How long was my electric off????

C

czygvtwkr

Does anyone know if such a device exists that you can plug in and it will tell you when your electric has been off and for how long it has been off?

I go away alot for a week or so at a time and would like to know if the food in my freezer has thawed and will kill me if I eat it.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Don't put a battery in your electric alarm clocks:yay: They'll be blinking if the power goes out:wink:

C

czygvtwkr

I know that my electric went off from my VCR clock, but I want to know how long it was off for and when it went off.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
I know that my electric went off from my VCR clock, but I want to know how long it was off for and when it went off.
That probably flashes 12:00 constantly right? With my alarm clock it reset's to 12:00 and keeps time from there. I just figure out the difference from the actual time and the time the clock is up to and the difference is the amount of time the power was out:shrug:

S

Shutterbug

Any idea on how to gage if your food in the fridge is ok? My power was only out for 14 hours, but now I am scared to touch the mayo.....

C

czygvtwkr

My neighbors have stolen my mail before, I really dont want to rely on their answer. Besides I often get home late at night and want something to eat.....

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by kayellesee
Any idea on how to gage if your food in the fridge is ok? My power was only out for 14 hours, but now I am scared to touch the mayo.....

I'd say that since mayo is what - $2 a jar, throw it out and buy a new one? Can't be that difficult.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Does anyone know if such a device exists that you can plug in and it will tell you when your electric has been off and for how long it has been off?

I go away alot for a week or so at a time and would like to know if the food in my freezer has thawed and will kill me if I eat it.
If you plug it in and the electricity goes off, it will go off too, so how would it be any different than a regular electric clock? :confused:

mus

I would think the stuff in your freezer would keep. It will stay good and cold for a while without power. The refer, to a lesser extent, but unless your power is off for days (unusual, normally) you should be fine. And if you are skeptical, you could always follow ememdee's advice.

C

czygvtwkr

Re: Re: How long was my electric off????

Originally posted by Nickel
If you plug it in and the electricity goes off, it will go off too, so how would it be any different than a regular electric clock? :confused:

Well it could have a battery in it

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Buy a battery operated indoor/outdoor digital thermometer. Get the kind that retains Min/Max temps, and has a wire probe for the outdoor temp. (Don't get a cordless because the signal probably won't go through your 'fridge.) Put the display unit in the 'fridge, and put the outdoor probe in the freezer. Then, you can always see just how warm/cold the freezer/fridge have been while you were away. Reset as needed. I have a basement fridge, and that's how I determine the safety of the food items contained therein.

willie

Originally posted by amjsnj
Put some ice cubes in a freezer bag, if the power goes out for awhile they will probably melt
I used the half full ice cream tub as an indicator but the bag of ice cubes sounds like a winner. Is re-frozen meat still healthy? It smelled OK but had lost a lot of taste.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Here's three options I found on the internet:

1. "It's been over a month since you have been able to visit your property. How do you know if your pipes are freezing or if your electricity has been interrupted?"

http://www.virtualtechnologiesltd.com/Water_Watcher.htm

2. Home Guard (SM-VM-500-2):
Basic Temperature Monitor and Power Alarm.
Protect Against Power Damage or Furnace Failure

"This simple and inexpensive home temperature monitor/home alarm meets basic needs for most homes. Plug in, set dial-out numbers and PIN and the HomeGuard home monitor is on duty.

Power monitor feature alerts for power outages (more than five minutes).
Temperature sensor prompts temperature monitor feature to sound home alarm alerts for temperature drops below 45 degrees. (Note: Temperature for alerts CANNOT be changed).
Dials out to two (2) 20 digit phone numbers. CANNOT dial out to a pager.
Power Alert: Stops calling out when power comes back on.
Remote access: Check temperature and power any time.
Plug-in wall transformer, splitter and telephone extension cable included.
4 hour battery back-up.
FCC Approved and Registered.
Enclosure Dimensions 5 1/2" x 5" x 2 1/2".
Click here for Home Guard Manual and Installation Instructions.

Part Number Description Price
SM-VM-500-2 Home Guard Monitor, Spring Special, Reg. 195.95
Currently In Stock - (8/15/2004) Suggested Retail:
$209.95
US $185.95

http://www.safehomeproducts.com/SHP/SM/Home_Guard.asp#input_guard

3. This would be the best one I think:

http://www.e2di.com/Who-uses-it.html

The ThermaViewer™ is a new type of dynamic thermometer that can display weeks and months of temperature history of the refrigerator and freezer .
The ThermaViewer™ is powered by a 120vac power supply with a 9vdc battery backup. It enters battery mode and the display 'sleeps' if the 120vac power is interrupted. While the display is asleep, the probes continue to collect temperatures for a few days. In the event that power is not restored before the 9vdc battery is depleted, the stored data will still be retained, although the unit will not collect new data. Once power is restored, the display wakes up and the power light comes on.

:cheers: :cheers: