Hitting the road

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Just 2 more seasons left before we trade in fixed addresses for gypsy passports. That day will be here before we know it.

Interested parties may find this video useful. While it isn't the exact RV we will use, it's the same year, make & model. We have the dinette instead of the table and chairs. Under the seats is much needed storage space. The outside also has a lot of storage area. It's nice to take stuff with you on the road.

We went to the RV show at the state fairgrounds this weekend. We were hoping to find some RV accessories and maybe a few RV hacks that we could incorporate. We didn't find any but got a good look at the latest model motor homes. Some of those beasts carry a $300K + price tag.

What to take and what to leave behind are the issues right now. You can't take it all is a quote from a full time RVer most likely. So the needs and the wants get prioritized. Using clear, plastic bins we can put different gear together and have it handy when we need it.

Our plan includes setting up an outdoor kitchen. So far we have a propane, 2 burner grill, electric skillet, toaster oven and charcoal grill accessories. When we head to campgrounds we set this up and so far it's worked well. We've entertained up to 16 people. Using disposable plates helps with clean up. We have a 2 basin wash method for doing dishes. Trying to find items that serve a dual purpose is very helpful.

The actual RV with towed vehicle attached and deep freeze in the truck bed
jerome 017 - Copy.jpg

We'll add more as we move forward. We look forward to sharing all our activities along with the challenges that we may face down the road.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Cool. Look me and the mrs. up in a few years in Yellowstone where we plan to work part time in the park as employees of the concessionaire contracted with the NPS. Spend May - Sep out there, then ease on back to Fl by about late Oct, resume the complete retired aspect, then do it all again the next year.

We've found out from other retired people we know that have worked in Yellowstone for the summer is just like not working at all.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Cool. Look me and the mrs. up in a few years in Yellowstone where we plan to work part time in the park as employees of the concessionaire contracted with the NPS. Spend May - Sep out there, then ease on back to Fl by about late Oct, resume the complete retired aspect, then do it all again the next year.

We've found out from other retired people we know that have worked in Yellowstone for the summer is just like not working at all.

I spent the summer of 2012 with Xanterra in YNP. They hire 3,300 seasonal employees to work in the park each summer. I had a great time when I was out there. I really didn't want to work but that was the only way to stay for 3 months for free. I fished, hiked and did the tourist thing out to Cody, Gardiner, West Yellowstone and the Jackson Hole area. PM me if you want to know anything specific.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Add portable smoker to our outdoor kitchen, which is my favorite part of living in the RV.

This was going to be my plan - workamping around the country - but David and I were able to make it work so that I could continue with Somd.com. Amazon has a terrific workamping program in several locations.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Sounds fantastic! So, I gather you are heading off in Spring 2016. I have to admit, I am a little jealous. Not an option in our life right now. If it ever were to be that my hub and I become free spirit gypsies, it would be by boat; my hub's dream. I am not 100% on board with that idea, but we shall see/sea. :lol: I hope your excellent adventure is all that y'all hope it will be.

I am amazed of the items that can be toted around in an RV after what has been said here. I had no clue. I see many on the road, and think gas use must be killer, but it must work out, or so many wouldn't be doing it. I would surmise it is better than a mortgage. :lol:

Last edited:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Add portable smoker to our outdoor kitchen, which is my favorite part of living in the RV.

This was going to be my plan - workamping around the country - but David and I were able to make it work so that I could continue with Somd.com. Amazon has a terrific workamping program in several locations.

Did you get or do you have some ideas for re-vamping of the fabric for cushions/window treatments?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Did you get or do you have some ideas for re-vamping of the fabric for cushions/window treatments?

We need to rent the Rug Doctor and clean the carpet and upholstery, then we'll go from there. I'm thinking with some throw pillows and accents, the windows and cushions will be fine.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I'm so excited for you both, and looking forward to living vicariously through you. Take lots of pictures!

belvak

Happy Camper
So, it's now "Forums" official! You better post pictures. There are a lot of us who want to live the dream with you!!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We need to rent the Rug Doctor and clean the carpet and upholstery, then we'll go from there. I'm thinking with some throw pillows and accents, the windows and cushions will be fine.

:yay: If you want to borrow my Rainbow to vacuum everything real good before you get the RD thingy, let me know when and I'll bring it over and help u with that. We could take a weekend day and just do a field day thing with it.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Choosing the rig is a fun yet annoying dilemma.

How'd you come down to gas A and towing a car? I used to figure a diesel, at 25,000 miles a year or so, would be 4 mpg better than gas, saving $4-5 k a year on fuel, 10 years, pays for the diesel.

I kept coming to a 5th wheel toy hauler (motorcycles) with a 4wd dually which could also be a work truck. But, then, I correspond with a guy who does the tractor conversion and they actually day or weekend camp with it while leaving their 5th wheel at site. Plus they load a smart car on the tractor. I always end up going round and round and kept eliminating an A and tow vehicle because that's two engines and drive trains and all that to keep up on. yet... and on and on... :lol:

Good for you guys!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
:yay: If you want to borrow my Rainbow to vacuum everything real good before you get the RD thingy, let me know when and I'll bring it over and help u with that. We could take a weekend day and just do a field day thing with it.

That would be a great idea.

My dad bought an RV with the intent to travel several years ago. Things didn't happen the way he planned and he isn't in good health now to travel at all. Anyway, the one he bought was at an excellent price, about 60 percent of retail but was a repo with low miles. It was absolutely filthy. I am not sure if the steam cleaner user actually used too much water (which would be something my dad would do :eyebrow:) or what..... but that confined space seemed to take too long to dry.

He has since sold that RV and his dreams to travel a thing of the past so good for you both to do this *NOW* while able.