Pre-K

devilvice

Angel
My daughter will be starting Pre-K this year and was originally going to be transferred to Carver Elementary. However, I have been hearing awful things about this school. So does anyone have advice on certain schools or I have even been thinking about Catholic school?

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Prep N Play in Hollywood is a Preschool/Daycare, they are WONDERFUL....my daughter went there from 2 until right before she started 1st grade. I wished she could of stayed but they have an age limit 2-5. If it is not too far out of your way & they have openings I would highly recommend them.:biggrin:

suzeQ

Occasional User
Originally posted by devilvice
My daughter will be starting Pre-K this year and was originally going to be transferred to Carver Elementary. However, I have been hearing awful things about this school. So does anyone have advice on certain schools or I have even been thinking about Catholic school?

If you really live in Leonardtown, there's not much chance your daughter will be assigned to Carver Elementary.

They are currently in the temporary annex building, while a new building is being built. The staff there is not bad. I think the school got a bad reputation when they were in Southampton Neighborhood, with open air drug markets everywhere. The redistricting does include some 'less than desirable' neighborhoods, but some nice ones as well. The Pre-K program is not offered in all public schools, only those which qualify based on income levels of student population.

Are you prepared to avoid Carver for the next seven years, or are you only concerned about the Pre-K year?

suzeQ

devilvice

Angel
I am concerned about the pre-k right now because next year I am most likely moving to Ohio. The only reason my daughter would go to carver is because my daycare provider is in that school district. So I need to make arrangements now if I am to have her go else where weather it be public/catholic school. And I was just seeing if anyone had opinions for schooling.

suzeQ

Occasional User
That makes sense. Are you willing to change day care providers?

The buses won't go out of their school district to pick up students. If you have transportation arrangements to get her to another school, that might work.

The Pre-K program is basically the same at all schools that have it. They have one teacher and one paraeducator (teacher's aide), with no more than 20 students. All students must be 4 years old on Dec. 31.

The program itself is basically self-contained (not intermingled with other grade levels) and on paper looks great. It is a 'school readiness' program, which prepares students for learning. Naturally the staff would make a big difference, but Carver, as well as most Lexington Park elementary schools, has a big turnover each year. I don't know who the teachers are there this year. Typically, the years spent in the annex show an even larger turnover rate. Stop by the school and take a look at the classroom. Get a feel for the school and even arrange to talk to the teacher.

If you are happy with your daycare arrangements, it would probably be easiest to just send her to Carver for the year.

Good luck.

suzeQ

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by deino2002
Prep N Play in Hollywood is a Preschool/Daycare, they are WONDERFUL....my daughter went there from 2 until right before she started 1st grade. I wished she could of stayed but they have an age limit 2-5. If it is not too far out of your way & they have openings I would highly recommend them.:biggrin:
:yeahthat:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
My daughter went to Kindergarden there last year, wasn't too bad. She was in pre-K at Green Holly before that and I liked it much better. Carver tried hard, but lacked things like a big library, gym, more computers, etc. The teachers seemed really good. They got the best teachers from around the county there because it was so bad before. They have a good reading & math program too.

It could be worse, actually I was very pessimistic about it and it turned out better than I thought.

devilvice

Angel
Originally posted by Tina2001aniT
Move to Calvert...good schools here...St. Leonard Elementary :clap:

Thanks, I went to elementary school over there at appeal and loved it. However, I am moving out of state next year anyway, I would just like to start my daughter off right from the start. In all honesty I like calvert a lot better than St. Mary's. But that is just my opinion.

Tina2001aniT

Thanks, I went to elementary school over there at appeal and loved it. However, I am moving out of state next year anyway, I would just like to start my daughter off right from the start. In all honesty I like calvert a lot better than St. Mary's. But that is just my opinion.

IMO appeal is even one of the worst in the county......St. Leonard and Plum Point are the best around....:clap:

devilvice

Angel
Actually I went to appeal years ago so I am sure it may have changed from when I went there till now.... anyway.. thanks for your suggestions.. i decided to enroll in Prep n Play and she starts in 2 weeks, I figured it was the medium between daycare and regular school with buses. So I think I am happy now.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Who's her teacher? You'll be happy with P&P, they are great.

My daughter has been there for 2 years and will be in the before/after care this year.

devilvice

Angel
I think her name is Tiffany.. Gee I forgot.. I went this morning and met with them and called this afternoon to tell them yes. Its the 3 year old class. I talked with Tammy and she seems really nice. Im just scared because my daughter will be around a lot of kids and a new environment. But everyone says that I will be more of a basket case and my daughter will adapt just fine. I guess I know she is growing up on me.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
She'll be fine and you'll be okay. Mine starts kindergarten this year. :ohwell:

Tammy is great, I have known her and her husband for many, many years. Good people. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by CMC122
Does P&P have part time students?
Not sure about the younger ones, but they do before and after care for kindergartners that go to Hollywood Elementary.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by RoseRed
Not sure about the younger ones, but they do before and after care for kindergartners that go to Hollywood Elementary.
Thanks! I'm just gonna check them out this week. He's only 3 just want him to get out and play with some other kids his age.

K

KaZamm1061

I can tell you that i heard the same bad things about Carver. BUT, since they moved to the Annex <Temporary Building> i Had my daughter there and it is not at all what the people say.. They have great teachers that acually work with the kids etc.. I even went in to watch a few classes and i was impressed with not only the way they teach but the way they handle the children..

devilvice

Angel
Thanks for the input about Carver...K... but I think I will enjoy having my daughter at Prep n Play a lot better than any regular school.. Plus Im moving to Ohio next year so that rules out school transfering...but thanks

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Originally posted by RoseRed
She'll be fine and you'll be okay. Mine starts kindergarten this year. :ohwell:

Tammy is great, I have known her and her husband for many, many years. Good people. :yay:
:yeahthat: Prep & Play is GREAT-you will be very pleased with them....I still wish my daughter was there but she is 6 now :bawl: I hated having to leave but the experience with them was awesome. Good Luck