Facebook HomoPhobic

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Facebook Policy Makes People Use Their Real Names And Liberals Somehow Think That's Homophobic

Seems like someone doesn't quite know how this Internet box thingy works. People create false identities online all the time (ever been to YouTube?)

The pretentious and unapologetic liberal cheerleaders at Slate.com have a piece out that says, because Facebook has a policy of making people use their real names and identities they're somehow homophobic and transphobic. Never mind that there are PLENTY of people who don't use their real names or identities on Facebook anyway (and that's BEFORE they implemented 58+ gender options).

Slate points to the case of a transgender woman named Zoe Cat, who is actually a former Facebook employee - moreover, the employee who invented the 58 gender thing, but she (sure?) is upset because Facebook won't let her change the name on her profile so she (and other LGBTQ people) can stay anonymous and still use Facebook as a social media platform -

Consider the case of Zoë Cat, a former Facebook employee. In an essay posted to Medium (and subsequently republished on Gizmodo), Cat explains that she had fallen afoul of Facebook’s real-names policy, which forces the site’s users to go by the appellation they use offline or face banishment. (Cat welcomed me to refer to her by that name, though she wrote the piece under the name Zip.) A trans woman, Cat explains that she selected her Facebook name years before as she was beginning to transition. In a later post, she added that she subsequently changed her legal name to something else altogether. Nevertheless, she continued to employ the one she had first selected on the social network because “she wouldn’t be recognized by” the newer one. Facebook, Cat wrote, “decided my name was not real enough and summarily cut me off from my friends, family and peers.” She says that Facebook gave her one week to “provide proof of name.” She hasn’t provided proof, and her profile is still active as of Monday afternoon—but that may be because of the fuss her posts created. Regardless of what happens to her profile, the kerfuffle speaks to a broader problem about managing identity in a digital world.