Archbishop Neale School

marianne

Anyone have experience with Archbishop Neale School in La Plata? We're thinking of sending our kids there when they get a little older and would love to know what other parents/kids like or don't like about the school.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by marianne
Anyone have experience with Archbishop Neale School in La Plata? We're thinking of sending our kids there when they get a little older and would love to know what other parents/kids like or don't like about the school.
I don't know anything about the school personally, but when I was in high school (96-00), the ANS kids rode high school buses. You can imagine the type of behavior they're exposed to and pick up. From my experience, the ANS kids were all brats. I don't know if it's due to where they lived or where they went to school, but they were not as well behaved as the kids in public school (and I can compare, because my youngest brother is still in elementary school).

Cletus_Vandam

I have had first-hand experience with ANS. Class sizes are smaller and more controlled (both education and discipline) that what you will find publicly.

I believe that the students there stand a better chance of getting an education, as opposed to public schools. The principles of studying and pushing the children to learn and work are greater at the private school than they are in the public arena. Once the foundation of how to study and get an education are started, this frame of mind is one that the child will carry with them all the way through college.

Private schools are aren't afraid to discipline children either. Public school children get away with just about everything... As far as the discipline on the bus that Nickel mentions, it's up the driver to keep control of things, not the kids. An important aspect of bus discipline is that the bus and driver are under contract with the public school system, not ANS. If there is a discipline problem on the bus and the driver lets things escalate or continue, that’s his fault, not the kids. Kids are going to do whatever you let them get away with. I can assure that there is difference in the discipline in the school itself.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Originally posted by Cletus_Vandam
I have had first-hand experience with ANS. Class sizes are smaller and more controlled (both education and discipline) that what you will find publicly.

I believe that the students there stand a better chance of getting an education, as opposed to public schools. The principles of studying and pushing the children to learn and work are greater at the private school than they are in the public arena. Once the foundation of how to study and get an education are started, this frame of mind is one that the child will carry with them all the way through college.

Private schools are aren't afraid to discipline children either. Public school children get away with just about everything... As far as the discipline on the bus that Nickel mentions, it's up the driver to keep control of things, not the kids. An important aspect of bus discipline is that the bus and driver are under contract with the public school system, not ANS. If there is a discipline problem on the bus and the driver lets things escalate or continue, that’s his fault, not the kids. Kids are going to do whatever you let them get away with. I can assure that there is difference in the discipline in the school itself.
I understand your point, however I'd be a little upset if I paid x amount of dollars for my kid to get a private school education, all the while he's riding a bus hearing about sex, drugs, drinking, etc at the tender age of 6. That can be alleviated, though, if you have the capability to drop off and pick up...I don't understand why they bus them with the high school anyways, it would make more sense to put them with their peers. :shrug:

Cletus_Vandam

I agree 100% with you on elementary and middle school kids riding on the bus with high school kids.

It's bad enough that here in St. Mary's they mix middle and high school on one bus. I would terrified if I were in third grade riding the bus with high school aged people.

However, the logistics of providing separate busses running the same route at basically the same time just to keep school kids with the peers isn't possible either. I don't know the answer to this problem. You have three school levels and you can only stagger the start and end time so much before you get into lunch time issues with when the kids eat.

:confused:

All I know is I would rather be in study hall right now, instead of being at work...:clap: