocked on it, as I don't use it very much, so that may be the difference.
I will be hosting a jam at my place in a few weeks, hope to see you there!
Joe

H

HollowSoul

I never really did like strats very much...iv'e grown more accustomed to ibenez and bc rich, i usually have to switch strings 2x a month cuz i'm constantly in drop d doing double-quad pick'n.

newnickname

On open mic night, you will hear all kinds of tunes on any given Wednesday. I've played anything from bluegrass to rock. It's a pretty diverse crowd, not just college kids, especially since most are at home for the summer. The other night there's a husband and wife who play guitar and cello. I'd say 75% of the music is top 40 stuff. Some people have originals. Mandolin bluegrass every once in a while, and some regular jam sessions. Sound is already setup by Steve and his bandmates from shallowdeep. They have a web site, if you want to check it out. www.shallowdeep.com

I play the drums. I really like the congas, but can play the set. Haven't had enough practice on the set lately. I've been moving around a lot with no room for a kit. Hope to see some of you's up there next Wednesday.

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I play the Guitar and Banjo. I played Guitar for a few years off and on, mainly Metallica and Led Zepplin. I bought a banjo about six months ago but have not had much time to learn to play it well. It's hard trying to find people who play the Banjo, especially young people.

Tomcat

Anytime
Magnum said:
I play the Guitar and Banjo. I played Guitar for a few years off and on, mainly Metallica and Led Zepplin. I bought a banjo about six months ago but have not had much time to learn to play it well. It's hard trying to find people who play the Banjo, especially young people.
Metallica and Led Zepplin on banjo :notworthy :notworthy of course I cheated and bought a 6 string banjo, tune and play it like a guitar but it sounds like a banjo.